NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Default What are your opinions...is this auction worth it?

The sale is for a '52 Frank Crosetti. I'd LOVE to have this for my set. The centering is great, the eye appeal and color is great. The only rub is the reverse. There's some mild staining, primarily around the number in the upper left corner.

Now, when it comes to the reverse, I'm not as much of a stickler...doesn't bother me if it's off center, so long as the front side is centered, but stains are a different issue. I draw the line at gumstains, but these look different. Grease or slight moisture damage. But it's not that bad, not as bad as gumstains I've seen, and it doesn't change the fact that the front side is great.

And look, I buy the card, not the plastic, and I'm a collector, not a dealer looking for a quick profit. But I still try to be wise, to invest my money in the best cards I can, that should the need arise, I can sell and recoup what I spent.

What is your opinion of this card? Would you buy it? Or is the stain a dealbreaker, and a potential hit to it's overall value?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...-/271220680226
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Patrick N.

Default Stains

I think the stains are pretty minor that they don't take away from the quality/look of the card. If I were paying huge $ on a PSA 7 or higher though on a card like this I would probably avoid paying that much as when you would resell it you might have problems getting your $ back. But on a PSA 5 card this sort of blemish is pretty common.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

That's a really sharp looking card. The stain on the back wouldn't bother me at all. However, if you are the type of person who, every time you admire the front you are thinking about the slight back stain, well, uh, you know, could you still just enjoy the card?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Todd Schultz

Go ahead and get it. You know you want it. It's a very nice card.

I have absolutely no problems with product stains on the reverse of cards, at least for mid-grade cards--they're just a badge of authenticity. Here these look to be particularly minor, although they may not be product stains. If they truly bother you "as a collector" then pass, but I really doubt that these stains will adversely affect this card's resale value to any significant degree.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Doesn't look like gum stain.

Last edited by 67_Palmer; 06-10-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Looks like a very insignificant wax stain witha couple of very small spots of foxing. Buy It! It's a great card with great eye appeal and a top drawer "5". Probably go for 250 or more? What would you pay? Dave.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM

thanks a lot for the comments all. It's a really nice card, and Frank Crossetti's a toughie. The first example I've seen on ebay that I really liked. I'll definitely be watching this one...
Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Crosetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
The sale is for a '52 Frank Crosetti. I'd LOVE to have this for my set. The centering is great, the eye appeal and color is great. The only rub is the reverse. There's some mild staining, primarily around the number in the upper left corner.

Now, when it comes to the reverse, I'm not as much of a stickler...doesn't bother me if it's off center, so long as the front side is centered, but stains are a different issue. I draw the line at gumstains, but these look different. Grease or slight moisture damage. But it's not that bad, not as bad as gumstains I've seen, and it doesn't change the fact that the front side is great.

And look, I buy the card, not the plastic, and I'm a collector, not a dealer looking for a quick profit. But I still try to be wise, to invest my money in the best cards I can, that should the need arise, I can sell and recoup what I spent.

What is your opinion of this card? Would you buy it? Or is the stain a dealbreaker, and a potential hit to it's overall value?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...-/271220680226
While reading your post, I was prepared to tell you to pass. However, after looking at it, it is barely noticeable at all. Alongside the other 406 (or 558 ), you will never know it. Very nice card!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Go for it, Crosetti is very tough to find well centered, and very desireable. You wont get it for a bargain, but you will will regret it if you dont bid!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

If this were a card I needed, I would be bidding. Not that PSA is the be all to end all, but they did not feel the stain on the back was worth placing a qualifier on the card ( ST ). Just have a reasonable price you are willing to pay and bid away. Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

I see your card is closing in a few minutes let us know how it went.

Post # 1
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Default 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I think the stains are pretty minor that they don't take away from the quality/look of the card. If I were paying huge $ on a PSA 7 or higher though on a card like this I would probably avoid paying that much as when you would resell it you might have problems getting your $ back. But on a PSA 5 card this sort of blemish is pretty common.

I think Patrick hit the. Nail on the head. I agree...as well
Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Just sold for 334$!!

Post# 2
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Go for it, Crosetti is very tough to find well centered, and very desireable. You wont get it for a bargain, but you will will regret it if you dont bid!

and THREE bidders over $230

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM

And I bought 2 in the the last 2 years for under $45 combined. (No, I'm not concerned about centering.)

Makes me wonder why people pay so much for graded cards, but I guess that's just me.

Last edited by SMPEP; 06-16-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

SMPEP

Everyone has different goals and different budgets...for some 334$ is a lot and for others it is nothing!! Like they say live and let live to each his own.

Post # 4
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM

Well in the end I opted not to bid on this one. Seeing the way the price was going, I just couldn't resolve paying that much for a card with staining on the reverse.

Maybe I'll have to wait for the National, but I figure if I'm gonna pay a premium, I'm gonna get one of the highest quality.

Instead, I won an auction for a '52 Clyde Sukeforth. Dead perfect centering, great colors and excellent corners. Grade PSA 5, but I plan to crack and resubmit. It'll be a welcome addition to my set!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
SMPEP

Everyone has different goals and different budgets...for some 334$ is a lot and for others it is nothing!! Like they say live and let live to each his own.

Post # 4
Or as some others might say " A fool and their money is soon parted ".
Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Jake Dahl

To me the card looks awesome and that slight blemish doesn't take away from the overall eye appeal, nice pickup

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

KCRfan1

Why is someone a fool because they can afford certain cards without worrying? You sound a bit bitter towards people who have deeper pockets (and this card at this price does not even need someone with a lot of money to be able to afford it)!!

Post # 1

Last edited by Zone91; 06-18-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
KCRfan1

Why is someone a fool because they can afford certain cards without worrying? You sound a bit bitter towards people who have deeper pockets (and this card at this price does not even need someone with a lot of money to be able to afford it)!!

Post # 1
I'm not getting baited into this...I assure you I am not bitter over anything. And you have NO idea how deep my pockets run. Don't assume....