NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Maintaining Focus in Set Building

Ok, so I worked on '53 Topps baseball for a couple of years. I "finished" it last summer. Within the last few weeks I have gone to work doing a little upgrading. I am within a dozen or so cards from being complete again. I really enjoy the look of this set. It has really captured my imagination for a long time. I must admit, however, I am getting a little tired of it right now and am getting the urge to work on something else. I have maintained focus on '53 for a good long while. Is it unwise to shift my focus elsewhere and come back and finish later??
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Sets

Why? I work on completing several sets at a time. In my opinion it s the best way to do it as you can switch sets as opportunities arise. I keep detailed notes about each set I am building and go back to re read the notes as a refresher often.

In fact I started keeping notes about sets by clipping various posts about each particular set from these very Net54 posts almost from the beginning of the forum.

I have learned so much and have relished going over the quirks of each set. Good luck and have fun!

Z Wheat
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Patrick N.

Default No

No, start a new set or else it will feel like a "chore" finishing the 53 plus you will be tempted to over spend to be "done" with it. That said, choose carefully your next set.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
No, start a new set or else it will feel like a "chore" finishing the 53 plus you will be tempted to over spend to be "done" with it. That said, choose carefully your next set.
You absolutely hit the nail on the head! Those have been my thoughts. I stopped tonight and realized it wasn't enjoyable like it was supposed to be. There are a few troublesome cards that have me stuck, and I was about to overpay/settle. I will move on and keep an eye open for the remaining 53s as I go. Thanks, just another example of why I love this board! You guys are a great resource. The longer I collect, the more I learn "how" to collect.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Why? I work on completing several sets at a time. In my opinion it s the best way to do it as you can switch sets as opportunities arise. I keep detailed notes about each set I am building and go back to re read the notes as a refresher often.

In fact I started keeping notes about sets by clipping various posts about each particular set from these very Net54 posts almost from the beginning of the forum.

I have learned so much and have relished going over the quirks of each set. Good luck and have fun!

Z Wheat
Thank you once again for sound, timely advice. I thought I was the only one who kept notes, spreadsheets, etc. And you are right, Net54 is one of the most informative places to pick up good info. I learn a lot from you guys. I am not sure if I will work on '54(which I have a little start on), '56, or '57. I can't really go wrong.

Robert
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Jake Dahl

I keep notes too like if I get a card I needed I cross it off my list and go on. I always have my needs/wants for sets printed out so I can take it with me to the card show and cross them off as I go.

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Mark

When I work on sets I keep my goals smaller and actually work on them one series at a time. That makes it easier to work on a couple sets at the same time and still feel like I have accomplishments along the way.

Right now I'm working on finishing the fourth series of 1957 (4 cards left), series one of 1953 and the second series of 1958. That keeps me looking at only about 175 cards at any given time.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
When I work on sets I keep my goals smaller and actually work on them one series at a time. That makes it easier to work on a couple sets at the same time and still feel like I have accomplishments along the way.

Right now I'm working on finishing the fourth series of 1957 (4 cards left), series one of 1953 and the second series of 1958. That keeps me looking at only about 175 cards at any given time.
Good strategy...never thought of it that way.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Great advice. I usually work on 1 or 2 sets at a time while also working on any upgrades to sets previouslly completed. I am also always working on non-set building interests such as T206 Hall of Famer's and specific cards. I need the variety to not have that chore-like feeling Patrick mentioned.

Last edited by brob28; 06-12-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

"Chore" is the word for it, and that is the last thing I would want this great hobby to become for me or any collector. I now see that is exactly what was happening. I was on the verge of frustration. Now, not so much!

I have accumulated a decent start to '54 Topps. I will continue that, focusing particularly on Series 1. Along with that, I will pick a series in '56 or '57 and get going on that (not sure which, as I really like them both). In the meantime, I will keep a sharp eye out for good examples of the last few '53s I need to recomplete that set. Thanks for all the good ideas.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I got my lot of SGC graded 53's on Ebay...i put it up once in a while..this time i was told to use a B/O function. Trying to concentrate on just 1 player.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

In considering 56 Topps, I have a question about the white/gray back variation on cards 1-180. Does it matter? Should I pick a color and stick with it? Mix and match? White, I think, is supposedly more rare 1-100 and gray 101-180...right? Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There is no right or wrong in this; do what you like because it is supposed to be fun.

My view on finishing cards from mainstream postwar sets is that there is no hurry given the large supply out there for sale at any given time. Now, if there is a rare variation or you are collecting a specific slab, well, you may have to move on those when they pop up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I agree with Adam, do what you want so it stays fun for you. I was not concerned with white vs. grey back when building my '56 set. Doesn't matter to me, if it does to you - have at it and have fun! BTW - I love the '56 set, my personal favorite post war set.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Mark

I did the 1956 set in entirely grey back. That's only because I thought the card stock looked better.

Sometimes I'll do that with card stock on sets like 1959 and 1960 where there is one series that has both color stock. On those two sets I didn't worry about the stock but it would loook really cool in a binder to have the entire set alternating the card stock by series.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I did the 1956 set in entirely grey back. That's only because I thought the card stock looked better.

Sometimes I'll do that with card stock on sets like 1959 and 1960 where there is one series that has both color stock. On those two sets I didn't worry about the stock but it would loook really cool in a binder to have the entire set alternating the card stock by series.
Great point. If my memory serves correct I thought the '56 Koufax card looked washed out with the white stock when compared to the grey stock. Could be the reverse as I'm at work and going from memory.

Last edited by brob28; 06-13-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I am starting to think I might just go all gray. It would be cheaper 101-180 anyway. I guess I wouldn't turn away a white back at a good price, but i am not going to look for them. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
In considering 56 Topps, I have a question about the white/gray back variation on cards 1-180. Does it matter? Should I pick a color and stick with it? Mix and match? White, I think, is supposedly more rare 1-100 and gray 101-180...right? Thoughts?
Grey and white are just as easy (or hard) to find 1-100, but the whites are way harder from 101-180.

I'm nuts, so I did both backs when I put together my set.

Doug