NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Paging Al S. (Batsballsbases...)

Al:

I was amazed at the final price of this Maris Pinback. The winning bidder even had an additional ceiling bid above his winning bid...

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160396096243

3 quick questions...

1. Is this a typical price for this piece?

2. Does the companion Mantle piece tend to sell for less, the same, or more?

3. How often do these "60 in '61" Pins actually turn up?

I have seen your previous posts here, but had no idea as to the value/scarcity of these. They must be exceedingly rare!

Thanks, Mark
Old 01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Al

Default Al S.

Hi Mark,
As you know I always like to know some history about pins and this pin has always been a very strange pin. Yes this pin in nice shape as the one that was on ebay usually goes at that price 5000 or more. The last 3 on ebay went in a range of 5500- 7700 in a span of about the last 3+ years. I do know who won the pin and in my estimate he got a very good deal. He got it at the lower end of the range. I can also tell you that he was a bidder on the last 2 that were on and believe me there was some money left on the table here I was in contact with the person who owned it and he really had no idea that this pin was worth so much. The person who owned it had a very intresting story about this pin that his mother had purchased it for him from an add back in 1961 . You could buy the mantle or the maris and he chose the maris as he was a big willie mays fan and didnt want to get the mantle. Its an intresting story about an add to send away for these pins as I have never found any adds about them. In all the years that I have been collecting most all of these pins seem to come out of California. As his did when he was about 18.(He Lived in California) He moved out at eighteen and never went back until his mother passed away . In cleaning out the house he found some of his items from when he was young stored in a box and the maris pin that was purchased for him by his mother was still there! As for mantle vs maris I do find in tracking these that the Mantle is a little more rare than the Maris,but very nice examples command great prices,as many of them seem to fox or spot easily. Also the mantle pin seems to come in different how can I say this shades of white. There is a more creamy white and a more softer white. It doesnt surprise me that pairs of these pins (which never come up as pairs) command anywhere from 10000 to 12000 dollars. Depending on condition. As for how many are out there who really knows but the best I can figure is somewhere at about 50. With 25+ being it great condition. One day when I have the time I will tell you a great story on how I ended up getting my Maris pin! Here are my 2!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks so much Al... intriguing information, and very interesting stuff!

I look forward to hearing the story of how you acquired yours one day (hopefully in the not-too-distant future!)

Thanks again for the great recap,
Mark
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Rick P

Excellent insights...thanks for sharing the backstory.

Any idea why the emphasis was on tying the record of 60 rather than breaking it? I would have thought "61 in '61" would have been the battlecry.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Al

Default Al S

Rick,
That is a great question. As the season went on most people really believed that Mantle was going to be the one to break the record but as we know he got hurt and finished with 54. Many fans really didnt want Maris to break the record that Ruth had set as ruth was considered the greatest yankee. 61 in 61 did become the battle cry and maybe is part of the answer to why these pins dont show up that often. I believe that the pin maker jumped the gun and made a mistake in putting 60 instead of 61 on these pins. There are about 3-4 other pins in this what I will call set of pins. A large rare 6 inch and 2 3 1/2 inch ones that are also very rare. But those 3 all state 61 in 61 . As I believe that these pins were all made very late in the race to 61 and maybe that is why they are so rare. I can tell you in my collecting time the 3 1/2 inch ones are very hard to come by but if you look at the picture on one of them it really makes maris look a little goofy IMO. Here is a picture of what I was talking about. The large 6 inch pin does come up more often and usually sells in the 1000-1600 range.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Rick P

You're right! Roger looks like a bobble-head...or maybe this was the inspiration for the Jib Jab videos...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Al

Default Al S

Rick,
Your right! I always found it to look like the revenge of Chucky