NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default Everyone's favorite auction house

Does intent matter when it comes to the alteration of a baseball card? And can you determine intent simply because the attempt was not completely successful. This card raises some interesting questions:

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/190...-LOT19205.aspx

Especially considering their pledge to pull any card that has been determined to be altered. Perhaps they meant only if a before scan is available.

It also looks like their rule does not apply to memorabilia.

This is a current listing that's been cleaned up:

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Exc...-LOT19069.aspx

This is what it looked like before:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=56621
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (81.5 KB, 1195 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (21.5 KB, 1178 views)
Old 08-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Rhett Yeakley

What exactly would you have Al do the day before the auction ends? He states he contacted all bidders when he found out and has in large Red writing in the description that they found some new info. It really makes things tough when it is the day before the auction ends.

Some still may not see the updates and I'm sure Al will check with the winner and cancel if they don't want the card after the auction to make sure they aren't upset.

Much different than what Brent tried to do by hiding the T3 Cobb update in the fine print of the auction in my opinion. Also, find several thousand more examples and maybe you could be on to something... but you are probably right Al is probably just as immoral as Brent, that is what you are trying to imply, right?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-24-2019, 05:33 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE: It was pointed out to us that this sign closely resembles a dirtier example of the sign that was recently sold at auction. In discussing this with our consignor, we were advised that this sign was cleaned with cotton balls and distilled water. While this type of cleaning is typical with non-porous items of this nature, in an effort to be consistent with our policy regarding restoration, we have communicated this with our bidders and are amending our description accordingly.
This is the disclaimer in the text of the auction, which you have to scroll down to the bottom of the listing to read. Not sure if it was there when you posted 20 minutes ago.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
What exactly would you have Al do the day before the auction ends? He states he contacted all bidders when he found out and has in large Red writing in the description that they found some new info. It really makes things tough when it is the day before the auction ends.

Some still may not see the updates and I'm sure Al will check with the winner and cancel if they don't want the card after the auction to make sure they aren't upset.

Much different than what Brent tried to do by hiding the T3 Cobb update in the fine print of the auction in my opinion. Also, find several thousand more examples and maybe you could be on to something... but you are probably right Al is probably just as immoral as Brent, that is what you are trying to imply, right?
I would expect them to do what they said they would do. This is copied and pasted from their earlier statement:

It has long been our belief that any process designed to disguise or remove wear or degradation that has happened to a card should be called what it is: an alteration. We understand that some alterations are considered acceptable by many hobbyists, and that some alterations are virtually undetectable. However, we still consider them alterations.

Should any hobbyist discover compelling evidence that a card in our auction has been altered, we will withdraw the card immediately.

While we can never eliminate 100% of undisclosed alterations, and would never pledge to be able to catch them all or be mistake-free, we can establish procedures that help us identify and remove such items from our auction.

Both of these listings seem to contradict their own statement, although the second listing is not a card.

I am actually curious to see what the reaction will be around here now that it's LOTG and not PWCC.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The thing is, with that tin sign, I suppose you could do the same thing by just putting it outside during a hard rainstorm, letting the rain clean it off.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 08-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post

I am actually curious to see what the reaction will be around here now that it's LOTG and not PWCC.
I am sure it is going to be very different as Al hasn't been shown to be involved in selling "hundreds" of altered cards and possible shill bids over the past few years and doesn't have the absolutely horrible reputation that Brent now enjoys.

Also, again, it is the day of the auction ending! I personally think the card should be ended but that is my opinion and I am sure Al would let the high bidder out if they didn't see the addendum that is not hidden (red lettering w/ yellow background).

Also, the sign is a very different situation as cleaning a large sign is pretty much normal in that hobby. Why wouldn't you clean with simple water something like that?

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:01 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The tin sign is a different situation than a card. Apples to oranges. Graded trading cards are a unique genre, where they are professionally graded and entombed, and minuscule differences in condition (idiotically) greatly affect value. The whole area of graded grading cards has separated itself from other collectibles (and sometimes common sense). The whole recent scandal these days with trading cards is alterations undetected by graders and not being reflected in the label's grade. Tin signs aren't professionally graded and entombed, and obviously, this one hasn't been, so there's no 'cognitive dischord' between the sign and the grade on the label (as there is no label) . . . It's no minor detail that LOTG's text is specified for trading cards,and the tin sign would better be compared to a raw card.

The cleaning of the tin sign has been disclosed and that answers that . . . As a side issue, I don't believe removing grime and dirt from a tine sign is detrimental. In fact, some would say the opposite. Though I don't know what exactly was done. Though, as I just said, disclosure is important.

I don't know how the alteration of the card was included (or not) in the grade-- perhaps it was . . . I don't know, and admit I'm not up to date with the details of grading, but do know that erasure marks and pencil marks are often part of the grade. So no opinion at the moment on that card . . . . . . Though the quoted rule should have noted that it's about alterations that are not reflected in the grade.

Last edited by drcy; 08-24-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Al

Hi Jesse:

Allow me to address your concerns.

1) I spoke with the Reach sign consignor on Thursday night and was advised the sign had been cleaned with distilled water. Given the sign is a non-porous, tin sign, I do not consider that to be any more an alteration than, say, cleaning ashes out of the ashtray in Lot 98 (which was probably also done at some point). Despite this, on Friday I reached out to every bidder on the lot by phone, explained the situation, and gave each the opportunity to cancel their bids. None took me up on the offer. After I had spoken with each bidder, I added the notation to the description so that any potential new bidder could also see it. With an hour to go in extended bidding, there have been, thus far, no new bidders.

2) The E95 Cobb issue was pointed out to me overnight last night. This morning I inspected the card, and decided that the appropriate course of action in this case was to send out an errata email to all the bidders on the card, advise them of the situation, and give each of them the opportunity to cancel their bids. One did. I also wrote an addendum to the description to alert additional potential bidders.

Your attempt to draw ANY correlation between my behavior and fraudulent, illegal activity on the part of other companies is exactly what it sounds like.

Warm regards,
-Al
Old 08-24-2019, 06:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

So why do you think it's debatable that an attempt to remove a stain was done deceptively? And why is that even relevant to whether or not you adhere to your own policy?

I haven't accused any one of fraudulent activity, and don't believe there is necessarily anything wrong with some of the outed cards that have simply been cleaned up a little.

But it does seem disingenuous in my opinion to put out a statement saying if you discover a card in your auction has been altered you will pull it immediately, only to leave one that has been up in your next auction.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm sad all those signed cards have JSA stickers on the back. They're ruined its archaic. Maybe they can be removed by soaking

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I think trying to compare LOTG fully disclosing these issues to all bidders immediately (basically) and offering all of them an opportunity to pull their bids to what PWCC has been doing for years is laughable. It's not even in the same hemisphere let alone ballpark. So waiting for some major scandalous reaction is pointless here.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Great comment, David

Thank you for clarifying the situation with actual knowledge.

Tim

Ps. Am I am the only one getting really weary of all the self appointed moral arbiters hovering around every hobby event?

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The tin sign is a different situation than a card. Apples to oranges. Graded trading cards are a unique genre, where they are professionally graded and entombed, and minuscule differences in condition (idiotically) greatly affect value. The whole area of graded grading cards has separated itself from other collectibles (and sometimes common sense). The whole recent scandal these days with trading cards is alterations undetected by graders and not being reflected in the label's grade. Tin signs aren't professionally graded and entombed, and obviously, this one hasn't been, so there's no 'cognitive dischord' between the sign and the grade on the label (as there is no label) . . . It's no minor detail that LOTG's text is specified for trading cards,and the tin sign would better be compared to a raw card.

The cleaning of the tin sign has been disclosed and that answers that . . . As a side issue, I don't believe removing grime and dirt from a tine sign is detrimental. In fact, some would say the opposite. Though I don't know what exactly was done. Though, as I just said, disclosure is important.

I don't know how the alteration of the card was included (or not) in the grade-- perhaps it was . . . I don't know, and admit I'm not up to do date with the details of grading, but do know that erasure marks and pencil marks are often part of the grade. So no opinion at the moment on that card . . . . . . Though quoted rule should have noted that it's about alterations that are not reflected in the grade.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'm sad all those signed cards have JSA stickers on the back. They're ruined its archaic. Maybe they can be removed by soaking
Agreed, many of those signed 55 Bowman umpires are VERY tough and the sticker is a major downer!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Bill Mc.Nutt

There was more than "cotton balls & water" used to clean that sign!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnutt View Post
There was more than "cotton balls & water" used to clean that sign!
That could easily be all it was.

I've cleaned up lots of old metal stuff, and if it's just accumulated dirt from the air it comes off easy.
Heck, I have a whole garagefull of stuff that probably needs a bit of that right now.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I fully aagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I think trying to compare LOTG fully disclosing these issues to all bidders immediately (basically) and offering all of them an opportunity to pull their bids to what PWCC has been doing for years is laughable. It's not even in the same hemisphere let alone ballpark. So waiting for some major scandalous reaction is pointless here.
No clear before and after (on the card). Full disclosure. Option to withdraw - What a better market place it would be if all auction houses were so responsive!!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:50 PM
Fred

Personally, I think LOTG does a good job. If they see something in an item they'll take the right action to make corrections. Here's a good example:

A card in this latest auction was found to have a pin hole that wasn't noticed before. The card is graded. What did LOTG do? They gave everyone who bid on the card the opportunity to pull their bid. The item description was updated to let everyone about the pin hole. Not sure what else more they could do.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that LOTG does the right thing.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default +10000

LOTG is the epitome of an honest broker in this hobby. Why do people want to drag them down into the muck of pwcc, psa, etc?
Old 08-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Jesse does it every auction, it's his favorite hobby along with consigning altered cards to PWCC.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Well put,Jeff

I guess everyone has their own way of enjoying the hobby 🤮
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Jesse does it every auction, it's his favorite hobby along with consigning altered cards to PWCC.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I am not waiting for any reaction and this is about what I expected. I figured there would be a few more posts about how they're the greatest, most honest auction house in the hobby.

I think it's unlikely that they didn't know the the tin had been cleaned up well before it was disclosed, and that they didn't notice the card had the alteration before they were tipped off.

If the consensus around here is that this type of alteration or conservation is acceptable I have a feeling the hobby will soon evolve to accept others that have only removed things from a card that were not there originally.

I personally don't think erasing a stain and damaging a card in the process is somehow better than using distilled water or a chemical to remove one and leaving no trace behind. I'm not sure it's any worse either.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

How is a tin sign a card? The whole equivalence is false.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-25-2019, 12:23 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
I am not waiting for any reaction and this is about what I expected. I figured there would be a few more posts about how they're the greatest, most honest auction house in the hobby.
Yes you were absolutely looking for a reaction, otherwise why even point it out? Also, people will come to their defense because they are good people that try to do the right thing and stand for something... you know unlike you.

Quote:
I think it's unlikely that they didn't know the the tin had been cleaned up well before it was disclosed, and that they didn't notice the card had the alteration before they were tipped off.
Again, a tin sign is not a card, which is what we have all been talking about. Also, thanks for letting us know what Al & Jeff did or didn't know & what they did or didn't notice, that is very helpful as you are obviously in a position to know what is going in their heads.

Quote:
If the consensus around here is that this type of alteration or conservation is acceptable I have a feeling the hobby will soon evolve to accept others that have only removed things from a card that were not there originally.

I personally don't think erasing a stain and damaging a card in the process is somehow better than using distilled water or a chemical to remove one and leaving no trace behind. I'm not sure it's any worse either.
You seem to think that you have made some sort of point and are drawing some conclusion from that but you haven't... in fact everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The OP needs to find a more appropriate place to direct his anger. LOTG handled everything in textbook fashion, and with full disclosure. Each bidder was contacted personally... even though the water cleaning was a non-issue to begin with.

The Sign is in no way comparable to a Card that resides in a falsely numbered slab. Memorabilia is different from cards, always has been, and there is zero comparison here.

I've cleaned off pieces that arrive dirty or grimey, and so has everyone else. It's normal and accepted (if not expected) with these types of items. Trimming, bleaching, recoloring, and anything else done to alter an item's original properties... a whole different animal.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-25-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:38 AM
Robert Williams

On a side note.....a $10k profit on cleaning a sign up with cotton balls and water was a nice score!!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:43 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default pretty crazy

I collect old cards old signs and my wife is old like me. I've really NEVER HEARD such a ridiculous argument about cleaning a sign. If you RESTORE the sign that's one thing. Please keep your discussions to cards where I assume you likely know something about them.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:38 AM

David's and Rhett's replies hit the mark squarely. A sign is a sign. It is not a card. To compare Al's auction with the atrocities committed by other auction houses with respect to cardboard cards is a leap of faith that in a fact-driven world is laughable.

Sorry, Jesse, you should direct your energy toward the folks who are committing card crimes, not for honest people like Al. Let's save the moral outrage for real hobby offenders.

Mike
Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Nothing wrong done here.

Have you ever attended a car auction? Every car is shiny on the outside and immaculate on the inside. Obviously, they have been washed, waxed and vacuumed. Should that be disclosed to the buyer? I don't think so and that's how I feel about signs.

This thread is nonsense.

Al is one of the good guys in the hobby.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-25-2019, 08:42 AM
je.sse @rnot

Looks like a few of you misread my comment. I'm well aware a tin advertising sign is not a card. It should be just as obvious that an E95 Cobb is a card.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Al Richter

I think it is commendable that Al used distilled water and not cheap beer
Old 08-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No, dude, you misread everything. The Cobb was discovered last day and LOTG informed all the bidders and let them decide what to do. The core of the doctoring activity is fraud, specifically nondisclosure of known alterations to the buyers. Telling someone the card history when it becomes known and letting them decide with full disclosure is what we expect. There is no fraud with disclosure.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-25-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:03 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post

Sorry, Jesse, you should direct your energy toward the folks who are committing card crimes, not for honest people like Al. Let's save the moral outrage for real hobby offenders.
Agree 100% w/ Mike
Old 08-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
LOTG handled everything in textbook fashion, and with full disclosure. Each bidder was contacted personally... even though the water cleaning was a non-issue to begin with. I've cleaned off pieces that arrive dirty or grimey, and so has everyone else. It's normal and accepted (if not expected) with these types of items. Trimming, bleaching, recoloring, and anything else done to alter an item's original properties... a whole different animal.
+1 in a big way. In fact, admin might consider removing this thread as unnecessarily mean-spirited, but I'm also for letting stuff stay there for us to haggle over until we get tired of it and move on. Full disclosure, big Al C. fan here.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 08-25-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:29 AM
je.sse @rnot

My issue with this card is not the alteration or disclosure posted the last day of the auction. It has more to do with the perception that LOTG can do no wrong, yet they don't even follow their own standards.

The following are quotes from their own website:

"Any graded card valued over $500 will be reviewed carefully by LOTG under magnification, along with halogen and long-wave ultraviolet lighting. Should we discover any issues with which we are uncomfortable, the card will be resubmitted to the grading company for review or returned to the consignor at their request."

"Should any hobbyist discover compelling evidence that a card in our auction has been altered, we will withdraw the card immediately."

Clearly neither of these happened. The E95 was not carefully reviewed, nor was it pulled when the alteration was discovered. Again these are not my standards. These are pledges made by a company claiming to be above all of this.

The following is a quote from the disclosure added to the Cobb:

"While our policy is to withdraw items that are discovered to be altered, in this case we believe the alteration is visible enough that it is debatable whether or not it was done deceptively. "

In my opinion, this reads like they are justifying violating their own policy my making up some new standard that judges the intent of whoever altered this card. If I misread that, please let me know how it's supposed to read.

If none of you have a problem with any of this so be it.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Marty Pritchard

Quote:
It also looks like their rule does not apply to memorabilia.

This is a current listing that's been cleaned up:

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Exc...-LOT19069.aspx

This is what it looked like before:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=56621
Is it your thinking that someone purchased this sign from REA and then cleaned and consigned the exact same sign to LOTG for an auction ending one week later? That does not show any logic on your part IMO. The only way that this could happen is REA never had the sign in their possession and was consigned to more than one auction. Are you implying that REA is selling something that they do not have in their office? It would also seem that you must believe that REA did not plan on shipping this sign out since they did not have it.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Is it your thinking that someone purchased this sign from REA and then cleaned and consigned the exact same sign to LOTG for an auction ending one week later? That does not show any logic on your part IMO. The only way that this could happen is REA never had the sign in their possession and was consigned to more than one auction. Are you implying that REA is selling something that they do not have in their office? It would also seem that you must believe that REA did not plan on shipping this sign out since they did not have it.
REA sold the sign in the spring not a week ago.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am reluctant to post this because it feels in the spirit of no good deed goes unpunished. In normal circumstances I would have found Al's disclosure and notification commendable. That said, in my opinion, he should instead have taken the auction down. He made a bold and unequivocal statement that he would remove any card identified as altered from his auction, yet a card was identified as altered and he didn't remove it. I understand why he didn't, and of course it's easy to pass judgment from a distance, and I continue to hold him in high regard. But I think he should have followed his own policy and not tried to finesse it. Just my opinion.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Skip it.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 08-25-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Thought better of it.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Skip it.
Ha. I too have drafted and deleted numerous posts, each time deciding it’s just not worth getting into. Bottom line for me, Al is one of the good guys and LOTG is a top-notch outfit.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 08-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Eric
Eric

The consistency of the complainfest in this hobby is staggering. I love cards. I love talking cards. I love buying cards but threads like this sour the hobby in my opinion.
I should have known better than to open it in the first place. There are a ton of people on this message board and many have really strong opinions. There was no win in this situation. Because no matter what is done some will disagree. That’s life. This is cardboard and tin.
This guy, for one, is sick of all the complaining FOR THE SAKE OF COMPLAINING.
I just want the hobby. And intelligent discussions about it.
Next time I will know better than to open a thread that I know obviously where it is going.
Eric Recker. Just in case that is needed.

Edited to add- Al is one of the best in the hobby. I am thankful for him and his integrity. That is specifically for the op. Al is good stuff. Sorry if you disagree but the evidence is not on your side.

Last edited by iowadoc77; 08-25-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

One person’s complaining is another person identifying an issue they care about.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicem View Post
jesse does it every auction, it's his favorite hobby along with consigning altered cards to pwcc.
exactimundo!!!!!aaahhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyy
Old 08-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
The consistency of the complainfest in this hobby is staggering. I love cards. I love talking cards. I love buying cards but threads like this sour the hobby in my opinion.
I should have known better than to open it in the first place. There are a ton of people on this message board and many have really strong opinions. There was no win in this situation. Because no matter what is done some will disagree. That’s life. This is cardboard and tin.
This guy, for one, is sick of all the complaining FOR THE SAKE OF COMPLAINING.
I just want the hobby. And intelligent discussions about it.
Next time I will know better than to open a thread that I know obviously where it is going.
Eric Recker. Just in case that is needed.

Edited to add- Al is one of the best in the hobby. I am thankful for him and his integrity. That is specifically for the op. Al is good stuff. Sorry if you disagree but the evidence is not on your side.
I hate cards. I hate the hobby. I'm in to the hilt and the MAJORITY are scam artists. The intelligent discussions are on BO, where they show you exactly how it is being done . It is a huge syndicate and EVERYONE IS INVOLVED, IMHO. The have ruined the hobby. PERIOD

This is what hobbyists should be discussing , not their stupid collections...that they LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I think it is commendable that Al used distilled water and not cheap beer
Damn it Al, read the posts... It wasn't LOTG Al that cleaned it with distilled water, it was the consignor. Give LOTG Al more credit than that, I'm sure it wouldn't have been just any cheap beer if it were LOTG Al that cleaned it. I'm guessing a nice single malt Scotch would have been used.... sheesh Al....

Last edited by Fred; 08-25-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Al Richter

I still like my stupid collection
Old 08-25-2019, 12:43 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I still like my stupid collection
+1
Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I hate cards. I hate the hobby. I'm in to the hilt and the MAJORITY are scam artists. The intelligent discussions are on BO, where they show you exactly how it is being done . It is a huge syndicate and EVERYONE IS INVOLVED, IMHO. The have ruined the hobby. PERIOD

This is what hobbyists should be discussing , not their stupid collections...that they LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Chuck, I understand and share your frustration but if you hate cards and the hobby why keep on posting on a card hobby forum? Why not take a siesta unless you think these posts will affect some meaningful change to make it a hobby you like again?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
Chuck, I understand and share your frustration but if you hate cards and the hobby why keep on posting on a card hobby forum? Why not take a siesta unless you think these posts will affect some meaningful change to make it a hobby you like again?
Yes, I do think they will lead to meaningful changes if enough people would STOP doing what isn't working...That is my hope. Much like "I hope" the Dodgers are going to win another WS in my lifetime. Probably aint gonna happen.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, I do think they will lead to meaningful changes if enough people would STOP doing what isn't working...That is my hope. Much like "I hope" the Dodgers are going to win another WS in my lifetime. Probably aint gonna happen.
Tough to win a WS when you can count on Clayton to get shelled at least twice.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We discussed this before, Chuck. If you hate the hobby and will always hate it then go do something that makes you happy. Life is too short and your shit to equity ratio on our forum is becoming lopsided. We Pmd about this before and you said you would tone it down some? We all know there is fraud in the hobby and it is being talked about investigated, which is good.
But we also like to talk about fun things too. I would rather see positive talk about cards and collections but I am only one vote. That doesn't mean the other fraudulent stuff is being kept secret or squashed. No threads have been deleted and only a few moved, out of quite a few, concerning the fraud.

Here is a Forbes tri fold I picked up last night in LOTG....It went below my max bid too!
Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg forbes1.jpg (76.0 KB, 762 views)

Last edited by Leon; 08-25-2019 at 07:01 PM.