NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: Thoughts on Kaepernick & the national anthem
If I was owner of the team id cut him - he should move out of usa 41 32.28%
Dont like what hes doing but hes got the right to do it 66 51.97%
I like what hes protesting and id do it too 9 7.09%
Dont care at all 11 8.66%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The Washington Post data I read said 50% of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, 26% were black.
Unarmed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ice-shootings/
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Lets just cut the crap with all the statistics. My question still remains. Where is the outrage over the white victims of police shootings? And why do white people handle it differently than black people do????????? White people don't form hate groups (and, yes, BLM is a hate group) that advocates the killing of cops.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 09-06-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Lets just cut the crap with all the statistics. My question still remains. Where is the outrage over the white victims of police shootings? And why do white people handle it differently than black people do?????????
You want to know the difference? Police shootings aren't the issue. They are relatively infrequent all things considered. However, they represent the tipping point of a community (whether it be Baltimore, Ferguson, etc.) that has been subject to extreme levels of discrimination by the very people who are hired to protect them.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You want to know the difference? Police shootings aren't the issue. They are relatively infrequent all things considered. However, they represent the tipping point of a community (whether it be Baltimore, Ferguson, etc.) that has been subject to extreme levels of discrimination by the very people who are hired to protect them.
How are they being discriminated against by the police? You're confusing discrimination with justifiable reason to profile. When a certain group of people are responsible for a majority of the crime, doesn't it make sense that the police are going to scrutinize them more whether you agree that its fair or not?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Less than 3.
So if officers have been killed by unarmed citizens. Plus there have to be occasions where the attack to the officer was thwarted and/or was injured short of death. So not every unarmed citizen being killed can be considered wrong..

Just saying X amount of unarmed citizens being killed doesnt say whether the killing was justified..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Jake, here's a pretty good read. I know you'll read it fair and objectively...

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5...-aaron-bandler

No. 5 really hits hard.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
How are they being discriminated against by the police? You're confusing discrimination with justifiable reason to profile. When a certain group of people are responsible for a majority of the crime, doesn't it make sense that the police are going to scrutinize them more whether you agree that its fair or not?
I don't care about what is fair. I care about upholding the constitution. The DOJ published their findings of the Baltimore Police Department (BPD) a few weeks ago, below is the report.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/883366/download

"We find reasonable cause to believe that BPD engages in a pattern or practice of discriminatory policing against African Americans. Statistical evidence shows that the Department intrudes disproportionately upon the lives of African Americans at every stage of its enforcement activities."

"Arrests without probable cause: from 2010–2015, supervisors at Baltimore’s Central Booking and local prosecutors rejected over 11,000 charges made by BPD officers because they lacked probable cause or otherwise did not merit prosecution. Our review of incident reports describing warrantless arrests likewise found many examples of officers making unjustified arrests. In addition, officers extend stops without justification to search for evidence that would justify an arrest. These detentions—many of which last more than an hour— constitute unconstitutional arrests."

"In the five and a half years of data we examined, African Americans accounted for 95 percent of the 410 individuals BPD stopped at least 10 times. One African American man in his mid-fifties was stopped 30 times in less than 4 years. Despite these repeated intrusions, none of the 30 stops resulted in a citation or criminal charge."

The report even states that traffic stops of white individuals were more likely to result in a citation/criminal charge.

"In addition, BPD’s disproportionate enforcement against African Americans is suggestive of intentional discrimination because the racial disparities are greatest for enforcement activities that involve higher degrees of officer discretion. In the five years of arrest data we reviewed, African Americans accounted for a larger share of charges for highly discretionary misdemeanor offenses than for other offenses, including: 91 percent of those charged solely with trespassing, 91 percent of charges for failing to obey an officer’s orders, 88 percent of those arrested solely for “impeding” and 84 percent of people charged with disorderly conduct."

There is no freedom loving American who can read this report and believe the Constitution is being protected by the city of Baltimore.

You may believe that police need to resort to extrajudicial killings, arrests without cause and discrimination to uphold the peace, but it doesn't seem to be working. I think affording every American citizen their Constitutional rights might be worth a try - it sounds crazy, but it might just work.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Lets just cut the crap with all the statistics. My question still remains. Where is the outrage over the white victims of police shootings? And why do white people handle it differently than black people do????????? White people don't form hate groups (and, yes, BLM is a hate group) that advocates the killing of cops.
I love how you whine when nobody answers your questions but you continue to ignore questions posed to you.

Also, "justified profiling"? Haha, wow...that pretty much says it all. You're basically saying minorities don't even DESERVE to be treated equitably. I bet you're the kind of guy who thinks he isn't racist cuz he has a black "friend."
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I love how you whine when nobody answers your questions but you continue to ignore questions posed to you.

Also, "justified profiling"? Haha, wow...that pretty much says it all. You're basically saying minorities don't even DESERVE to be treated equitably. I bet you're the kind of guy who thinks he isn't racist cuz he has a black "friend."
Yes, in your leftest loon mind, that's what I'm saying
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Insults aside, you should take a few minutes tonight (or tomorrow) and skim through the DOJ report. It's truly sickening what our fellow American citizens are being subjected to. Most people don't care much for our Constitutional rights any more David, but to those of us who are still trying to protect them, it is appalling to see what is going on in Baltimore. I'll repost the report for you:

Old 09-06-2016, 10:10 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I care about upholding the constitution.
Umm, yeah, you've proven that's not true in some of our gun debates.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Umm, yeah, you've proven that's not true in some of our gun debates.
I am not going to turn this into a second amendment debate (you can PM me if you want).

The fact is that there are entire government entities that are systematically violating the fourth amendment rights of American citizens. You asked me how African Americans are being discriminated against, I responded with conclusive evidence that answers this question for you. Do you believe African Americans are not discriminated against by the Baltimore PD?

Last edited by jhs5120; 09-06-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Insults aside, you should take a few minutes tonight (or tomorrow) and skim through the DOJ report. It's truly sickening what our fellow American citizens are being subjected to. Most people don't care much for our Constitutional rights any more David, but to those of us who are still trying to protect them, it is appalling to see what is going on in Baltimore. I'll repost the report for you:

What I find sickening and appalling are the DOJ crime statistics committed by blacks:

62% of robberies
57% of murders
45% of assaults

Yet they only make up 13% of the population. Let's just both agree to be sickened and appalled and end this, deal?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Let's just both agree to be sickened and appalled and end this, deal?
Fair enough David. As always, this was a very interesting discussion. Happy collecting
Old 09-06-2016, 10:34 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough David. As always, this was a very interesting discussion. Happy collecting
Thank you! You too, Jason.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
That's exactly what you said though. Maybe you don't understand the words you used or the context you used them in? Blacks commit more crimes so pay more attention to blacks than anyone else based solely on skin color. Profiling is by definition based on stereotype and assumption and not facts, so if in your mind that can ever be justified you're clearly part of the problem.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:47 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Does Kaepernick not standing make us more or less uncomfortable than this?
2011928132859799580_20.jpg
Reading through this thread makes me more uncomfortable than any of these mentioned sporting gestures ever would.

To me this just shows how increasingly polar our country has become. This is definitely a worthy conversation topic, but within this thread it doesn't seem to matter how reasonably an argument is made (by either side), it's met with total rigidity, and what looks like a lot of pent up anger.

I don't have the want, nor the energy to really engage in the discussion here, especially since no one is changing their opinions anytime soon, but will say its tone disheartens me to say the least. I think in a lot of ways we're in a period of regression, and overall empathy is on short supply.

(ADDING-- Never been a Kaep fan but if he or others want to use their platform to make a statement, while also facing the possible repercussions, more power to them. If you love something but don't agree, you don't "leave it", you work toward fixing it)

Last edited by itjclarke; 09-06-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 09-07-2016, 04:40 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I have a question for dgo71 and packs. We all know about Philando Castille, Trayvon Martin, Freddie Gray, Michael Brown, Alton Sterling, Eric Garner, Walter Scott, Tamir Rice, and Laquan McDonald because you can't turn on a TV, computer, or radio without being bombarded about them. How many black men that were murdered by other black men in the last few years can the two of you name? I did all of those out of memory, so no cheating and researching names.
just to add - there are more whites killed by police than blacks, and its rarely ever talked about. Yes there are more % of whites in the usa so that souldnt be expected.

heres a little article on it from a liberal paper - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ut-minority-d/

you rarely here about these whites killed by cops though - people need to wake up and take responsibility for their own actions
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:46 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

after 168 posts id just like to remind everyone a part of the 1st post in this thread - "Maybe just a vote and no posts so we dont get too heated up!"

Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Per Washington Post, unarmed Americans killed by police officers:

Black: 38
White: 32
Hispanic: 18

Since there are roughly five times as many white Americans as black Americans, you would expect around 190 unarmed white deaths for it to be proportional.
Yes, but the whites actually did what they were told when ordered and didn't resist. Therefore they don't get shot as often. It goes back to respect and parenting.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
What I find sickening and appalling are the DOJ crime statistics committed by blacks:

62% of robberies
57% of murders
45% of assaults

Yet they only make up 13% of the population. Let's just both agree to be sickened and appalled and end this, deal?
This is the part that sickens me! Yet Black Lives Matter!! (only when a white cop shoots a black criminal however). It is like the wild, wild, west in some cites (Chicago), yet there is no outrage over those deaths.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
That's exactly what you said though. Maybe you don't understand the words you used or the context you used them in? Blacks commit more crimes so pay more attention to blacks than anyone else based solely on skin color. Profiling is by definition based on stereotype and assumption and not facts, so if in your mind that can ever be justified you're clearly part of the problem.
You’re making it only about skin color though, just to push your agenda. I’m saying profile groups based on their common characteristics. If it happens to be race, so be it. Or religion, or sexuality, or gender or whatever. Authorities profile based on the description of the ones committing the crimes and the location in which the crimes are committed. So, if a certain group of people are committing most of the crime, doesn’t it make sense to profile them?

Do you really think the authorities should be hanging around bingo halls profiling little old ladies as terrorism suspects, or should they be looking at radicalized Muslims? Do you think the authorities should be investigating white collar crime in the ghetto, or should they be looking on Wall Street? If you want to set up a prostitution sting, are you going to target male or female johns?

Profiling is just a fact of life. I don’t see anything wrong with that, I’m glad it happens! You don’t like it? Fine, I have a solution. Instead of complaining about the problem, do something about the crime. When the crime statistics get more proportionate with race statistics, that’s when you’ll see change. If it were white people committing most of the crime, white people should be profiled more often that other races. Same for Hispanics, Asians, or whoever.

Sound like a violation of Constitutional rights? Maybe so, but you lefties have no problem at all trampling all over the 2nd Amendment. How do you choose which part of the Constitution you want to uphold and what part of the Constitution you want to repeal or change?

Does all this sound racist to you? Sorry, it isn’t meant to be, it’s just a fact of life. But if it does, then I’ll change my stance on the matter. Forget skin color. Most of the crimes are committed by brown eyed males. Let’s profile brown eyed males instead of blacks. Better? Because like I already said before, you profile based on common characteristics. But it just sounds so much better for your leftist agenda when you make it about race though, right?

I'll close with this. If you're a black male, err, I mean brown eyed male in this country, your chances of killing a police officer are more likely than being killed by a police officer. Who is standing up (or in this case sitting down) for them?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 09-07-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Barry Sloate

I haven't posted in over a year, but after slogging through this thread I felt compelled to say something. And it was ltclarkes post at #167 that got me to do so. Here's what I take away from reading this thread: Everybody is shouting, and nobody is listening.

I've been saying for awhile now that I think America is very close to a civil war. No, not like the one from the 1860's- we won't see cannon fire or rifles fitted with bayonets- but we are pretty much in an ideological one. I am really afraid that after the election in two months, the country is going to explode. And I admit I have absolutely no idea how it can be prevented.

To me the worst problem in America now is nobody is willing to listen to or even consider an opposing point of view. Nobody is willing to even concede that the other guy might be making a good point because it is considered capitulating. You're a loser if you admit the other guy may be right. And the rhetoric and the venom seems to be getting worse by the day.

Here is something I will leave you with: if the other guy has an opinion that differs from yours, calling him an idiot is not cool. You are not solving the problem, but becoming part of it. I really worry for the future of this country.

And I won't be posting again, so please excuse me if I don't answer a post sent my way. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
To me the worst problem in America now is nobody is willing to listen to or even consider an opposing point of view. Nobody is willing to even concede that the other guy might be making a good point because it is considered capitulating. You're a loser if you admit the other guy may be right. And the rhetoric and the venom seems to be getting worse by the day.

Here is something I will leave you with: if the other guy has an opinion that differs from yours, calling him an idiot is not cool. You are not solving the problem, but becoming part of it. I really worry for the future of this country.
Not directed at you Barry, but this probably fits here best. Many who are paying attention believe that is the whole point, to foment that discontent. Taken in historical context, the black shootings by police officers are WAY down from 40 years ago.

http://www.cjcj.org/news/8113
Old 09-07-2016, 07:43 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I would have been a lot more of an impactful statement had it been made when he was a relevant player.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I think african americans (non muslim) feel safest from being profiled when they board a airplane. None will given a second look as they could be in a car with a taillight out. Now a wierd white guy with glasses and trench coat with heavy shoes, lets strip search that guy.

Ok now a few whitish muslim guys on the plane, lets strip search those guys since most hijackers/bombers have been those guys. I know many whites would be relieved if the whole plane was full of inner city chicago street kids on their way to some school event versus a bunch of middle aged white guys or non black clearly practicing muslims or very white poeple that looked like they have lived off the grid for 10 years. Those few white passengers would be begging to sit in between two african americans..

I think the average white american would gladly pay an extra carry on fee (why do they charge for carry ons now by the way) to be guaranteed to be on a plane with all black (hijack safe) americans.

Anyway, just having fun with stereotyping. Just having fun..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-07-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Al Richter

" I hope life is not just a big joke, because I don't get it".... Jack Handey
Old 09-07-2016, 08:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
" I hope life is not just a big joke, because I don't get it".... Jack Handey
When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.” ....George Carlin
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

This probably deserved a thread of its own...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...t-america.html

Ben Watson, you are a true American hero. Colin Kaepernick, you are scum that's about as relevant in the NFL as Ryan Leaf.

God bless you, Ben, and hope you make a full recovery and are back on the field soon.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post

you're right barry. people tend to watch the news channel that aligns with their viewpoint, they follow and read people online that reinforces their beliefs. if you don't like something or someone you unfollow it, so your worldview intake only strengthen what you believe in and it hardens over time. even tho the world is shrinking with internet and social media lines are being drawn and viewpoints are extremely divisive.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
you're right barry. people tend to watch the news channel that aligns with their viewpoint, they follow and read people online that reinforces their beliefs. if you don't like something or someone you unfollow it, so your worldview intake only strengthen what you believe in and it hardens over time. even tho the world is shrinking with internet and social media lines are being drawn and viewpoints are extremely divisive.
I completely agree with the news pushing their own agenda. It is amazing how many things that are reported in our news about other countries is 100% BS.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:59 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I am not going to attempt to argue one point or another, but I thought I would share the thoughts of a coworker of mine. She is a widowed black mother of 4 sons with the youngest just having gone to college. She lives and raised her boys in Ferguson, MO.

She went on rant after rant during the Ferguson riots. But it wasn't an anti-police/pro-riot stance as some would make you believe, it was the exact opposite. Yet her side of the story wasn't the one the news would cover. She would constantly said that if there was any racism in the cops in Ferguson she would have known it. Yet her sons were never pulled over for something that wasn't deserved (one son ran from the cops when he realized he didn't have his ID). She hated that Michael Brown was considered anything but a "thug" stating him and his whole family were trouble in the community.

The stuff she has said would make a white man seem racist if they said it. Her major point, though, was that it is no longer a skin color issue. She believes that it is a social issue. That a black guy that doesn't look like a "thug" and treats people respectful will be treated right. A white guy that acts like a "thug" and disrespects is going to be treated the same as the black guy acting the same way.

I just thought I would share her thoughts since she has a perspective that most on this board don't have.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:37 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I am not going to attempt to argue one point or another, but I thought I would share the thoughts of a coworker of mine. She is a widowed black mother of 4 sons with the youngest just having gone to college. She lives and raised her boys in Ferguson, MO.

She went on rant after rant during the Ferguson riots. But it wasn't an anti-police/pro-riot stance as some would make you believe, it was the exact opposite. Yet her side of the story wasn't the one the news would cover. She would constantly said that if there was any racism in the cops in Ferguson she would have known it. Yet her sons were never pulled over for something that wasn't deserved (one son ran from the cops when he realized he didn't have his ID). She hated that Michael Brown was considered anything but a "thug" stating him and his whole family were trouble in the community.

The stuff she has said would make a white man seem racist if they said it. Her major point, though, was that it is no longer a skin color issue. She believes that it is a social issue. That a black guy that doesn't look like a "thug" and treats people respectful will be treated right. A white guy that acts like a "thug" and disrespects is going to be treated the same as the black guy acting the same way.

I just thought I would share her thoughts since she has a perspective that most on this board don't have.
interesting perspective but the Doctor that treated all of those police officers that were shot in dallas was black and he said when he doesnt wear the doctors coat and drives on the street he is pulled over or is stopped when walking on the street and he doesnt dress like a thug...we can all point to examples for anything

Interesting in an article about him being a rare black doctor
The lack of black male doctors is bad for patients. White doctors undertreat the pain of black patients, studies have shown. And research by the University of Virginia found that white medical students had "fantastical" beliefs about the bodies of blacks. Half of the white medical students surveyed thought that blacks had less sensitive nerve endings and that their blood clotted more quickly than the blood of a white person.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-07-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Please inform your coworker that the Department of Justice found the Ferguson Police Department and it's court system to be racially bias toward African Americans. That was a government finding, not an opinion:

Even relatively routine misconduct by Ferguson police officers can have significant consequences for the people whose rights are violated. For example, in the summer of 2012, a 32-year-old African-American man sat in his car cooling off after playing basketball in a Ferguson public park. An officer pulled up behind the man’s car, blocking him in, and demanded the man’s Social Security number and identification. Without any cause, the officer accused the man of being a pedophile, referring to the presence of children in the park, and ordered the man out of his car for a pat-down, although the officer had no reason to believe the man was armed. The officer also asked to search the man’s car. The man objected, citing his constitutional rights. In response, the officer arrested the man, reportedly at gunpoint, charging him with eight violations of Ferguson’s municipal code. One charge, Making a False Declaration, was for initially providing the short form of his first name (e.g., “Mike” instead of “Michael”), and an address which, although legitimate, was different from the one on his driver’s license. Another charge was for not wearing a seat belt, even though he was seated in a parked car. The officer also charged the man both with having an expired operator’s license, and with having no operator’s license in his possession. The man told us that, because of these charges, he lost his job as a contractor with the federal government that he had held for years.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Please inform your coworker that the Department of Justice found the Ferguson Police Department and it's court system to be racially bias toward African Americans, blah, blah, blah...
This the same DOJ that up until recently was led by AG Eric Holder, who he himself said that white people can't be victims of racial injustice. Imagine that.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
This the same DOJ that up until recently was led by AG Eric Holder, who he himself said that white people can't be victims of racial injustice. Imagine that.
LOL! Got 'em!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
No, this is the same DOJ that covered up voter intimidation, ran Fast and Furious, was run by an AG that lied under oath, interfered with local non-partisan elections*, objected to the release of the Michael Brown robbery video, and continues to ignore FIOA requests. This is the DOJ we should take at face value and trust in.

* "The Justice Department’s ruling, which affects races for City Council and mayor, went so far as to say partisan elections are needed so that black voters can elect their “candidates of choice” - identified by the department as those who are Democrats and almost exclusively black."
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 PM
MikeHealer

My post has nothing to do with the original topic.
I'm just happy to see that Barry is OK. I miss your posts, as you are one of my favorite members on Net54, although we have never talked, emailed or messaged each other. I always found your contributions to be intelligent, articulate, funny and informative. You helped make this an enjoyable forum to visit, I can't say it's all that enjoyable anymore.

Thanks Barry, I wish you well.

The spelling and grammar has also spiraled down to an all time low in your absence!!

Take care
Mike

OK, carry on with the debate.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
I'm just happy to see that Barry is OK. I miss your posts, as you are one of my favorite members on Net54, although we have never talked, emailed or messaged each other. I always found your contributions to be intelligent, articulate, funny and informative. You helped make this an enjoyable forum to visit, I can't say it's all that enjoyable anymore.

The spelling and grammar has also spiraled down to an all time low in your absence!!

Take care
Mike

+1
Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
No, this is the same DOJ that covered up voter intimidation, ran Fast and Furious, was run by an AG that lied under oath, interfered with local non-partisan elections*, objected to the release of the Michael Brown robbery video, and continues to ignore FIOA requests. This is the DOJ we should take at face value and trust in.

* "The Justice Department’s ruling, which affects races for City Council and mayor, went so far as to say partisan elections are needed so that black voters can elect their “candidates of choice” - identified by the department as those who are Democrats and almost exclusively black."
So, let's connect the dots. The head of the DOJ is the Attorney General. Eric Holder was the former Attorney General. The AG reports directly to...we'll, I won't say it because I don't want to be accused of getting political, but we all know who he reports to. Eric Holder's boss (wink, wink) promised a transparent administration, did he not? Fast and Furious wasn't very transparent, was it? Ignoring Freedom of Information Act requests isn't very transparent, is it? I gotta agree with you. We shouldn't take anything at face value or trust anything the DOJ has to say, especially some flawed bias report.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 09-07-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
....I won't say it because I don't want to be accused of getting political...
This entire thread has been political, no?

Frankly, I am surprised it has not yet been locked.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Robert Williams

It's not been locked because there really is no need to. No one has gotten really ugly. To lock a thread reeks of censorship. Leon, I don't believe, is a fan of censorship. The thread is in the proper location on the board, and everyone is just debating. That is my two cents on things (for what it's worth).
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
This entire thread has been political, no?

Frankly, I am surprised it has not yet been locked.
Not locked, it needs to go POOF like the Nazi flag thread.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not locked, it needs to go POOF like the Nazi flag thread.
Ben,

I do not know about the Nazi flag thread to which you are referring.

As it pertains to Net54, to Leon's credit, he does not moderate this site like the folks on the other side of the street, so to speak.

Still, I remain surprised this thread is not yet locked. It is filled with political views, name calling, and vitriol.

As one prominent member once suggested, Net54 very well may have jumped the shark.

Best regards,

Eric Perry
Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Ben,

I do not know about the Nazi flag thread to which you are referring.

As it pertains to Net54, to Leon's credit, he does not moderate this site like the folks on the other side of the street, so to speak.

Still, I remain surprised this thread is not yet locked. It is filled with political views, name calling, and vitriol.

As one prominent member once suggested, Net54 very well may have jumped the shark.

Best regards,

Eric Perry
A member was trying to sell a vintage Nazi Flag in the proper section with Leons approval. Then a few idiots had to make posts in the thread that had nothing to do with buying it or asking questions about it. Sadly that has become common place lately.

Not sure what happened that it went POOF though.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If it isn't enjoyable you should consider leaving. Why do something you don't enjoy? I never like to see people go but if they aren't happy then it is for the better.....imo

edited to add, on another subject, yes in one of the very few deletions of a thread the Nazi banner BST thread was deleted. It didn't offend me personally but since it did others it got deleted. Each situation is different and it is sometimes a fluid call. I make mistakes like anyone....but to me the drama has died down a little bit on the board lately. Probably just me though since some changes were made in membership. Whatever, I just want peace and happiness and less drama....that is all.

lastly I see no reason to lock the thread so far.....as I think I had mentioned many posts ago, if we can give our own point of view and try our best to not make it too political, we can discuss these things here.. but if it gets too politically toned (and it almost is up there, be careful) it will be put to bed..... Happy Collecting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post

Take care
Mike

Last edited by Leon; 09-07-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:16 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Please inform your coworker that the Department of Justice found the Ferguson Police Department and it's court system to be racially bias toward African Americans.
So you want me to tell an African American woman with 4 sons that live and have lived their entire lives in Ferguson. Some one that lived and breathed all of it through the eyes of a Ferguson resident with black skin, that she is wrong about what she encounters everyday because you read an article that said otherwise? I gave her perspective as someone living it, not a bias opinion based on political beliefs or anything else. As she said to me "if it was really that bad, I am sure with 4 black sons I would have heard something by now."

I know, as does she, what the DOJ report reads. Again her opinion is that it is more about the way the people conducted themselves rather than the color of their skin. I am sorry but as a white male I will not argue with a widowed black woman with 4 sons living through all this daily that she doesn't know what she is talking about and that she is being racially profiled.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
So you want me to tell an African American woman with 4 sons that live and have lived their entire lives in Ferguson. Some one that lived and breathed all of it through the eyes of a Ferguson resident with black skin, that she is wrong about what she encounters everyday because you read an article that said otherwise? I gave her perspective as someone living it, not a bias opinion based on political beliefs or anything else. As she said to me "if it was really that bad, I am sure with 4 black sons I would have heard something by now."

I know, as does she, what the DOJ report reads. Again her opinion is that it is more about the way the people conducted themselves rather than the color of their skin. I am sorry but as a white male I will not argue with a widowed black woman with 4 sons living through all this daily that she doesn't know what she is talking about and that she is being racially profiled.
Reading Packs's reply reminded me of the time in the 1970s at a meeting of the RMS Titanic Historical Society when Ruth Becker, who survived the sinking as a child, was addressing the attendees, and told them how she had witnessed Titanic break in two before sinking. Almost immediately, one of the Titanic "experts" seated next to her grabbed the microphone away from her and announced that she only thought she had seen the ship break in two; it had actually sunk intact, and Becker was mistaken. Becker grabbed the microphone back and told him "I was there". About ten years later, the wreck was discovered in two pieces.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM

It's actually not like that at all. You're placing scientific speculation against studied facts. My point was one person' anecdotal evidence does not trump a Department of Justice investigation and she may not be aware of the indignities experienced by the people around her, who live their own lives independent of her own. I didn't tell you to get into an argument with her either.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I also believe the DOJ is very, very racist at this point in time. Anything they say is suspect immediately, to me. Anything else and I think I get too political....This whole debate can sort of be summed up by asking all people to take accountability for their actions. If I do good it is my fault, if I do bad it is my fault. Everyone needs to live it....just my pre-tax, half cent of wisdom ....

Quote:
It's actually not like that at all. You're placing scientific speculation against studied facts. My point was one person' anecdotal evidence does not trump a Department of Justice investigation and she may not be aware of the indignities experienced by the people around her, who live their own lives independent of her own. I didn't tell you to get into an argument with her either.

Last edited by Leon; 09-08-2016 at 08:13 AM.