NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Picked this up a few weeks ago .... now I just need a 1960 Spic and Span Aaron to take a well needed spring/summer break

Attachment 313372
love this.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Got these back from SGC yesterday. Brooks auto run. I know I'm missing the big one but hoping to get that completed in the next 2 months. These looks really nice in the cases and seem to take away focus from the flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Kris

Default Brooks Autos

Wow! That is an impressive Human Vacuum Cleaner collection, Stephen.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle.../my-collection
Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Got these back from SGC yesterday. Brooks auto run. I know I'm missing the big one but hoping to get that completed in the next 2 months. These looks really nice in the cases and seem to take away focus from the flaws.
I gotta ask. Why did you suddenly abandon chronological order after 1969??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:35 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Default Good catch!

Whoops. I was running late for work this morning and I pulled them out quickly for the picture. I started doing them 4 in a row and I switched to 5 in a row so I inadvertently switched the order!!! Once I put them in a display case along with the 57 I will place them in the proper order. I'm more surprised I didn't notice it after the fact versus when I took the picture.

But now its bothering me!!!

*edit to say - obviously I moved the 73 and the rest shifted over!

Last edited by Marchillo; 04-24-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Whoops. I was running late for work this morning and I pulled them out quickly for the picture. I started doing them 4 in a row and I switched to 5 in a row so I inadvertently switched the order!!! Once I put them in a display case along with the 57 I will place them in the proper order. I'm more surprised I didn't notice it after the fact versus when I took the picture.

But now its bothering me!!!

*edit to say - obviously I moved the 73 and the rest shifted over!
I don't care about the order, those are beautiful Stephen.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 04-24-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Very, very happy with this new arrival. Paid up a lot for the grade. Description had said tiny wrinkle R corner accounted for the grade. I can't find it with a loupe and I've looked hard
Attachment 313405
Very nice card. Are you considering a resubmit?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Very, very happy with this new arrival. Paid up a lot for the grade. Description had said tiny wrinkle R corner accounted for the grade. I can't find it with a loupe and I've looked hard
Attachment 313405
Very nice looking JR. Congrats. I would certainly send that in for a review. I would be shocked if it didn't get at least a .5 bump. Even if it did not bump that is a great looking PSA 3.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:01 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default April Pick-Ups

Quote:

Attachment 313405

Wow, that is nice - and even with a visible wrinkle would be a tremendous looking 3. Paying high in the grade for that is probably nothing to be ashamed of. I bought a ‘55 Topps Robinson in a BVG 4.5 a couple of years ago, and also paid more than I wanted to for a card with good eye appeal. There are several players anymore who seem to command “plus” prices in any grade - and Jackie Robinson is definitely one of them.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-25-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM
J0hn Collin$

Picked this up at lunch today at the local antique mall. I’m considering going for a complete Ernie run - I now have 3 of his base cards in PSA 6 or better. The ‘54 RC would be the big fish to land of course, but even that is somewhat reasonable in lower grade.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Another one for my 1961 high number trade thread...

1961topps545.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:27 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Stephen,

Man, I love the Brooksie autograph run you got there. Really looks nice in the SGC holders. My opinion would be to start a thread on the autograph run and put each year in there individually so I, I mean we, can view up close and personal. I started several months ago on a Brooks autograph run, with his regular issue cards, that I’m slowly putting together. The difference is that I’m trying to do all in pen. Thought once I got them all in pen I’d then go for a sharpie run like the one you pictured. Think it will be a fun side project!

Can I ask why a Brooks Robinson run?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Very nice card. Are you considering a resubmit?
I've looked it over and I see no surface flaws. I'll let it be in its current holder. The card speaks for itself.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Stephen,

Man, I love the Brooksie autograph run you got there. Really looks nice in the SGC holders. My opinion would be to start a thread on the autograph run and put each year in there individually so I, I mean we, can view up close and personal. I started several months ago on a Brooks autograph run, with his regular issue cards, that I’m slowly putting together. The difference is that I’m trying to do all in pen. Thought once I got them all in pen I’d then go for a sharpie run like the one you pictured. Think it will be a fun side project!

Can I ask why a Brooks Robinson run?
Mark - I agree the SGC holders make a world of difference. I'll be getting a display case for them at some point. I can do individual pics of them. To be honest I bought on a budget so while some of them are nice clean cards some of them are a mess (67/72 comes to mind).

Reason for the Brooks run. A couple of reasons. I am a HOF/Autograph junky. I go to Cooperstown every year during induction weekend and can't get enough of it. I have a signed baseball collection approaching around 100 unique single signed HOF balls. I am struggling with the concept of paying some of the recent guys $100 to $200 and I don't need duplicate baseballs. So I have started getting RC's signed. But mainly the Brooks run is for a few reasons

1 - Card Affordability - besides 57/67 his cards are very affordable.
2 - Years he played - I really love all the Topps sets especially from 52 to the mid 70's and he is in almost all of them. So I get to see all the 60's together etc.
3 - TTM - he does TTM and money goes to charity. Win/win for everyone. If I had to pay $70/card - I would get his RC signed and that would be it.

He's also one of my favorites for some reason. I like guys who get a lot of props for their defense but also put up nice offensive numbers (Brooks/Bench etc). Something about being HOF caliber both offensively and defensively makes those guys intriguing to me.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Kris

Default E98 Wagner

Hey guys,

Very excited to be adding this beauty to the permanent collection today. I have been looking for a good Wagner for a long time. The orange background really pops. Thanks to board member robw1959.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagner 1.jpg (76.3 KB, 134 views)

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle.../my-collection
Old 04-26-2018, 05:06 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Mark - I agree the SGC holders make a world of difference. I'll be getting a display case for them at some point. I can do individual pics of them. To be honest I bought on a budget so while some of them are nice clean cards some of them are a mess (67/72 comes to mind).

Reason for the Brooks run. A couple of reasons. I am a HOF/Autograph junky. I go to Cooperstown every year during induction weekend and can't get enough of it. I have a signed baseball collection approaching around 100 unique single signed HOF balls. I am struggling with the concept of paying some of the recent guys $100 to $200 and I don't need duplicate baseballs. So I have started getting RC's signed. But mainly the Brooks run is for a few reasons

1 - Card Affordability - besides 57/67 his cards are very affordable.
2 - Years he played - I really love all the Topps sets especially from 52 to the mid 70's and he is in almost all of them. So I get to see all the 60's together etc.
3 - TTM - he does TTM and money goes to charity. Win/win for everyone. If I had to pay $70/card - I would get his RC signed and that would be it.

He's also one of my favorites for some reason. I like guys who get a lot of props for their defense but also put up nice offensive numbers (Brooks/Bench etc). Something about being HOF caliber both offensively and defensively makes those guys intriguing to me.
Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I personally have never submitted any cards to SGC, or PSA for that matter, but to me it adds to the overall look of the individual cards in my view. Sure will look nice displayed together. I’m not really much of a condition freak and on signed cards I mainly focus on the placement of the sigature and it’s not faded, light or creases affecting the signed area. Other than that I’m good.

Brooks has always been my favorite player so anything related I enjoy seeing and it’s nice when others share their items related to him. I really don’t know why I never really did a Brooks autograph run prior to recently , so I guess it’s long overdue. I’m trying to be a tad picky, but I get in a hurry and have already picked up a few that I’d like to get better examples. Looks like you’re only missing a few more. I need the ‘57 as well and hopefully a nice example will come along.

Your reasons for doing an autographed run related to the the greatest third baseman of all time sound like terrific reasons to do so...
Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Sean McGinty

I just bought something interesting. In 1979 in Japan Calbee (the main card producer there) ran a promotion - if you got one "Home Run Card" which were randomly inserted into packs you could send it in and redeem it for an facsimile autographed mini bat of a star player. I only recently became aware that these things actually existed and bought one with an autograph by Isao Harimoto (Japan's hit leader)
I put some pics up here:
https://baseballcardsinjapan.blogspo...time-1979.html

Last edited by seanofjapan; 05-01-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default 2 sets over the weekend

Picked up 2 sets over the weekend
1969 Topps w/ the white letter Mantle
1970 Topps set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B49B5E45-A6F6-4861-960A-79FE97A6A79A.jpg (19.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 080093B6-F5B8-417B-A717-FC183351F446.jpg (20.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:

Beautiful!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/