NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Lou Brown

Default Size variations on bowman cards

Though this is regarding a FB issue I think it is an issue with Bowman cards in general so I am placing it here. (would be glad to re-locate it if more appropriate elsewhere).

I have a 1955 Bowman FB set. A few cards stood out as what appears to be trimmed. I sent in the stars to be graded before I noticed this and they all came back as good except one. I've taken what I believe is a good 55 Bowman card from my commons and used it to compare. I am finding cards that match for the most part but there are many that do not - both bigger and smaller. Is there slight variation in the original sizing that is considered acceptable?

Last edited by loubrown; 02-14-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Jim

This has actually been discussed in the forum previously but I'm not finding it when searching... you might just take a look at the section titled "Inconsistently sized cards" nearly halfway down on the page at http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...of-1955-bowman . I don't know if a note to the TPGs when submitting suggesting that they consider this and not disqualify cards for size for this set unless there is evidence of trimming might help...
Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Ben North

I have collected about 95% of the 1955 BB set and they do vary in size. On the 300+ cards I have they vary up to 1/16 of a inch. Any more than that and it is usually pretty easy to spot the trimmed side. This is my personal experience hope it helps.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Lou Brown

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:20 PM
David Buckingham

I bought a collection three or so years ago, and there were nearly 2,000 1955 Bowman baseball cards in top condition. Many were short in length, resulting in PSA sending back a number of them as failing to meet the minimum size requirement.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 AM
Mike Dugan

I asked this question a year or so ago and the consensus was that the 1955 Bowman baseball does have quite a bit of size variance. I have bought two large groups of 1955 Bowmans that came from closets that were certainly never trimmed and they varied.