NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
David Bender

Default 1970 Dayton Daily News M137

Here's a question, probably for Bob Lemke - why is the Dayton Daily News set considered baseball cards? They are just clipped out of the paper, right?
The Pirate Album series ran in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 1975 - can these be considered cards as well?

Thanks, and I will hang up and take my answer off the air...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970DaytonDailyNews.jpg (17.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 1975 post-gazette pirate album rennie stennett.jpg (10.1 KB, 399 views)
Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Different times

"Back in the day" when the Standard Catalog had two people working full-time, virtually unlimited page counts and the notion of building up a data base for non-card baseball player memorabilia for future catalogs, we routinely sought out this type of item.

Today, not so much.

If the need arises to cut back vintage pages on the print edition in the future, this type of lsiting would be among the first to go onto some sort of rotational publishing basis.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM
David Bender

Default thank you

Thanks Bob.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Rich Klein

Default And for whatever reason

The Dayton Daily News Items were considered part of the hobby in the mid 1970's. I could have sworn (I've been known to be wrong) that those items were catalogued as early as the 1st Sports Collectors Bible (c. 1975)

The other items; although similiar; were not included and it took for later generations to realize the similiarites.

And yes, Bob is correct; with the drain of manpower at both Krause (F&W) and Beckett, more and more items which may be borderline won't be catalogued and that's a legit issue of the "corporates" running hobby publications. Hobby people figured if you broke even and kept adding to data bases you were fine; corporates want the profit wherever they can. Neither side is wrong, but in a sense the hobby loses when option #2 is the one that is chosen.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 02-20-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Bob Lemke

Default You got that right, Rich

When I joined Krause Publications in 1974, the company was run by two genuine coin collectors (Chet Krause and Cliff Mishler). While they did what was necessary to keep the lights on and maintain some modest growth, they also realized the value of investing in periodicals and, especially, reference catalogs that would assist the long-term growth of the hobby.

While some book titles and periodicals were home run right out of the gate, others were a drain on cash for many years but were subsidized "for the good of the hobby."

When non-collectors got control of the company the emphasis swtiched to polishing up the bottom line to attract the next higher-buyer.

I guess that's the way of the (business) world.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 PM

I think one reason they were originally catalogued as cards is because they say "card" right on them. Kind of silly, but I would bet that was a huge factor for the writers of the Sports Collectors Bible and whoever else catalogued these.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Ad*m W#lter

Default 1970 Dayton Daily News

Continuing on the discussion of the Dayton Daily News "cards", we just discovered two additional uncatalogued cards(we currently have them up on Ebay if you would like to see them pictured) that were put out in 1980 as a follow-up to the original 1970 set. The Dayton Daily News evidently did not want to continue on with the 160 card set so they agreed in 1980 to print one card per 100 years. So in 1980 they printed a Hank Aaron #3 representing their first 100 years(1880-1980) & the next day printed a David Lopes #998 representing their 2nd 100 years(1980-2080). The next card will be printed in 2080, that is if the Dayton Daily News is still around. Neither of these two cards have ever been discussed or catalogued.
Thanks, Adam
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Al Richter

Default Upsate

100 Year Cards....neat. Sort of like the 100 Year War....only it really lasted more than 100 years
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Default I am sorry but I think that stinks.

Bob, I understand your explanation, and I accept that there are constraints on manpower, pagecount, etc., and I even accept that the catalog needs to find a way to be profitable. That said, I have always thought of the "Big Book" as THE Authority on Baseball Cards, NON-Card Baseball items, and a bunch of other stuff Baseball related. I can't stand to see the decisions to wack one set over another. As far as I'm concerned, if an item was meant to be cut out, saved, and collected, then it should be catalogued. At this point, I would be much more interested in a wikipedia approach where anyone can catalog what they have found, and experts among us can be the gatekeepers of this information. I think people have really come to rely on the information in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards as authoritative and comprehensive, or at least striving to be, and when you see sets left out, taken out, or only periodically rotated in, that turns the "Big Book" into just another book. I may be preaching to the choir, and I really respect the fact that you personnaly give life to a lot of these sets in your blog posts and catalog updates where able, but overall I see this as a frustrating topic.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Were there variations of these "cards"?

I ask, because a few weeks back Ebay seller Tampabaycards had 2 different Don Gullett cards, both from 1970 I think.

The biography was different and the stats were different.

They can be tough to find, I've been looking for Lou Brock for a long time.

Also, this link says there is a #318 Willie Smith that is uncatalogued.

Last edited by David W; 02-02-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Al Richter

Default Big Book

Good post Jason. It would make me sad to see the Big Book get smaller as well
Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Were there variations of these "cards"?

I ask, because a few weeks back Ebay seller Tampabaycards had 2 different Don Gullett cards, both from 1970 I think.

The biography was different and the stats were different.

They can be tough to find, I've been looking for Lou Brock for a long time.

Also, this link says there is a #318 Willie Smith that is uncatalogued.
Yes there are variations I blogged about this set here http://uncatalogedbaseballcards.blog...aily-news.html The set was really 1970-1971 I went through the Dayton Daily archives and visually cataloged each card. Brock is a difficult one issued in 71 only replacing Richie Allen also #80.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM

I am nearly certain that the 1970 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless baseball series was repeated in 1971 with the same players and numbers but with new photos and updated bios. The Ebay seller Tampa Bay Cards has several on Ebay now. Some have 1969 stats, which would make them 1970, and some have 1970 stats, which would make them 1971. The aforementioned two different Don Gullett cards are a 1970 version and a 1971 version, they are the same number but have different photos and different bios. I have a 1970 Ernie Banks and a 1971 Ernie Banks. Same numbers, but different photos and different bios.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (79.1 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (78.2 KB, 245 views)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Unhappy

As usual, I am twenty minutes late . After reading Mr. sschauer's blog I now see that only some of the players were repeated in 1971. Thank you for printing the detailed checklist.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Bob Lemke

Jason,

You have to remember that the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards is NOT published by hobbyists. It is published by a multi-national media giant strictly on a for-profit basis. If it can't be made profitable at a certain level determined by the publisher, it will cease to be published.

In this era of declining demand for ink-on-paper hobby references, increased sales are not likely, so profitability has to come from controlling costs, i.e., the number of pages printed.

As editor of the vintage sections, it is my responsibility, based on my daily participation in this niche of the hobby, to determine how best to use the number of pages allocated to those sections.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsinvestments View Post
Continuing on the discussion of the Dayton Daily News "cards", we just discovered two additional uncatalogued cards(we currently have them up on Ebay if you would like to see them pictured) that were put out in 1980 as a follow-up to the original 1970 set. The Dayton Daily News evidently did not want to continue on with the 160 card set so they agreed in 1980 to print one card per 100 years. So in 1980 they printed a Hank Aaron #3 representing their first 100 years(1880-1980) & the next day printed a David Lopes #998 representing their 2nd 100 years(1980-2080). The next card will be printed in 2080, that is if the Dayton Daily News is still around. Neither of these two cards have ever been discussed or catalogued.
Thanks, Adam
I'd like to add a little to the 100-year statement above. I have one of the 1980 David Lopes "cards". The text below the card indicates that the Dayton Daily News planned to run a card once every 100 years, but they were clever about it. The next one was not intended to run in 2080; rather, the smart alecks at the paper designated every day as the beginning of a unique 100-year period. I know only of the Aaron and Lopes, but I'm hoping they printed a lot more of these with different players. Not sure they did though.

I'd include a pic of the Lopes card, but I don't know how to upload the pic.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:13 PM
Jason Presley

Fortunately, the Dayton Daily News is on Newspapers.com, so let's see what we can find.

The Hank Aaron was printed on June 2, 1980, and Lopes June 3. Doesn't look like there were any more.

Last edited by DaClyde; 10-11-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:13 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

While I do have one, mostly because it’s a required PSA master set item, I’m not a big fan. Certainly there will always be a question about where you draw the line with all of the different pieces out there. And it’s not always all that obvious whether any given item should be included, when it comes to this piece, it sure seems like this one probably should have been excluded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1016B5E4-FC41-44AD-ABE1-C360156087E1.jpeg (83.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpeg A010BA18-4E25-49E9-820C-C84CD51403A3.jpeg (72.5 KB, 122 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-11-2022, 11:22 PM

Great thread and a great, unique, set.

I personally think they’ve stuck around as a”set” due to being numbered, having a “front” and “back” and being promoted as a collectible set.

I prefer to fold them as intended - makes them feel more like a true card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF48DB1F-C221-411B-B639-CBBF40A6BA7A.jpg (196.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 8408EEC3-B434-4864-B3A0-EA7E3A26B625.jpg (194.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-13-2022, 09:05 PM
Curt

Can you share an image? Not sure I have seen these?
I absolutely love these newspaper "cards".
Have a wide variety of them and will buy any I can find at decent prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Fortunately, the Dayton Daily News is on Newspapers.com, so let's see what we can find.

The Hank Aaron was printed on June 2, 1980, and Lopes June 3. Doesn't look like there were any more.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:09 PM
Curt

When you start a post or reply, select the paperclip, then it opens up the other image. Choose image, upload and post the thread and the image should appear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarveyfan View Post
I'd like to add a little to the 100-year statement above. I have one of the 1980 David Lopes "cards". The text below the card indicates that the Dayton Daily News planned to run a card once every 100 years, but they were clever about it. The next one was not intended to run in 2080; rather, the smart alecks at the paper designated every day as the beginning of a unique 100-year period. I know only of the Aaron and Lopes, but I'm hoping they printed a lot more of these with different players. Not sure they did though.

I'd include a pic of the Lopes card, but I don't know how to upload the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.07.11 PM.png (21.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.07.27 PM.png (103.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 10-14-2022, 07:08 AM
Jason Presley

June 2, 1980
DDN Bubble Gumless 003 Aaron June 2 1980DDN Bubble Gumless 003 Aaron June 2 1980 02 Jun 1980, Mon Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio) Newspapers.com

June 3, 1980
Last Daily News Bubble-Gumless card.Last Daily News Bubble-Gumless card. 03 Jun 1980, Tue Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio) Newspapers.com

I wrote a blog post a few years ago about cards in newspapers that I update as I find more:

https://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.c...ewspapers.html

Last edited by DaClyde; 10-14-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:53 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

This is all great stuff. Not sure I realized the 1970 DDN cards also had other sports represented.