NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default Finally confirmed - d311 print variations exist! ("bluegrass" variations)

One of the things I find fascinating about the hobby is when cards turn up with goofy printing errors, overprints, oddball reverses, etc... Or in other words, turn up looking different than how they're supposed to look. The d311 set is my favorite PCL set so I really enjoyed stumbling across this one.

The Van Buren on the left is how the card typically looks. What I'm figuring happened here is the example on the right missed a color pass (yellow) during the original print run. Either that, or the printer ran out of yellow toner altogether. The result is the card on the right which looks a little too blue, and yeah, has that neat looking blue grass.

I believe I remember someone mentioning these to me years ago so I don't believe this sort of a variation is new to the hobby, but it's a fun one nonetheless! This is the first one I've run into, or at least the first one where I was paying enough attention to catch it!

d311vanb.jpg
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Dag nab it Brian, I figured maybe it was you who edged me out on this card
Nice pick up.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Barry Arnold

Default brian

great pick up and great detective work!!!!
congratulations, ole buddy.

best, barry
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Those are great looking cards!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
D.B. Cooper

Congrats, Brian. I remember looking at that card on Ebay last week and thinking something looked off about it, but couldn't put my finger on what it was.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Bob...I was sort of thinking that was you. I knew you had well over 6000 on the feedback meter. That's the only way I can tell people apart anymore I"m very surprised you and I were the only bidders on that card as well. Figured more people might have needed Van Buren anyways.

Tony...that was my first reaction to it as well. When I first saw it, I thought "That. Looks. Blue." I couldn't really figure out at first what was "off" about the card so I went to get my d311s, including the Van Buren I already had to take a look....
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Clayton

Nice card Brian !! Blue grass and pink skies.........isn't that a country song?
Congrats on your pick up and good eye for catching the variation too.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Mark Rios

Great find Brian!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Brian- I was bidding on the card thinking it looked a little odd but never did put my finger on it like you did. It makes sense because there is one other similar variation, that being the blue grass 1910 T212-2 Obaks Series 150 variation cards. I believe there are about 6 total with the rare blue grass and other strange shades on the card.