NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Default Pinback Mystery Solved!

I just posted on my pinback blog baseballpinbackbuttons.wordpress.com the story behind the "Jackie Robinson Tells His Story to the Brooklyn Eagle" pin. An incomplete post was inadvertently published yesterday. If you collect pins or just like the mystery surrounding baseball memorabilia, I think you will like the post.

Paul
Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Mike H.

Thank you for the education Paul. Your commitment to furthering the great hobby of pinback collecting is second to none and your contributions to the collective knowledge base are tremendously valuable. Keep up the great work.

Last edited by mjkm90; 01-02-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Rob

So glad to read the final version!

It is crazy....just crazy....that these are so rare. Just like that stupid 3" Ken Henderson pin I've been looking for for 20 years.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Chris Wood

Nice work Paul!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Danny Gabel

Default -

sweet read- I would love to see pictures on these jackie buttons. Think you can get every letters and put it together?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Thanks Paul -- great read!

Greg
Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGabel View Post
sweet read- I would love to see pictures on these jackie buttons. Think you can get every letters and put it together?
Paul's pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg certified-large-ws219.jpg (39.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Jay Zimmerman

Default Jackie Brooklyn Eagle

Paul,

You always do great detective work. I love the story and the facts you have to back it up. Because you see so few Brooklyn Eagle Jackie pins (regardless of the lettering) I would think the newspaper did not distribute as many pins as they would have you believe.

Great to see the blog again.

Jay Zimmerman
Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Rob and Jay,

Rob, thanks for retrieving the image of the pin from a previous thread/post/column (whatever you call it). In truth it has been so long since I did a column I forgot how to insert a picture among the words. I am sure you are not surprised.

Jay, I know you are from Brooklyn and was wondering what your reaction would be to the story. Your speculation about the number of pins being less than proclaimed is plausible. I presume people could subscribe to the newspaper, and doubt if a pin was manually inserted into each issue (for ten consecutive days, no less). Did they have those square metal boxes back then where you insert a coin to open the box to retrieve a copy of the newspaper? If they did, I can't imagine the Brooklyn Eagle attaching a pin to each issue of the newspaper in the vending machine. That leaves person-to-person points-of-sale as the only other possible way to get a copy of the paper. I also don't know if the Brooklyn Eagle was sold outside of Brooklyn. The ad specifically states the pins were being given out only in Brooklyn. We could probably track down the total circulation of the newspaper, then guestimate how many were sold through news stands. This is the joy/agony of collecting pins. Even when you are lucky enough to track down the origin of a pin, there are some parts to the story that you still don't understand.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Jay Zimmerman

Default Jackie Brooklyn Eagle pin

Paul,

I was the exception to the rule-I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan living in the Bronx in the 50's. I don't have a clue to the distribution of the Eagle. My guess would be that it was a tough sell with NY having the News, Mirror, Journal American, the Post, Herald Tribune and the Times all with substantial followings.

I have been collecting Dodger pins for over 30 years and haven't seen many of these for sale or auction. To me, the advertising might have been pure hype-they had some pins in circulation to try and stimulate sales. If they really were sent to candy stores or distributors we would have seen boxes of these show up sooner or later.

By the way, I still need one for my collection

Jay
Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springpin View Post
I just posted on my pinback blog baseballpinbackbuttons.wordpress.com the story behind the "Jackie Robinson Tells His Story to the Brooklyn Eagle" pin. An incomplete post was inadvertently published yesterday. If you collect pins or just like the mystery surrounding baseball memorabilia, I think you will like the post.

Paul
Paul - great story. I love your book and blog...makes collecting the old pins much more interesting. I have one complaint though...not enough Reds pin stories : )
Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Rob

I'm enjoying reading about the possible distribution of these pins. All theories are plausible but, as Paul says, we may never know for sure.

My first thought was that the pins would be given away with papers bought outside Ebbetts Field. The SF Chronicle has long done this outside of Candlestick and now AT&T. I checked Retrosheet, hoping to see that the Dodgers were on a long homestand between August 15th and 24th. Alas, they were home for three, in Boston for four and back home for three.