NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Zach

Default Is anyone else alone in collecting cards?

I am wondering if I am one of the few. I have a good amount of friends remaining in my life. I have a finacee who has a son of 13. I have a brother and other various family members. I also work at one of the largest corporations in the country and work in an office with almost 100 people in it; however, dispite having all these people in my life not a single person collects cards or gives a crap about them. I have tried to talk to my friends, my brother, and my future 13 year son in law about cards, trying to find a spark in someone, but nobody cares at all.
I am wondering if I am the only one that does not know a single other person that has any interest in cards. I post on Net54 so often because I literally have nobody to talk to about cards. I am tired of trying to talk about it with people that do not care, like talking to a brick wall. Am I one of the only ones in this situation? If you have people to talk it with, how many people do you know that collect or used to collect that will listen to your cardboard loving chatter?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM
nels0n aud.et

i have 1 friend here who collect seriously hockey pre war card. when i meet this friend in 2001, i meet him in a sport cars show.... and when i saw how i collect card i give to him the sick of card collecting. so a search into his old shoebox of card he collect when he was young and found a mario lemieux rookie card.

since this day my friend collect card also, but he collect less since a couple years, he now collect antic pub etc but he go to the card show with me and buy card when a deal come up
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Zach-- Your not alone. The card collecting bug recently hit me and I joined Net54 because there is nobody I know that shares the hobby. I have been in the military almost 20 years and am currently stationed at a large base and have never encountered anybody that collects cards.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
R Dixon

I have one friend who collects HOF rookie cards and any/all modern cards. He's not into pre-war....yet, but he knows a lot about it from hanging out with me. I saw him looking at T202's online recently, but he hasn't brought it up. Other than that there's a few board members that I've met at local shows. I wish I could find more time to hang out with those guys. It's always really fun for me when we can get together. .
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yep, same thing here. Nobody I know collects cards anymore. My wife used to collect cards in her youth also, but it was the same 80s/90s junk. However, now she dislikes the hobby since she thinks I spend way too much time on it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Jason Stricker

I'm in the same boat. Now and then I try talking to my wife about a card I'm really excited about and she'll sometimes partially listen, but that's about it. I know a few people (co-workers and friends) who used to collect when they were kids in the 80s and 90s (all of whom think their collections of wax junk will be paying for their kids college - LOL), but have no interest in cards today.

I tried talking to my niece and nephew (10 and 4) about it. My nephew didn't know what baseball was and my niece said, "why? what's the point?" and promptly went back to playing a game on her iPad.

Standard responses I receive when I mention I collect baseball cards:
  • Why? Haven't you grown up? (insert look of disgust and disappointment)
  • Nobody cares about cards anymore. You're wasting your money.
  • Oh yeah? I did too....when I was 8. I'm saving them to pay for my kid's college.
  • Uhm, okay. Good for you.

My wife doesn't like how much money I spend on cards and thinks I'm a big dork for collecting, but also acknowledges it's something I enjoy. When I recently mentioned I'm thinking of selling the bulk of my collection to help fund a new home purchase, she actually said she didn't want me to part with my cards. However, I'm sure her attitude will change when touring model homes...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I would be in the same if not for several good friends in my area that I made through the hobby. I suspect that this is fairly typical.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no one

Except for my hobby friends same for me (nadda). When I tell others that I collect and buy and sell baseball cards they kind of giggle and say "that's nice."
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Jason Wells

I can relate to the original post.I to dont know anyone else in the flesh that collects.And whenever its brought up people are shocked.Its kind of a running joke at work."Any new cards this week"?Snicker Snicker.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM

My dad collects baseball memorabilia but I don't know anyone else who collects cards. I only collect cards because he took me to shows when I was a little guy. We live on opposite coasts and it's always nice to come home and hang out while he shows me all the new stuff he's bought.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I know a few people....my older brother, we talk a lot by phone, 2 old farm boys near Flint mich (in their eighties, and they "have it all"). FKW of century old cards and a frequent poster on net54 lives on the big island but we have only met once. There is not even a place to buy supplies here. No toploaders or boxes. At least I can talk to my brother about cards for hours on end. Aloha, Dave. ps here on TBI I did find a whole set of davy crockett cards,1956, beat but for 5 bucks and a small group of parkhurst hockey cards 52, 53, 54. and outside of cards I found a "second state" Beatle lp butcher cover for 5 bucks....flipped it quick for 1k. oh yeah and a brass baseball glove ashtray from the old Russwood Park in Memphis home of the southern league,(sent that to a net54er who collects southern league stuff).
Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Rawn Hill

I've shown my room maybe 3 times and got shrugs, so now it is not shown. No other collectors around here.

Rawn
Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
pariah1107

So few understand... Actually might be annoyed if more did.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Absolutely no interest from those around me. Girlfriend has mild interest in what I do and I can occasionally talk to her about cards. My brother has a mild interest in Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas rookies. That's about it....

Last edited by shammus; 05-10-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Alan U

I have family members who like to collect other things so they "understand" my "need" to collect cards, but aren't overly interested in discussing sportscards.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default It's lonelier than a Maytag repairman

When I mention cards to my friends the only thing they are interested in is how much the cards are worth. I've pretty much given up talking about my collection when I'm with my friends. I have a son who would like to collect, but with a baby at home and another on the way, he is poor as a church mouse. Maybe when he gets older we can share an interest in the hobby.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Last edited by Pat R; 03-04-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nice

Nice John......hey, you still have me so you aren't really all by yourself.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
JeR@Me

Default 1 Good buddy...

I have 1 good buddy locally that is an avid collector. Our taste are a bit different, but we both admire what each other collects. We routinely talk about what is going on in the hobby, collecting interest, etc. Besides him, all I have is ole friends who have childhood collections, but no interest in collecting.

By the way... Who is Eric Carmen and why does he have a wig on ?

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 05-10-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Jimmy

Default Is anyone else alone in collecting cards

Except the dealers and collectors I know, only my 9 year old has some interest in the vintage cards. I have a brother and a few friends that like the modern cards still

Jimmy
Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Forever alone
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
$teve O.

My buddy I used to work with collects,but I only see him about twice a year.
Thats it.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
John

My sons understand my interest, having collected some in the 80s and 90s. They have virtually no interest anymore. Otherwise, I'm on my own. I'll probably pass out the first time someone says "tell me about your..."
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Manny
Banned

I might as well be on a deserted island when it comes to collecting. My friends are all big time sports fans but they all ridicule card collecting and are cynical about spending money on pieces of cardboard. I tried to explain to them the nuances of vintage cards but they give me this blank look. It sucks. I live in Miami, and I have no idea if there is even a T206 collector within a 25 mile radius.

I work for a Wall St. firm and you can imagine that baseball cards are at the very bottom of the list of things to spend your money on. If it's considered an "alternative asset class" they're being nice.

I think we're going about it wrong in how we mention our hobby to other people. If you merely say "I collect baseball cards", it conjures up negative images of hoarding (or lunacy) to a person that doesn't like to collect objects -- due to whatever philosophical reasoning they may have. I think you need to add a qualifier like "vintage", "rare", "really old" or "high end" so they understand that there's a big difference between this and junk and that there is a historical value. I don't think buying a T206 card is that much different than buying an Andy Warhol, a Picasso, or a sculpture. If I were to say "I collect original Andy Warhols", I would be complimented to no end. People would beg to see them. Cards get the opposite effect.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 05-10-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I'm in the same boat as most members, no one at all to talk cards about so when I found this site, even reading posts was like a huge breath of fresh air.
I have met a few members at auctions and it's has been great talking with them albeit for a short while.

Last October a group met in Ann Arbor Mi, but I was traveling and could not attend. That sucked, missed my chance to meet a bunch of cardboard junkies in person. There is talk of another get together and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by brob28; 05-10-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Other than me, no one in my family collected anything. I was unique in that I was the collector.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Default who collects

very few i know, except my boy john d!!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Barry Arnold

Default collecting vintage cards

not alone---just contemplative solitude.

all the best,
barry
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
When I mention cards to my friends the only thing they are interested in is how much the cards are worth.
I can't stand when people only ask how much my collection is worth! It's like asking how much is in someone's 401K, or stock portfolio.

For the most part I'm totally alone as well, but I do have a few friends who collected pretty heavily with me when I was a kid. One worked in a card shop and had a pretty ridiculous collection of 40's/50's/60's for a 14 year old. All have "grown up" since and for the most part have given it up. It is nice have some buddies though who can at least appreciate cards. I'm getting married in 9 days and will be giving cards to my groomsmen (one thanks to Cy!), and I know each will get the significance of his card. That said, I rarely tell them about my purchases because A) they think it's ridiculous and irresponsible to spend the money I do and B) they then get jealous!!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Paul Hawk

I too am a one man wolf pack....

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I am also on my own. My wife listens to me about cards like I listen to her about fashion. It's been 20 years since I've had a friend who collected. I stopped while I was in the Marines for 12 years and never once encountered another collector. Look on the bright side - more for us!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Mostly alone-an old friend of mine and I collected modern stuff back in the 80's and eventually became weekend warriors but after we stopped that and split the inventory he really didn't collect anymore. I have another friend who is a casual modern collector but that's about it. And when I talk research on this stuff, fuhgeddaboutit!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I'm all alone also.

The only people that I can talk about baseball cards with are at the shows. Most people that I try to talk to about cards will give me the same answer: "My Mom threw out my cards".

Thank God for Net54, otherwise I would think that I was the only one interested in cards.

There should be support groups set up for us where we can discuss our loneliness when it comes to collecting cards.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I'm all alone also.

The only people that I can talk about baseball cards with are at the shows. Most people that I try to talk to about cards will give me the same answer: "My Mom threw out my cards".

Thank God for Net54, otherwise I would think that I was the only one interested in cards.

There should be support groups set up for us where we can discuss our loneliness when it comes to collecting cards.
Same here. Exactly
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Zach

Wow, I really actually thought there were some cliques of collectors on here or at least I thought most of Net54 members have a lot of people around them that collect. I am now discovering that most people in this world do not collect jack squat.
I guess there is one advantage to having such a small population of collectors out there, less competition, lower prices, and more availability of cards. I don't think I would be owning some of the cards I have if it was not for such a small population of collectors.

Last edited by zljones; 05-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark7781 View Post
I too am a one man wolf pack....
Is this board pager-friendly?

I too have made all of my collector-friends through hobby boards and card shows. No one else in my family or circle of friends/acquaintances collects.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Todd C

A few months ago I purchased an old PCL program and found out the seller (Andy) actually worked across the street from me ! small world we live in sometimes.

No other family or friends collect the pre-war. My brother collects football cards so at least I can talk about selling nightmares or great buys.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Zach,

This is a great question. I think I'd have to agree with the majority here that none of my friends/relatives are into cards. I won't repeat the already mentioned reasons, because they are the same.

That is why I love this board!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Marty K.

Default alone most of the time thats why I am a Net 54 junkie

I am "luckey" to have a couple of passionate local collectors that I can share with,.......... Sharing your collection with someone who appreciates it is very enjoyable ...Have also tried to reach out to a couple of others ( Gary and Ed) with no luck?..... a WNY get together could be fun.................Good topic,........ interesting responses
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 PM

A guy I work with collects celebrity autographs and knows about baseball and baseball history, so he has an interest when I talk about sports memorabilia and sales. He knows what was Merkle's Boner and who was Walter Johnson and Dizzy Dean and all that.

I never thought it was a big deal that there were few to know local people who collect what I do. As I've had a website for over 10 years, I can show stuff off to fellow collectors-- it's just that they don't live nearby. The internet makes it a small world.

Besides, just because someone next door collect the same stuff as you doesn't mean you'll like the guy. After all, I've observed various feuds on this board.

Last edited by drc; 05-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Hahaha...nice Japanese version by Erik Carumen...

My best friend and his girlfriend are big antique advertising collectors and I also have other friends who collect stuff (one has a top notch James Bond collection) so I can at least talk "shop" with them and they understand...but I don't know anyone else personally who collects cards. My exgf didn't understand it...but supported my hobby since I enjoy it.

Ricky Y
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
Hahaha...nice Japanese version by Erik Carumen...

My best friend and his girlfriend are big antique advertising collectors and I also have other friends who collect stuff (one has a top notch James Bond collection) so I can at least talk "shop" with them and they understand...but I don't know anyone else personally who collects cards. My exgf didn't understand it...but supported my hobby since I enjoy it.

Ricky Y
You know what, seriously, it is getting to the point where I just wish I knew someone that collected "something," everyone I know does not collect a damn thing at all. At least if I found another collector then I could gab a little, everyone around me just wants to watch TV, or be out drinking (I can join them for that on weekends), or buying clothes, or playing on their cellphones or Ipads.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Map of N54

What might be cool sometime is to make an online map of N54 members so you can see who's around you in case you want to get together for a beer, ball game, or show-and-tell session with your cards. Or for those of us that travel a lot, you could drop a message to somebody when you're coming to town, instead of eating dinner by yourself...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Except for my hobby friends same for me (nadda). When I tell others that I collect and buy and sell baseball cards they kind of giggle and say "that's nice."
Thats funny!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Say 'antique sports memorabilia.' It sounds less geeky than baseball cards.

I'm an art historian by trade, but there's always the question if something is or is not art (We'd have a two hour argument here if that Mark Rothko painting is art)-- so I often say I date and authenticate "artifacts" (a photo is an artifact, a lithograph is an artifact, even a T206 and a 1930 baseball pin is an artifact). A portion of the lay people then assume I work with 200 BC archeological items.

Last edited by drc; 05-12-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Barry Arnold

Default david

if the folks think of the field as 200 BCE, then their wrong assumption is less culpable methnks.

all the best,
barry
Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
What might be cool sometime is to make an online map of N54 members so you can see who's around you in case you want to get together for a beer, ball game, or show-and-tell session with your cards. Or for those of us that travel a lot, you could drop a message to somebody when you're coming to town, instead of eating dinner by yourself...

Take Care,
Geno
This is a good idea and would be fairly easy to do. It wouldn't have to be specific to home address for those concerned about privacy. All of us lonely geeks could look each other up when traveling.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post

Take Care,
Geno
+1
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I feel your pain. With the exception of 3-4 years in elementary/middle school, the only people I had to talk "collectibles" of any sort with were the owners of the various card and comic shops I would frequent. Rare were the times when someone would mention having a collection of anything made earlier than the 1980's, let alone something that I was interested in.

Even now, when people ask what I do for a living and I tell them, "I buy and sell collectibles on the internet," I mostly get amazed stares and the inevitable, "you can actually make a living doing that?" I tell them I'm not getting rich, but do manage to make ends meet, and then the conversation turns to something else (except the rare occasion where they ask me about some "rare" recently-made collectible that they have and I have to break the bad news to them).

I will admit that I am blessed to have made a couple of friends locally in the last few years (that I also do business with) that I can have an actual conversation about "the stuff" with, and there is something refreshing about talking about such things without having to type the conversation.