NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Matt

Default Info Need on Christy Mathewson Day 1925

Does anyone have any information on a Christy Mathewson Day in 1925? I picked up a baseball with an inscription on it referencing that game.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Matt

Here's pictures of the ball.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 02:01 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Matt. I haven't anything solid, but Google Books offers this tantalizing
fragment from a book:

"... Lieb's quandary about whether or not to buy rainout insurance for "Christy Mathewson Day" (a benefit for the needy pitcher) at the Polo Grounds; ..."

This half-sentence is from Diamond classics: essays on 100 of the best baseball books ever published‎ - Page 53 by Mike Shannon - Reference - 1989 - 455 pages

If anybody has a complete Fred Lieb library, maybe there's something there
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Matt

Mark,
Thanks for the help. Hopefully, somebody else will have some more info.
Matt
Old 05-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Max Weder

The Matty testimonial game referred to by Lieb was in 1921. "A Gamble for Rain--for Matty" is Chapter 12, pp 139-43, in Lieb's 1977 book "Baseball as I have known it"

I don't have any information on a 1925 game.

Max
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Dan Bretta

On May 14, 1925 the Giants played the Reds on "Old Timers Day"...I wonder if they were honoring Matty that day?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 PM
David McDonald

According to the New York Times Archives on Sept 30, 1921 a benefit fundraiser was held at the Polo Grounds to honor Mathewson. A five inning game between Giant Old-Timers and the 1921 squad was held to be followed by a regular season game against the Braves which was rained out after the first inning. Searching "Matty Day" yielded an article reporting Matty's letter to Baseball Association of Writers Pres. Frederick Lieb thanking him for the success of "Matty Day".

On May 14, 1925 the Giants game versus Cincinnati was preceded by an Old Timers Celebration which featured the likes of Amos Rusie and Roger Connor and Dan Brouthers. Although the article referred to the National League's Golden Jubilee nary a mention was made of Mathewson.

Searching "Mathewson Day" the only hit I got was for an event held in Factoryville, Penna. held on August 29, 1923 which Matty was able to attend.

There is this in 1926:
BASEBALL TEAMS JOIN IN MATTY DAY GAMES
Every State in Nation Stages Contests to Aid in Building of Memorials.
August 29, 1926, Sunday
Baseball teams throughout the country observed Matty Day yesterday. Professional, semi-professional, industrial and amateur teams contributed the proceeds of their games to the Christy Mathewson Memorial Foundation to assist in the building of two memorials to the famous pitcher -- one at Bucknell College, Matty's alma mater, and the other at Saranac Lake, where he spent his last days.

Nothing definitive here. The NL began in 1876 if I am not mistaken hence the Golden Jubilee year would be 1926 yet the 1925 game referenced the GJ. The dates on the ball are a bit confusing and I am not sure what's up with "Christy Matty Day". The articles make for fun reading. They are in .pdf format and apparently too large to upload with the "Manage Attachments" application. E-mail me for copies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matty fundraiser box score.jpg (43.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 AM
William Peebles

The inscription seems fishy. As David mentioned, the Golden Jubilee was held in 1926. There was a ball produced for the event, it was a John Heydler NL ball like yours that had photos of the seven (?) league presidents to that point glued on the surface. They pop up on ebay every now and then.

The Matty inscription coupled with the date being altered doesn't bode well for it's authenticity.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Richard Simon

"Christy Matty Day" looks fishy to me, might be a fake addition to the ball.
And I would think they would have called it Christy Mathewson Day , not Christy Matty Day.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM

The National League Jubilee Balls with the photos of the Presidents had the Heydler facsimile signature in a different spot and I think it was in red ink.

Rhys
Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Matt

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I had some concerns that it was referred to as Matty Day not Mathewson. The inscription appears to be old, and the white spots are where the ball had flaked. It's been sitting in an antique shop for some time and I bought it yesterday. For the price, I thought it was worth picking up.
Thanks again,
Matt
Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
William Peebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
The National League Jubilee Balls with the photos of the Presidents had the Heydler facsimile signature in a different spot and I think it was in red ink.

Rhys
Regarding the Jubilee balls, was the Heydler signature located in a different spot as compared to a standard issue NL ball, or just different from Matt's ball in particular? I've seen a few online but never handled one personally. From what I remember, the photos ran along the north/south panels and the league stamping was east/west, similar to a standard NL ball.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 AM

The two that I have owned had photos on the side panels so the facsimile signature was beneath the center "Official National League" logo and in red ink as opposed to the side panel in black ink. I have never seen one with a black side panel and it would have been partially obstructed by the photos. To me, there is no way this was one of the Jubilee Balls with the photos on it. Those little photos pop off sometimes but they always leave a mark where they were and that is not present on Richards Ball.

Rhys