NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Default Observations of Shipping Cost Complaints

Posted By: davidcycleback

This is not a complaint but an observation. I am both a seller and buyer, and I would complain if someone charged me $50 to ship an index card. There also has been no recent complaint about my shipping charges, so this isn't a self serving beef because some eBayer got up my nose.

I have literally sold thousands of items on eBay. I often ship large items (painting, book, oversized print/photos, jerseys) where I have to guess beforehand the shipping cost. I won't know the cost until I get the receipt from the PO. With large items I usually underestimate the shipping cost. These underestimates are no big deal and I count it as part of business.

Looking back at all my sales I have never had a buyer reimburse me or offer to reimburse me when I undercharge for shipping. I wouldn't accept extra money anyway, as the shipping was quoted as part of the auction description and it would be incredibly cheesy to ask for more $$ after the sale.

So my question is how many of those who complain about overcharges have ever, on their own, reimbursed the seller as they were undercharged for shipping? Has anyone ever paid $10 shipping, saw on the package label that the shipping was $15 so paypaled the seller $5? And if you have never done this, why should should your complaints about being overcharged for shipping be taken seriously?

As innacurate shiping cost is such a pressing issue for many buyers, it is my opinion that when someone complains about being overcharged for shipping (assuming the shipping cost is stated in auction, is within the realms of sanity and the item is packaged/shipped well), this person should go back through their purchases for the last three monthes and reimburse the sellers where the stated auction description shipping cost was less than the actual shipping cost.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Hi there,

I charge $4 for an ungraded item, $7 for graded. Both prices cover full insurance. I also combine multiple items at no extra charge (so much less hassle then having to potentially deal with a non-payer)

I pay the extra costs if there are any. My rates include bubble envelope, two thick cardboard slabs to protect the card, printing/taping/handling/shipping at PO. I've had no complaints and if I am buying an item and shipping is over priced, I won't bid. If shipping was $50, I'd expect the item (depending on size) in my hands the next day.

$50 for an index card is nuts. I'd charge $14.00 at most, and at that price you'd have it the next day.

-Kyle-

Old 01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I sold a $40 card on the BST here. I said that it would include shipping and insurance. The buyer who took it failed to inform me that he lived in Canada which makes shipping significantly more expensive. Granted, I should have stated that the price included shipping in the US, but I would think it would be a common courtesy for someone in this situation to inform the seller and see if additional shipping costs apply. Live and learn.
JimB

Old 01-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have had sellers reimburse me for what they thought was an overcharge of postage and have done it on a few occasions myself when I over estimated the postage, but never have I had someone send me money for not collecting enoough, which happens on bigger items.

I have found that using the postage shipping calculator has helped to elievate some of that problem.

Jim, I agree with you on the B/S/T thread that if you are living in another country that you should expect to pay a little more for postage and to infor m the seller prior to the sale of the fact you live in another country.

Lee

Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

hey JimB,
Sorry about that. email me and we can work out what the difference was
Bill

Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i agree David.
sounds like equity and justice to me.

best,

barry

Old 01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Ive never had a buyer reimburse me when the cost to ship was higher than the amount collected. Though I did have one buyer claim that he had to pay additional money when the package was delivered and asked me to cover it. I declined when he failed to come up with any receipt for the alleged COD.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I guess that I am thinking a bit differently on this subject. Shipping costs are factored into my bid amount.

I never even consider what stamps are on the envelope.

This seems to be a trivial pursuit, imho. After all, the top loaders, sleeves, tape, fuel cost to the post office, wear and tear on your shoes, nerves, and free time, etc. all have to be factored in.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: erstevens

I've never been undercharged on shipping, so I'm not sure what I'd do if undercharged. I'd probably faint first. Maybe I'm not a very representative buyer - strictly small time and low grade material. Regardless, in my experience, I have always gotten the short end of the stick in shipping. As a result, I have a hard time feeling a lot of pain for sellers who occasionally undercharge for shipping. Typically, the sellers determine the terms of the deal. If you undercharged, then you can't really blame the buyer. - Erland

Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I sell truck Hoods and BIG Bumper Covers which all ship Truck freight (18 wheeler). As most know, there is a residential fee that the freight company charges which range from 25-50 dollors. Some sellers do freight collect which I think hurts an auction becasue the buyer does not know the total cost and if he lives in BFE the freight could be 200.00 or more. So we do a flat rate to a business at 115.00 or a dock pick up. We tell people they need to add 50.00 to the total if shipping to a residential address.

Most people only want to pay what's on their automatic invoice and try to sneak their home address by us which delays in shipping time. I think there is not one company out there that can move bigger packages in a timely manor and at a good fair price. By the time UPS/Fed-X/DHL hit you for oversize fees and DIM weight you are toast! Dealing with the freight companies is like dealing with the MOB!