NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Bill Boyd

Default Tcma postcards, questions

Hi All,
I have seldom posted here in the post War area, but I had someone approach me with 24 of these TCMA, ALL-TIME GREATS postcards. The years appears to be 73 - 75, but some have both, 1973 on front and 1975 on the back. And some do not have anything stamped on back.
They are somewhat difficult to search online, as I have not found a 1973 or 75 checklist, or value list. Ebay sellers do not give them much value, $1 to $10, according to condition and subject.
So am I correct to assume, the ones with no back, and 1973 are indeed 1973 postcards? And the ones with 1973 on front and 1975 on back are 1975 postcards?
But what year are they with no years stamped either side. I have a Cy Young (shown), with no year on front and plain back. I then have three with no year on front (see Keeler photo), and are stamped on back, but no year stamped in front of the "TCMA" where others show the year "1975". (see Keeler and Speaker backs).
It appears that all or most of these cards were printed in 1973, but only so many were issued in 1973 and the rest in 1975. And in the case of the ones with no year, they just escaped the printing process and were a mistake
Am I correct in my assumption or does anyone else have further information.
Thank you.

Attachment 199468

Attachment 199469

Attachment 199470

Attachment 199471

Last edited by billyb; 01-17-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Curt

I believe one of the original TCMA owners son is a member here and could probably provide better details. i have read a number of posts where he provides details about cards and sets, even the company itself.

I bought a "set" of them when I was a kid. They were mail order from what was probably a TCMA catalog. I would guess it was somewhere around 1979 when I bought mine. I think a few more were issued later or around that time as well, but I want to say the set was somewhere in the 150-180 card range. I have since bought a number of lots and they are all mixed together, so I am not sure how many I got originally. I really liked them as a kid and still do, but you are right, they don't have tremendous value. I suspect plenty were printed to meet demand.

Several of mine have tape and pin holes from when I displayed them on my walls in my bedroom! I have upgraded most, but it is fun to see the results of a kid who just collected for the fun of it with no thought of future value in mind.

To add, many of mine had backs with stats, many were blank and some just had the postcard type markings on them with no stats. I never did figure out if there was a pattern to how the backs were configured.

Last edited by mrmopar; 08-04-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Bill Boyd

Thanks Curt,

None of the cards with the date and player's stats on back, have the year stamped on the front. And the ones missing the date, the printing on the back is upside down when you flip a card over.
The cards with plain backs, On the front, has the date printed, 1973 TCMA Ltd. or C. 1973 TCMA, But the font size differs.
I have to say, these have my curiosity level up. Think I will hold onto them.

Thanks again Curt.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Curt

i wasn't sure I would be able to find an issue in my mess, but I lucked out and found one quickly. I loved browsing these and similar card catalogs at the time, always wishing I could drop something crazy (like $20) on stuff, but maybe lucky to spend $5!

Here is an add for the postcard set in 1979 at 132 cards. You'll notice they don't say postcard size, but I am pretty sure that they didn't make that many of the smaller version cards. I vaguely remember now ordering them and being disappointed that they were so big when I got them, but grew to appreciate them.

How about those Laughlin set prices too!!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Bill Boyd

Thanks Curt,
Great advertisement. Somehow, these TCMA postcards slipped past me. But, when they had been issued, I was not back to collecting yet ( mid 1980s), but I still should have seen some somewhere. But I only collected for another 5 years, when the card manufacturers were coming out from everywhere. And I just got back in a couple of years ago.
I am sure thee are many others I have not seen.....yet.
As I said, for some reason, they are growing on me.

Bill
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I believe one of the original TCMA owners son is a member here and could probably provide better details. i have read a number of posts where he provides details about cards and sets, even the company itself.
That's me . billyb, I will ask my father and see if he can provide any insight. Also, if you are looking for more of these I do know that Baseball Nostalgia in Cooperstown (co-owned by my father since the mid 70's) does have quite a few different and they're cheap.

Last edited by TCMA; 08-26-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
That's me . billyb, I will ask my father and see if he can provide any insight. Also, if you are looking for more of these I do know that Baseball Nostalgia in Cooperstown (co-owned by my father since the mid 70's) does have quite a few different and they're cheap.
So, here's a response from my father regarding this:

"I personally typed the backs and stuck the names on the front of these postcards! They were printed a few times in different series. I think 12 or 24 at a time. Blank ones had to have been first and the backs later. Wow! 154 cards in the set, i totally forgot. Somewhere in our archive are the Baseball Advertiser publications we did in the 70's they should have a pretty good chronology."

So, if you can track down some of the older Baseball Advertiser publications those might yield some more info. You can also try getting in touch with the guys at Baseball Nostalgia, as Pete over there has a lot of knowledge regarding the chronology of TCMA sets.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Tom Boblitt

I have a group of 80-100 of them bought as a 'set' a couple years back. I'll have to look through them and take a look. I do remember they were popular for autographs. I think I still have a Greenberg autographed somewhere in all my mess. Great cards...........