NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Lelands issue - what do you think is right?

In the current Leland's auction (you can see the items online as the catalogs have not all been delivered yet) there were three fake rings.

I would like your opinions on this matter.

I am a championship ring collector and have accumulated a large database of rings. This database is a valuable tool in helping to determine if a ring is legit. It's amazing how many fake rings there are out there and now there is a disturbing trend where fake rings have bogus markings inside of the rings with manufacturer's markings to make them look real.

I emailed Leland's about the three rings but I get the feeling they think I am more of a pain in the neck than someone trying to help them and trying to help fellow collectors.

I sent them pictures of three Braves rings and detailed how the three were different than their offering. All they could say was that they would check it out with their "ring expert". Well they did remove the fake ring today.

I alerted them to two Yankee rings that were made by someone who ring collectors know all too well. These two fake rings, with "Balfour" stampings are not real.

I emailed Leland's with pictures showing the differences and Lelands changed the descriptions of both lots from claiming the rings were "exactly what the players received" to an update that says "This is not an exact duplicate. It varies slightly from those that the players received. This ring was made at a later date. "

Please look at my picture and let me know if you feel I am being too picky, or if you feel Lelands is not acting in the best interest of collectors. I would really appreciate the thoughts of others in our hobby. By the way,although Turner's ring is a '55 and Leland's is a '57, the ring molds on the top of the ring are supposed to be 100% identical.

The differrences between Jim Turner's ring and the Leland's ring:

Jim Turner's real ring has three stars below the stones in the hat. All the fakes made lack these stars. Some of the sellers who sell this junk claim Balfour lost the mold and had to recreate the molds. Balfour would never leave something as significant as stars out. Also, notice how big the faux stones are in the Lelands ring. they do not fit in the ring as nicely as the real ring and the stones in the hat are also poorly placed in the Lelands ring.

Look at the shape of both hats. Turner's is much nicer. Notice the "Y" and the stone in the Leland's ring, they are way too close.

Maybe the Lelands ring is kind of close, but should'nt this be classified as a ring copy and not a real Balfour Ring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (67.2 KB, 504 views)