NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 PM
CooperstownExpert CooperstownExpert is offline
Jim Smiley
member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 107
Default August Autograph Pickups

What will everyone pick up this month?

Here's an August acquisition. The letter is signed by Christy Mathewson's primary catcher Chief Meyers referencing Matty's 342nd win and written on the same day - May 19, 1914. That victory tied Mathewson for 4th on the all-time wins list with Tim Keefe. Only Cy Young, Pud Galvin, and Kid Nichols were ahead of Matty at that point.

Meyers writes, "In the game today, with the Cincinnati club with Mathewson pitching, I used the Model C.M. Catcher's Mitt, made for me by your firm yesterday.

"In my many years of experience, I have never had a Catchers Mitt that I could use without extensive breaking in.

"The perfect balance, deep pocket, and excellent leather make it The Finest Mitt I have ever caught with."

Meyers has boldly signed the bottom of the letter, "Chief John T. Meyers".

This letter, and many autographs of most Hall of Famers and many important baseball figures can be found on my website, CooperstownExpert.com. Once you're there, search for your favorite player. Every HoFer has a page along with over 250 non-Hall of Fame guys. I hope you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chief-Meyers-letter-e1564934769922-742x1024.jpg (71.7 KB, 281 views)
__________________
Jim Smiley
CooperstownExpert.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Wrightfan85 Wrightfan85 is offline
Andy H
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 136
Default

Completely forgot that the other thread said July lol. Let's try this again:

New Postcard addition



As someone who has volunteered at Hyde Park, I'm psyched beyond belief to add her to my collection:
[/quote]
__________________
My gold HOF postcard collection:
http://www.collectorfocus.com/collec...gned-postcards
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2019, 04:26 PM
CooperstownExpert CooperstownExpert is offline
Jim Smiley
member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightfan85 View Post
Completely forgot that the other thread said July lol. Let's try this again:

New Postcard addition



As someone who has volunteered at Hyde Park, I'm psyched beyond belief to add her to my collection:
[/quote]

So glad you added Mrs. Roosevelt. That kind of interest you have is why we all collect. Congrats!
__________________
Jim Smiley
CooperstownExpert.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 PM
earlywynnfan's Avatar
earlywynnfan earlywynnfan is offline
Ke.n Su.lik
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,638
Default

Finally pulled the trigger and reached the pinnacle of my WWII/MLB collection: Elmer Gedeon and Harry O'Neill! As a bonus, I also picked up Bob Neighbors, WWII Vet and Korean War casualty.

The only negative is, where do I go from here?? I've wanted these for so long that now I don't know what to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0768.jpg (75.6 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0769.jpg (75.9 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0770 (1).jpg (69.1 KB, 231 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Case12 Case12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperstownExpert View Post
What will everyone pick up this month?

Here's an August acquisition. The letter is signed by Christy Mathewson's primary catcher Chief Meyers referencing Matty's 342nd win and written on the same day - May 19, 1914. That victory tied Mathewson for 4th on the all-time wins list with Tim Keefe. Only Cy Young, Pud Galvin, and Kid Nichols were ahead of Matty at that point.

Meyers writes, "In the game today, with the Cincinnati club with Mathewson pitching, I used the Model C.M. Catcher's Mitt, made for me by your firm yesterday.

"In my many years of experience, I have never had a Catchers Mitt that I could use without extensive breaking in.

"The perfect balance, deep pocket, and excellent leather make it The Finest Mitt I have ever caught with."

Meyers has boldly signed the bottom of the letter, "Chief John T. Meyers".

This letter, and many autographs of most Hall of Famers and many important baseball figures can be found on my website, CooperstownExpert.com. Once you're there, search for your favorite player. Every HoFer has a page along with over 250 non-Hall of Fame guys. I hope you enjoy.
This is a super pick up!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2019, 09:07 AM
tazdmb tazdmb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Outside Detroit
Posts: 888
Default

Major National Pickups, including #269



__________________
My Photobucket:
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/taz...?sort=3&page=1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,390
Default

Just bought a terrific collection.
Here is the best piece.
Card stock photo of one of the most historic events in world history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wright.jpg (74.0 KB, 172 views)
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-07-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 AM
scooter729's Avatar
scooter729 scooter729 is offline
Scott S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,048
Default

Very cool Orville Wright signed pic, Richard! Not my area of focus, but never saw any like that before!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 AM
scooter729's Avatar
scooter729 scooter729 is offline
Scott S
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,048
Default

Thought it might be neat to post a story and a pic. Back in 2012, the Red Sox had some big celebrations around the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. They sent to season ticket holders (me included) a bunch of items around the anniversary, including this 8x10 picture of various Red Sox great players.

In the years since, I've brought the picture with me when I've had the chance to get it signed by someone in the picture. It's not an obsession, I've never paid for anyone to sign (which is why I don't have the big names on here), but would like to get as many as I can when possible.

While at a road race a couple of weeks ago (my wife was running, not me), I recognized 1967 AL Cy Young winner Jim Lonborg standing a few feet away from me in the crowd of spectators. I said hello, and we started chatting for a bit. After a while, I joked that I needed to bump into him again sometime, and told him about this picture.

Lonborg was ever gracious, got a slip of paper, wrote down his home address and told me to mail it to him, and he would sign it and get it right back to me. Lo and behold, I sent it and it came right back, all in under a week.

Might need to see about how I can add a few more signatures to this in the near future now! Just thought it was worth sharing a story of a generous offer from a former player....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sox team pic 1 lo.jpg (76.7 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 08-08-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2019, 07:19 AM
tazdmb tazdmb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Outside Detroit
Posts: 888
Default

So I went to the Tigers game yesterday to get potential HOFer Joe West's autograph (will not get into debate of whether Umpires deserve induction). Anyways, after the game he signed the below baseball and inscription. Turns out since 5000 games umpired, he inscribes every baseball with total number of games umpired. The inscription will never be used again after Today's game. Thought that was kind of different and very Joe West of him.

__________________
My Photobucket:
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/taz...?sort=3&page=1
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
7nohitter's Avatar
7nohitter 7nohitter is offline
Member
And.rew Mil.ler
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 1,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
So I went to the Tigers game yesterday to get potential HOFer Joe West's autograph (will not get into debate of whether Umpires deserve induction). Anyways, after the game he signed the below baseball and inscription. Turns out since 5000 games umpired, he inscribes every baseball with total number of games umpired. The inscription will never be used again after Today's game. Thought that was kind of different and very Joe West of him.

Wow, he actually has a beautiful autograph! Based on that odd frickin chin of his, I would not have guessed!

Say what you will, the guy has seen his share of games!
__________________
Working on the 1957 Topps set.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autographs, chief meyers, christy mathewson, cy young, tim keefe



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
August pickups scooter729 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 176 08-31-2017 04:44 PM
August Pickups. Jcfowler6 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 130 08-31-2017 09:31 AM
August pickups earlywynnfan Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 52 08-27-2015 12:14 AM
August Autograph Pickups tazdmb Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 90 09-02-2014 12:02 PM
August Autograph Pickups daves_resale_shop Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 57 09-01-2012 07:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


ebay GSB