NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Default SGC question

I got my latest submission back, and I'm generally happy, even though most came in a bit lower than I'd thought. 50's and 60's instead of 60's and 70's. I had one correct, 3 with tiny flaws I'd missed that look ok, 4 that were just a bit lower than I'd thought, one that didn't grade- a separate question I need to think about some. And this one. I had some pretty high hopes for this one, as it compared favorably to a couple from my first batch.

And the ones from the first group.

So what did I miss? Or did I just get really lucky on my first group?
Would you think I'd do much better if I sent it back for review? I'd figured it was at least as nice as the Rucker, but has better corners and centering, and the back is more white. It's for sure better than the Spencer, better corners, and no slight stain on the back.

Steve B
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Robert Williams

I would resub the card (the 4) from the 2nd group. You probably got the new grader who is a little unsure how T206's are supposed to look.....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Rob Miller

I agree that you should resubmit, although I was under the impression that at least 2 graders check out each card so the issue might not just be a new grader.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Doug C.

Unless there's a really faint paper wrinkle that's not showing up in the scan the Bescher looks as good as the other two IMO.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 AM

I'm sure you have looked closely at that 4 card, but I'd look again and look real hard. IMO there is no way that someone at SGC assigned a card with that eye appeal a 4 unless they spotted a serious defect (wrinkle, etc.)

Also since SGC has no qualifiers, it is possible that a card which might have drawn a 6 or 7 showing minor erased pencil on the reverse could get a 4, I think.

Might be worth calling Michael there to see what he says...maybe the grader can provide some insight.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default residue

This might or might not be the case but sometimes there is residue on the backs of cards that can barely be seen. On more than a few occasions I have wondered why a card got a low grade, then I feel of the back, and there are "bumps" of residue that I couldn't see. Otherwise, I would think it would have received a higher grade. (also, unless there is an unseen wrinkle as already mentioned)
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Brian Dwyer

Generally on a card that grades a 50 but otherwise looks NM, there is a faint crease that may only be visible under a halogen light. There also may be some residue or staining as Leon mentioned. I'd try and replicate the grading environment as best as possible by using a halogen light in a completely dark room and see if that brings out a flaw. There are no new graders at SGC that don't know what a T206 is supposed to look like.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Clayton

Default Wow!!!

steve B- those are some beautiful cards, congrats on those!!!!

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks everyone. And especially Brian. I finally found the flaw. There's a very slight bend, running roughly along a line from the bottom of the C to the lowest uniform button.

It's only visible under certain lighting conditions, especially in the holder.
Bright natural light and Halogen didn't make it visible, only muted natural light at a very shallow angle. It shows as a difference in gloss from one section to the next. If I had to guess, the difference from the cardboard being flat is probably less than a degree, probably much less.

I'm pretty impressed they were able to find that. I did a very close examination before sending it in. And obviously a few after to try to figure out the grade. Plus I've had the card for over 20 years. It makes me feel much more confident in the other grades too.

I know it's probably mostly trade secrets, but I'd love to know what the overall process of grading is. In other words, what gets looked at in what order. And maybe take some of the training, maybe some sort of seminar? I think that would be very interesting. Lots to learn beyond the familiar system.

I'll be adding scans to the registry, mine is STB206. Not many graded yet, as many of mine would only be 10s (And I'm very confident about those )

Steve B
Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Steve- I'd say you did well. Those are really nice looking cards. I think you got a higher grade than I would have expected on the Spencer because of the stain on the back and what appears to be a tiny "tick" on the right border below his left shoulder. I would have thought a 50 on that one so that's great you got an 80. The Bescher is a very pretty card for a 50, you don't see many of that portrait Bescher in such nice shape.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Johnny S

Nice card! You can always crack and send to psa and get an 8.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post

...or a 3. Or anything in between!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Nah, Now that I've found the flaw I'm happy with it as is. It's a 50, and should remain a 50.

And I was also expecting a bit less on the Spencer mostly because of the stain. The white spot next to the shoulder on the right isn't damage, just a tiny spot that didn't print. Both the Spencer and the Rucker were pleasant surprises. A Konetchy came back as a 50 from the first batch probably because of a tiny flake missing from the surface of one corner.

I'm pretty happy with the others too, a few were recent pickups, some others I've had for years. I'm having fun with the whole grading thing. Waiting to find out the grades is like buying the cards all over again. I'm only sending the nice ones, and so far the worst has been a very nice looking 40 Both 40's have had stuff I didn't notice. One I should have seen, a gouge on the back. The other was probably because of a paper inclusion that's pretty obvious once you're looking for problems.

Steve B
Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Barry Arnold

Default sgc

congrats on some great cards!!
Bob M, with that keen eye of yours, i'd say you've got a second career with
SGC when you get tired of practicing law.

all the best,
barry
Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Tony Quinn

That's why SGC is SOOOO much better than PSA. They do not overgrade like PSA, they grade accurately and honestly (irregardless of the customer). I hate PSA, they suck (only my opinion). SGC's holders blow away those lame PSA thin, clear ones too!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
That's why SGC is SOOOO much better than PSA. They do not overgrade like PSA, they grade accurately and honestly (irregardless of the customer). I hate PSA, they suck (only my opinion). SGC's holders blow away those lame PSA thin, clear ones too!
Agree 10,000 %
Old 09-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
Or an 8.5!