NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 PM
earlywynnfan's Avatar
earlywynnfan earlywynnfan is offline
Ke.n Su.lik
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,642
Default Tony Podsada busted at National!

Saw his table, $30 mantles, $40 jordans. Guys buying stacks of shit. I'm trying to tell people they're forgeries, but nobody will listen. Just walked by again, the cops and security are boxing it all up and taking it Away!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM
gregr2's Avatar
gregr2 gregr2 is offline
Greg Ryk0w$k1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,384
Default

It will all be headed to eBay by the end of the week.
__________________
Numerous successful transactions on Net54, just ask for references.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Michael B Michael B is offline
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
It will all be headed to eBay by the end of the week.
If I read this correctly, it was seized by the police. Not very likely you will see it on ebay. The local incinerator is probably its future home.
__________________
'Integrity is what you do when no one is looking'

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2018, 02:05 PM
gregr2's Avatar
gregr2 gregr2 is offline
Greg Ryk0w$k1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
If I read this correctly, it was seized by the police. Not very likely you will see it on ebay. The local incinerator is probably its future home.
Hopefully that is the case, I was just going by his statement "Guys buying stacks of shit." that some of it may have already left the building.
__________________
Numerous successful transactions on Net54, just ask for references.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,294
Default

Wonder if any other dealers don't show up tomorrow...
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,571
Default

Did he have the sign indicating the signed photos were "decorative items"?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2018, 06:32 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Saw his table, $30 mantles, $40 jordans. Guys buying stacks of shit. I'm trying to tell people they're forgeries, but nobody will listen. Just walked by again, the cops and security are boxing it all up and taking it Away!
Great post, Ken.

2016 at the National in Atlantic City, Tony Podsada was there.

Decorative" items. In other words, he threw his "authenticator" under the bus.

See below.



PodsadaNational-1.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-03-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2018, 06:50 PM
SetBuilder SetBuilder is offline
Manny
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key Biscayne, FL
Posts: 611
Default

Owners of expensive paintings sometimes have exact replicas made to hang on their walls and then they keep the real one in a climate controlled vault somewhere. For security reasons.

Couldn't the same logic be extended to sports memorabilia? Prices are skyrocketing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Lordstan's Avatar
Lordstan Lordstan is offline
M@rk V3l@rd3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 3,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Owners of expensive paintings sometimes have exact replicas made to hang on their walls and then they keep the real one in a climate controlled vault somewhere. For security reasons.

Couldn't the same logic be extended to sports memorabilia? Prices are skyrocketing.
Yes. Except that he is a very famous forger known for making things to sell as real.
__________________
My signed 1934 Goudey set(in progress).
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjFuyogy

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Owners of expensive paintings sometimes have exact replicas made to hang on their walls and then they keep the real one in a climate controlled vault somewhere. For security reasons.

Couldn't the same logic be extended to sports memorabilia? Prices are skyrocketing.
You can display fakes you just can't commit fraud.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM
commishbob's Avatar
commishbob commishbob is online now
Bob Andrews (threadkiller)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston Tx Area
Posts: 636
Default

Not a good look for the hobby, the National or TriStar. Why do they lease him a table/booth? Yes, I'm sure the answer is $$$ but are they that desperate?
__________________
My hobby blogs: Five Tool Collector 1959 Topps Baseball 1958 Topps Baseball 1960 Topps Baseball

Current Projects: 1957 Topps Baseball, 1953 Bowman Football, 1960 Leaf Baseball

Player Collections: Billy Pierce, Charles Bender, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Elston Howard, Mike Cuellar Always looking for unique Billy Pierce items

People are crazy and times are strange, I used to care but things have changed -Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 PM
SetBuilder SetBuilder is offline
Manny
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key Biscayne, FL
Posts: 611
Default

I'm not trying to defend the crook, I'm just interested in the legal question.

According to Mr. Zipper, he had a sign in front of his booth stating that the $40 Jordan signatures were "decorative items."

You also have the fact that real Jordan autographs don't cost only $40.

I'm curious as to how law enforcement is going to prove that his buyers were deceived. To prove fraud, you have to prove that his buyers were misled by material misrepresentations.

Maybe I'm missing some important details?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 PM
earlywynnfan's Avatar
earlywynnfan earlywynnfan is offline
Ke.n Su.lik
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,642
Default

He did NOT have "Decorative Items" anywhere, he was selling these as legit. I didn't actually talk to him (wasn't even aware that was who he was until Les Wolff told me.) But the forgeries were obvious even without the prices and volume of material.

This will always be the lasting memory of the 2018 National to me: I asked this customer next to me, who was buying a pile of items:
"Is he selling these as repros or something?"
No, they're real.
"He's selling Mantle 8x10 for $30 and you think they're real??"
I was wondering that too, but you've got to hear his stories, they're legit.
"No they're not, they're forgeries!!"
Do you think they'd actually let someone into the National who was selling forgeries?"

God Bless stupid people!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
I'm not trying to defend the crook, I'm just interested in the legal question.

According to Mr. Zipper, he had a sign in front of his booth stating that the $40 Jordan signatures were "decorative items."

You also have the fact that real Jordan autographs don't cost only $40.

I'm curious as to how law enforcement is going to prove that his buyers were deceived. To prove fraud, you have to prove that his buyers were misled by material misrepresentations.

Maybe I'm missing some important details?

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...1155035&page=1
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 PM
earlywynnfan's Avatar
earlywynnfan earlywynnfan is offline
Ke.n Su.lik
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
He did NOT have "Decorative Items" anywhere, he was selling these as legit. I didn't actually talk to him (wasn't even aware that was who he was until Les Wolff told me.) But the forgeries were obvious even without the prices and volume of material.

This will always be the lasting memory of the 2018 National to me: I asked this customer next to me, who was buying a pile of items:
"Is he selling these as repros or something?"
No, they're real.
"He's selling Mantle 8x10 for $30 and you think they're real??"
I was wondering that too, but you've got to hear his stories, they're legit.
"No they're not, they're forgeries!!"
Do you think they'd actually let someone into the National who was selling forgeries?"

God Bless stupid people!!
I should pull back a bit, I did not SEE that sign, or any other stating these were decorative items, but it definitely wasn't displayed on the side I was standing, nor was he telling people they were decorative.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
According to Mr. Zipper, he had a sign in front of his booth stating that the $40 Jordan signatures were "decorative items."
To clarify, he displayed the “decorative items” sign last year. I asked if he did the same this year.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 AM
chalupacollects chalupacollects is offline
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
To clarify, he displayed the “decorative items” sign last year. I asked if he did the same this year.
My opinion, doesn't matter if there was a "Decorative Items" sign posted. We know his customers are mainly buying to resell as authentic, if you believe the other previous posts. . People like this are a scourge on this hobby and hopefully they get the punishment they deserve...
__________________
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats and megalimey so far.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,571
Default

This story does not name the vendor, but I assume it is the same matter we are discussing here.

Vendor accused of trying to sell phony autographs at popular sports convention in Cleveland

https://fox8.com/2018/08/02/vendor-a...-in-cleveland/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 AM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,391
Default

As many of us here know he has a ton of the stuff. If all they did was confiscate his crap then he will just continue operating as always.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-03-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM
shelly shelly is offline
Shelly Jaf.fe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,028
Default

Well at least the Cleveland Police did there job. Unlike the FBI who has had this information for the last 10 years and have done nothing with it.
I also believe that you can not call autographs decorative items. I think you have to say reprints.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
To clarify, he displayed the “decorative items” sign last year. I asked if he did the same this year.
Read my Comment #7.

It shows a photo from the 2016 National in August.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Terrier8HOF Terrier8HOF is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 63
Default

From 2016:
"Many of the Ali autographs, which were then authenticated by eBay sellers by GFA, come from South Florida dealer Tony Podsada, who runs a company called SCM.

"At one point, I had about 18,000 Ali autographs," Podsada said. "I have about 3,000 left, mostly on 4-by-6 and 5-by-7 photos."

Podsada said he obtained the Ali signatures from 1988 to 1993, when his business, My Favorite Players, was one of the heavyweights in the industry.

Podsada's items do not come with a certificate of authenticity. Disenchanted with the authentication business, Podsada said he merely offers buyers the assurance that it's a "decorative item only."

"I believe what I have is real, but I don't guarantee anything because I know too much," Podsada said.

Podsada will sell a 5-by-7 plaque with an Ali signature for $19.99 because he says that the leading authenticators, PSA/DNA and JSA, will fail his items simply because of the quantity he has. That makes it harder, he says, to make a greater margin."

Is it just a coincidence that most of the sellers of forgeries on ebay are from S. florida, which happens to be where TP is from?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM
chalupacollects chalupacollects is offline
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF View Post
From 2016:
"Many of the Ali autographs, which were then authenticated by eBay sellers by GFA, come from South Florida dealer Tony Podsada, who runs a company called SCM.

"At one point, I had about 18,000 Ali autographs," Podsada said. "I have about 3,000 left, mostly on 4-by-6 and 5-by-7 photos."

Podsada said he obtained the Ali signatures from 1988 to 1993, when his business, My Favorite Players, was one of the heavyweights in the industry.

Podsada's items do not come with a certificate of authenticity. Disenchanted with the authentication business, Podsada said he merely offers buyers the assurance that it's a "decorative item only."

"I believe what I have is real, but I don't guarantee anything because I know too much," Podsada said.

Podsada will sell a 5-by-7 plaque with an Ali signature for $19.99 because he says that the leading authenticators, PSA/DNA and JSA, will fail his items simply because of the quantity he has. That makes it harder, he says, to make a greater margin."

Is it just a coincidence that most of the sellers of forgeries on ebay are from S. florida, which happens to be where TP is from?
Does anyone actually think Muhammad Ali spent his time actually writing his name 18,000 times?

May not be out of the realm of reality with today's players over the course of a career but a retired multi-millionaire national icon - don't think so...smh...
__________________
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats and megalimey so far.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Saw his table, $30 mantles, $40 jordans. Guys buying stacks of shit. I'm trying to tell people they're forgeries, but nobody will listen. Just walked by again, the cops and security are boxing it all up and taking it Away!
Finally, a real feel good story for 2018. He''s probably already out with the dot matrix printer & a new authentication company name. A true scum bag if ever there was one PERIOD. He has some pretty big balls to try and sell that well documented TRASH at the National. I hope he rots in prison or takes on a big fine that changes his pathetic little life.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Owners of expensive paintings sometimes have exact replicas made to hang on their walls and then they keep the real one in a climate controlled vault somewhere. For security reasons.

Couldn't the same logic be extended to sports memorabilia? Prices are skyrocketing.
Are you out of your skull? because these are horrendous looking photos that no collector would want on their wall. I let mine fade or make a nice photo copy and store the original. These are shit fake signatures on shit photo paper media with a shit printer...=SHIT
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
He did NOT have "Decorative Items" anywhere, he was selling these as legit. I didn't actually talk to him (wasn't even aware that was who he was until Les Wolff told me.) But the forgeries were obvious even without the prices and volume of material.

This will always be the lasting memory of the 2018 National to me: I asked this customer next to me, who was buying a pile of items:
"Is he selling these as repros or something?"
No, they're real.
"He's selling Mantle 8x10 for $30 and you think they're real??"
I was wondering that too, but you've got to hear his stories, they're legit.
"No they're not, they're forgeries!!"
Do you think they'd actually let someone into the National who was selling forgeries?"

God Bless stupid people!!
like his ridiculous huge whale fish tale that " I sued scoreboard and I won, so they're authentic scoreboard" moronic statement.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Runscott's Avatar
Runscott Runscott is offline
Belltown Vintage
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Are you out of your skull? because these are horrendous looking photos that no collector would want on their wall. I let mine fade or make a nice photo copy and store the original. These are shit fake signatures on shit photo paper media with a shit printer...=SHIT
We should have an icon that you can click to generate the above response to some of the "Is this Mantle real?" threads.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Below is a screenshot from the Feedback page of Ebay seller Rbisportsinc.

He (Rod) was a major seller of the "Florida" forgeries. I posted numerous threads on him.

Read his reply to a Feedback left from a buyer.




rbisportsinc-Feedback-2.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-03-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:15 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Now Ebay seller Rbisportsinc sells his GFA-certed crap on his own website.



https://rbisportsinc.com/mickey-mant...to-autographed
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:31 PM
SetBuilder SetBuilder is offline
Manny
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key Biscayne, FL
Posts: 611
Default

This case perfectly illustrates the gray area of the law these guys operate in. Current laws are inadequate to prevent this from happening.

The primary seller of these "decorative items," prices them at prices that would make it impossible to prove you overpaid and were defrauded. No experienced collector would have a case. Imagine the absurdity of proving that the Ali signed plaque is worth $0 and that you paid $19.99 too much for it. How would you even do that? Real Ali signatures are 10x more expensive.

So the fault here probably lies with the secondary seller, the unethical dealer who buys the $19.99 Ali signatures to flip as authentic. But, how is the primary seller liable for the actions of another dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-03-2018, 11:03 PM
SetBuilder SetBuilder is offline
Manny
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Key Biscayne, FL
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I hope he rots in prison or takes on a big fine that changes his pathetic little life.
Prison seems unlikely if he was selling Ali signed plaques for $19.99.

Most jurisdictions have forgery laws, but they only apply to things like real estate deeds and bank checks. So if you forge grandma's signature on a quit claim deed, or steal her checkbook...things like that. Those laws are hard to apply to sports memorabilia.

Mickey Mantle, for example, is a widely known sports figure, so how is his signature any different from artwork? A signature of Mantle is basically an artistic doodle. No different than an Andy Warhol soup can. Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal. Mantle's signature on a glossy 8 x 10 is completely different than grandma's signature on a legal document. The former is a piece of art, while the latter is a negotiable instrument.

Is a reproduction only evident by the sales price? Is that "authentic" Babe Ruth signed ball you bought for $200 at the local antiques show, with and a nod and a wink from the store owner, a reproduction? Or were you a victim of a crime? Is it only a crime when you pay the full price of an authentic Ruth signature?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-04-2018, 02:55 AM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is online now
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,613
Default

It's illegal to make or sell unlicensed reproductions of art if the artwork has copyrights/trademarks. It's illegal to sell 'reproductions' of Levi's jeans, Coach bags or NFL jerseys period-- whether or not you tell customers they aren't authentic. In fact, if you inform customers that those Coach bags aren't authentic, that's admission that you know you're selling counterfeits.

Last edited by drcy; 08-04-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 AM
chalupacollects chalupacollects is offline
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Prison seems unlikely if he was selling Ali signed plaques for $19.99.

Most jurisdictions have forgery laws, but they only apply to things like real estate deeds and bank checks. So if you forge grandma's signature on a quit claim deed, or steal her checkbook...things like that. Those laws are hard to apply to sports memorabilia.

Mickey Mantle, for example, is a widely known sports figure, so how is his signature any different from artwork? A signature of Mantle is basically an artistic doodle. No different than an Andy Warhol soup can. Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal. Mantle's signature on a glossy 8 x 10 is completely different than grandma's signature on a legal document. The former is a piece of art, while the latter is a negotiable instrument.

Is a reproduction only evident by the sales price? Is that "authentic" Babe Ruth signed ball you bought for $200 at the local antiques show, with and a nod and a wink from the store owner, a reproduction? Or were you a victim of a crime? Is it only a crime when you pay the full price of an authentic Ruth signature?
If its fake and you sell it and you know its fake without disclosure its fraud... Does this jerk even have the rights to use the photographic images he is printing out?
__________________
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats and megalimey so far.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 AM
silvor silvor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Most jurisdictions have forgery laws, but they only apply to things like real estate deeds and bank checks. So if you forge grandma's signature on a quit claim deed, or steal her checkbook...things like that. Those laws are hard to apply to sports memorabilia.
Selling a fake auto, purse, etc is called FRAUD, so there's that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal.
Yes it is.

Last edited by silvor; 08-04-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-04-2018, 11:10 AM
shelly shelly is offline
Shelly Jaf.fe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,028
Default

I would estimate that he has sold over 20,000,000 dollars over the past 17 years. I know that Richard, Chris and I have been keeping track of his sales for a very long time. The FBI in Florida refused to go after him. They had a slam dunk.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-04-2018, 02:39 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would estimate that he has sold over 20,000,000 dollars over the past 17 years. I know that Richard, Chris and I have been keeping track of his sales for a very long time. The FBI in Florida refused to go after him. They had a slam dunk.
+1

They certainly did!!!

A slam dunk!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-04-2018, 03:22 PM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Does anyone actually think Muhammad Ali spent his time actually writing his name 18,000 times?

May not be out of the realm of reality with today's players over the course of a career but a retired multi-millionaire national icon - don't think so...smh...

I wouldn't be surprised if Ali signed a Million+ autographs throughout his life, a large portion of them for free.

Unfortunately there's probably 20 times that in fakes out there, because of the demand.

Highly doubt he signed 18,000 times for any one person or entity though..............particularly this scumbag.

Ali never really had any concept of money either. Likely gave most of it away. His most valuable asset to his family when he passed away, was easily his name.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would estimate that he has sold over 20,000,000 dollars over the past 17 years. I know that Richard, Chris and I have been keeping track of his sales for a very long time. The FBI in Florida refused to go after him. They had a slam dunk.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 PM
tdellis tdellis is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 53
Default Pic

Any photos of him?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:46 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,391
Default

Check with the Post Office, they may have a wanted poster.
In addition to what he does now, he is a convicted felon.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:47 PM
RichardSimon's Avatar
RichardSimon RichardSimon is offline
Richard Simon
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,391
Default deleted

started new thread.
__________________
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-05-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Prison seems unlikely if he was selling Ali signed plaques for $19.99.

Most jurisdictions have forgery laws, but they only apply to things like real estate deeds and bank checks. So if you forge grandma's signature on a quit claim deed, or steal her checkbook...things like that. Those laws are hard to apply to sports memorabilia.

Mickey Mantle, for example, is a widely known sports figure, so how is his signature any different from artwork? A signature of Mantle is basically an artistic doodle. No different than an Andy Warhol soup can. Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal. Mantle's signature on a glossy 8 x 10 is completely different than grandma's signature on a legal document. The former is a piece of art, while the latter is a negotiable instrument.

Is a reproduction only evident by the sales price? Is that "authentic" Babe Ruth signed ball you bought for $200 at the local antiques show, with and a nod and a wink from the store owner, a reproduction? Or were you a victim of a crime? Is it only a crime when you pay the full price of an authentic Ruth signature?
well put
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It's illegal to make or sell unlicensed reproductions of art if the artwork has copyrights/trademarks. It's illegal to sell 'reproductions' of Levi's jeans, Coach bags or NFL jerseys period-- whether or not you tell customers they aren't authentic. In fact, if you inform customers that those Coach bags aren't authentic, that's admission that you know you're selling counterfeits.
another very good point
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would estimate that he has sold over 20,000,000 dollars over the past 17 years. I know that Richard, Chris and I have been keeping track of his sales for a very long time. The FBI in Florida refused to go after him. They had a slam dunk.
the best point of all...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM
tdellis tdellis is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 53
Default He has a facebook page

So I know what he looks like
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 PM
scyrkin scyrkin is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16
Default

+1
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM
scyrkin scyrkin is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It's illegal to make or sell unlicensed reproductions of art if the artwork has copyrights/trademarks. It's illegal to sell 'reproductions' of Levi's jeans, Coach bags or NFL jerseys period-- whether or not you tell customers they aren't authentic. In fact, if you inform customers that those Coach bags aren't authentic, that's admission that you know you're selling counterfeits.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
scyrkin scyrkin is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF View Post
From 2016:
"Many of the Ali autographs, which were then authenticated by eBay sellers by GFA, come from South Florida dealer Tony Podsada, who runs a company called SCM.

"At one point, I had about 18,000 Ali autographs," Podsada said. "I have about 3,000 left, mostly on 4-by-6 and 5-by-7 photos."

Podsada said he obtained the Ali signatures from 1988 to 1993, when his business, My Favorite Players, was one of the heavyweights in the industry.

Podsada's items do not come with a certificate of authenticity. Disenchanted with the authentication business, Podsada said he merely offers buyers the assurance that it's a "decorative item only."

"I believe what I have is real, but I don't guarantee anything because I know too much," Podsada said.

Podsada will sell a 5-by-7 plaque with an Ali signature for $19.99 because he says that the leading authenticators, PSA/DNA and JSA, will fail his items simply because of the quantity he has. That makes it harder, he says, to make a greater margin."

Is it just a coincidence that most of the sellers of forgeries on ebay are from S. florida, which happens to be where TP is from?
All the Podsada Ali signed photos I've seen were printed on inkjet printer paper. The kind that came onto the market in August 1995 or later. A shade later than 1988-93.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 PM
thetruthisoutthere thetruthisoutthere is offline
Christopher Williams
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyrkin View Post
All the Podsada Ali signed photos I've seen were printed on inkjet printer paper. The kind that came onto the market in August 1995 or later. A shade later than 1988-93.
Yep.

I possess various "Mantle" signed photos from multiple "Florida" sellers and every one was produced on inkjet paper.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...1155035&page=1

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...-do-they-use-b
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:08 PM
david_l david_l is offline
David L.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 228
Default

I had read that article previously. Great research. Very well done.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Babe Ruth and Teammates Busted Breaking Prohibition Jobu Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 08-19-2019 09:21 AM
You guys have got to see this! Tony Podsada discussing Mickey Mantle. FUNNY Fuddjcal Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 32 05-11-2015 10:15 AM
1961 Fleer packs busted at the National jmoran19 Hockey / Basketball / Tennis Cards Forum 4 08-10-2011 01:05 PM
My pre-war cherry is busted. timber63401 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 08-21-2010 07:09 PM
Fake Joe Jackson story busted Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 05-13-2008 10:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


ebay GSB