NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Calling ALL Pacific NW Collectors!

Posted By: Russ Bright

Hey there, I know some of you have been reading the Seattle card show thread and shown interest - I tried to spearhead this thing a little last year and got some responses and this year it seems that there are a few people interested (Jim B, Robert A, Dylan and Andrew all from the other thread)

I have a few people from the NW that would come - I think it would be a good idea to see how many and where- I don't want this to turn into a NY dinner thread (though I'm sure there will eventually be a Seattle Dinner thread) -

How about... if you're interested, please respond to this post with your statement of interest, your e-mail and what you mainly collect. Also how often (weekly/bi-weekly/monthly). I'm sure if we could do a weekly thing it would be FUN, but not everyone could do that. Trying to make a drive to or FROM Portland every week can get expensive. We'll get a list compiled and see from there (Robert, if you could e-mail me if you'd be willing to help me with this)

In All honesty, I was talking about this with my Girlfriend last night and I wanted to sponsor/start a Pre-War Card Show - Monthly that would rotate between Seattle area and the Portland area - if anyone would be interested in setting a table or helping with the logistics (or has started a card show before?)

It's sad that the ONLY vintage show in Seattle is once a Year and had very little Pre-War - I think we can change that, get a couple sponsors, light advertising, we may be able to get more collectors interested... The other 2 card shows in the seattle area (Everett Mall and Totem Lake) have digressed into Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Yo fests...

so... my e-mail is ambrosia2@hotmail.com - please e-mail me if you're interested in helping organize a Card show (just brain storming right now, pipe dreaming, but if we can get enough help...) if you just want to make the Seattle/Pacific NW get together (or are just interested in Information) please post here with

name:
e-mail:
what you collect:
frequency preference:

i guess that's It, if I read this and sound like an Idiot I may have to edit.

Looking forward to seeing more of you Pacific NW collectors in the Future! we need to revitalize the Baseball Card collecting industry here!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Jim Blumenthal
james.blumenthal@oregonstate.edu
E cards, T206, T205, N28, N172, N162, etc.
Every 2-3 months
JimB

Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Russ,

Do you think a card meeting or trade group would work better?

As you know, there's not enough people who buy vintage cards to attend a vintage card show. It would be all of us with our tables selling to each other.

Rob

Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I live in Seattle and would would attend informal dinners or collector meetings in Seattle, and think it's a good idea. Bi-weekly or weekly is fine. If out of towners attend less frequently that is fine. For an informal get together you only need a few people anyway-- 15 people talking at once isn't necessarily a good thing. My email is linked above.

I have a collector friend in Seattle who would attend-- so my post counts for two.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

My guess is that a card meeting or trade group would work better as well.
JimB

Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Well discussion here is fine as well... I think a card meeting or a Trade group WOULD be better for now - there is no point in making a show for the 8 people selling to each other - As I said, brainstorming. I would LOVE to eventually (6 months, next year, 2 years) be ABLE to have a new card show that would cater to the Pre-War collectors - I've actually been kicking around the idea of starting a "shiny card" business - but i would want to keep my 2 interests separate - for the most part....

To start, we could have a once monthly meeting in Seattle and/or Portland (We could Both have monthly meetings and every other month, the portland collectors come up or Seattle collectors go down) - I would be willing (if it was on a saturday or friday night) to drive down to portland once a month as well - Dinner/trading/discussion/whatever - I think that if we can get together and gauge interest in this area (and as the collections and collectors grow) it will be more feasible to put on a card show.

Again, I wasn't planning on starting a card show in the near future, it was something that I would be willing to work on over the course of the next few months/year or so -

If it's just going to be me Robert and DavidCycleback in a room for the first meetings, so be it (lol, hopefully it gets bigger than that!)

Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

As you may know, there are two "Andrews" on the board located in the NW.

name: Andrew Adeboi
e-mail: opcyaz@hotmail.com
frequency preference: monthly in Portland Metro, quarterly if Seattle area

what you collect:
Portland PCL - all
Type set - one card for each year (19th century to 2007)...so that leaves it wide open
Califoria Berkeley football programs, related cards
1965 OPC
Holland/Dutch East Indies nonsports
N,R,T nonsports type set
Hot Wheels

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

I'd likely participate in quarterly meetings in the greater Seattle area.

Jeff Obermeyer
jobermeyer2@comcast.net
Areas of Interest: PCL, T cards, Greg Luzinski (seriously!)

Old 06-07-2007, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Dylan
bgspsa1@yahoo.com
Do you mean how often we'd be able to meet? I wouldnt want to go further south then seattle very often, but if its seattle or north id be open for monthly or twice a month.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I'd be able to make a few. Count me in-

Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Andrew Jerome
callmefugazi@yahoo.com

I live in the Seattle area. It would be fun to meet up with other NW vintage collectors. I know I met a few of you at the WSSCA show.

I have a wide range of collecting interests, mostly type cards, but I also collect Obaks, Zeenuts, bread cards, and anything of Willie Keeler.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I'm in the Eastside suburbs of Seattle and would be up for a meeting/discussion/trade session, etc. I collect a little bit of everything, and could probably meet every other month or so, my e-mail is jmbristow1@msn.com. This is my first post here by the way, but I probably ran into one or more of you at the recent show...

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Eastside suburbs eh? I'm in Kirkland behind Totem Lake mall

Russ Bright
ambrosia2@hotmail.com
As often as possible
working on a T205 Master set, collecting T206 rarebacks - sometimes i dabble in M116 and T212

Old 06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DaveW

I live in the Spokane area, so I am definitely in the NW. But, that's 5 hours away from Seattle, and 7 from Portland, so I would attend infrequently. But I'd really like to meet some of the other collectors in the area. I don't think there's much vintage in Spokane.

I really only collect T206 where I've got a near set (minus the biggest 7). I have a few T205 and T210 but have never looked at enlarging that collection.

Dave Whipple
dpwhip@aol.com

Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Hey Dave, welcome to the group - Spokane has a GREAT PCL history and with Teams in the T210 and T212 sets, you would be surprised how much Vintage baseball is there (there is an ebay seller from Ferndale that always seems to have T212 obaks, and that's pretty close...)

R

p.s. are you by any chance related to Greg Whipple? of M-Pact fame?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I'm in Newcastle.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I could attend a few every now and then. I live in Boise Idaho and it is about 5 1/2 hours to Portland, but I always make a few trips to Seattle every year to see my beloved Seattle Mariners so if you guys wanted to plan a Summer get-together around a Mariners game and hit Safeco after the meeting, or even have the get together at Safeco Field, I would absolutely be up for that!

Rhys Yeakley

Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Guys...You might want to try hooking up at the monthly Washington State Sports Collectors Association meetings. They have been meeting in / around Seattle on a monthly basis for 35 years. While everyone who attends is not necessarily interested in the same material, it is an opportunity to meet with other Northwest collectors. This will save you $$ in meeting space and enjoy the collecting infrastructure that is already in place...it runs $20 a year. Those with specialized / similar interests can hang out at the meetings together, or have a beer or two ,or ten , after the meetings end. Andrew Jerome (email linked in this post) is a regular attendee and can provide more info to those interested. As indicated above, a vintage ONLY show would be a MAJOR cost & most likely fail (as attempts did in the Bay Area for a Pre-1976 only show circuit several years ago). If anything, efforts should be made to increase the traditional "Club" show to twice per year in Seattle. The variety of material, both new and old, is an important factor in the success of the show, not only for the tableholders, but for the attendees as well. Rumor has it that the Saturday night "Dinners" can be fun for some people too....

Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Mark

Sorry I couldn't make it down this past weekend (but I still remember that 40% tip from that dinner a few years back....)

For others and even for Jeff O, I'm up the road in Vancouver BC, 2 hrs 10 minute drive. I'll be hosting again a SABR meeting in Vancouver on August 25, and anyone is welcome to attend.

Max

Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Russ, unless there's two cities called Ferndale in our state, Ferndale is north not east of Seattle(In high school I wrestled against Ferndale at their school) and would be about as long as a trip from Spokane as Seattle is.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Mark, This was spawned from the statement that there wasn't enough Pre-war at the show this last weekend. Some of us would like to get together more often and talk Prewar - not all of us collect 50's and 60's and the seemed to be a lot of the show (from what I heard) - I know you have a great collection and I am sorry I was unable to make it this year - we're looking for MORE of this - I know the WSSCA has been around forever, just looking for another option - again, the card show is a pipe dream that I would like to make a reality someday... like the Line in "The Prestige" - "Obsession is for the young" and I'm young enough to be obsessive about this still...

Dylan, you are correct, I meant Veradale, which is by Spokane... Ferndale is up by Lynden where my friend's wife is from, I must have gotten them confused...

Old 06-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

I certainly would be willing to talk to anyone interested in WSSCA. I think it would be great to have two WSSCA shows per year, especially since the Tacoma dome shows are no more. And yes, the Saturday night dinners are a lot of fun.

I have to agree with Mark regarding an all pre-1948 show. The rise of ebay and online auctions has made it extremely difficult to sustain ANY card show. It seems there has to be a mix of shiny, 1948-80, and pre-48 for a show to be successful (or even survive) these days. Even the National is largely supported by shiny stuff and autographs.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koochin

Have a new website up at
http://www.t206rarecards.com

I live in Vancouver, would come down to the Seattle area if a Vintage meeting got going.
This is my 28th year collecting/researching T206 cards. I also collect BB cards from
New Orleans area such as T215 Red Cross, also looking for some of the tougher Obaks like
Ten Million and Weaver.

I also have an extensive non-sports card collection from 1880s-1910s focusing on rare
ad backs, and military card sets such as N224 and T80.