NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Paul C.

Default New James O'Rourke statue unveiled in Bridgeport CT...Faye Vincent is keynote speaker

On August 27th at the Stadium at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport CT, a life-size statue of Hall of Famer James O'Rourke was unveiled. Faye Vincent gave the keynote address, and 50 O'Rourke relatives from around the country attended.
Lots of articles were written (google "James O'Rourke statue").

The photos and text of a blog from ratzenberger.net are copied below, including Faye Vincent (wearing O'Rourke commemorative pin) and the sculptor Susan Clinard.
http://linux.ratzenberger.net/my_blo...rator-orourke/

James “The Orator” O’Rourke Statue Unveiled

I attended the unveiling of the James O’Rourke statue yesterday at the Ballpark Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, CT. This tribute was a long time coming and well overdue. He was born in Bridgeport, CT and was a star of early baseball – one of the earliest 19th century inductees to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. He lived and practiced law in Bridgeport, where he later died. He is interred nearby in in St. Michael’s Cemetery in Stratford, CT.

O’Rourke’s house stood alone for years at Steelepointe hoping to be saved as a historic site. Sadly, it was demolished in 2009. My friend, Dave Wanta and I, fantasized about acquiring some sort of funding, to allow us to move the house, renovate it and establish a baseball museum with a sports bar. I did say fantasize – but it would have been great.

I arrived early, at 4:30, in order to take some photos and witness the unveiling. I mistakenly thought that the ceremony started at 5:00. It turned out that it really was scheduled to start at 5:30 although it didn’t start on time. While I was waiting, I noticed a car parked next to where the ceremony was to take place. In the car, was none other than Faye Vincent, the “Last Commissioner of Baseball” and keynote speaker. I had heard that he was going to give the keynote address and brought along my copy of his book, hoping that I might be able to get it signed. Little did I think that I would be afforded a one-on-one opportunity for a brief chat. The first thing that he asked me was if I had read the book, to which I replied, of course. I told him that baseball needs many more people like him involved in the game to set it right. That the current state of baseball is a mess. He smiled and said “it’s hard to fix but it’s also hard to hit a baseball”. He was, and still is, one of the great ambassadors of the game. The game truly misses him.

By the time that the ceremony got started, a nice-sized crowd had assembled. The ceremony included the usual speeches thanking those involved and speakers included: Mayor Bill Finch of Bridgeport; Bernie Crowley, President, First Hit, Inc; Michael Stone, Development Director, Bridgeport Landing Development, LLC; Susan Clinard, the sculptor; Rev Thomas Lynch and Rev Ernest Esposito; Michael Bielawa, Vice-president, First Hit, Inc and Keynote Speaker, Faye Vincent.

There were a couple of interesting quotes (I’ll paraphrase as best I can).

Susan Clinard, sculptor of the statue, said that she often “talked” with O’Rourke (the statue) as she was working. She said that she had “told” him that if any pigeons try to sit on his head and, … well, that’s what the bat’s for. Kudos to her for the statue. It is an incredible work of art that will be enjoyed by many for years to come.

Faye Vincent shared a story about another one of baseball’s “great orators“, Yogi Berra. Attending the funeral of Larry Doby (the American League’s first black player), Vincent had Yogi Berra seated to his left, Phil Rizzuto to Yogi’s left and Ralph Branca to Vincent’s right. In Vincent’s words, “a bunch of paisans”. Vincent said that Branca turned to Yogi and said that it was nice that that he was attending Doby’s funeral. Yogi responded with ”You know why I go to funerals? If I don’t go to yours, you won’t go to mine”. ”He said it,” Vincent said. ”I heard it.” Vincent then turned to Yogi and said, “Yogi, you’re doing it again”.

Finally, the statue was unveiled. I have to admit that I have seen many statues on my baseball quest but this one is definitely one of my favorites. In the words of one of my friends, Arthur Mayer, “ It is a great statue – people should at least drive by to see it. You feel the statue will actually move.” Mayor Finch said that if you look closely, you can even see it wink. The attention to detail is amazing and the artistic presentation is inspiring. Susan Clinard is a true artist and per Mayor Finch, “It’s good that we were able to get her to do this statue early in her career, we wouldn’t be able to afford her later.” The statue is a wonderful work of art that will inspire future generations of baseball fans and is a beautiful tribute to the legacy of James Henry O’Rourke.

If you’re in the area, just take a quick detour off of I-95 in Bridgeport and stop by the Ballpark at Harbor Yard and check it out. I promise that you will be impressed, if not moved.

For anyone unfamiliar with James “The Orator” O’Rourke, here’s a brief look at his life and career highlights:

■Born on September 1, 1850, Bridgeport, CT.
■Graduated from Yale Law School and practiced law in Bridgeport, earning the nickname “Orator Jim” because of his verbosity on the field, his intellect, and his degree—uncommon in a game at the time (even today).
■Legend has it that O’Rourke, a child of Irish immigrants, was asked to drop the “O’” from his last name when he signed a contract with Boston and its Protestant backers, but refused, saying “I would rather die than give up my father’s name. A million dollars would not tempt me.”
■Played for Boston, Providence, Buffalo, New York and Washington all of the National League (also the Player’s League with New York).
■On April 22, 1876, had the first base hit in National League history.
■Played on six pennant-winning clubs in seven years, from 1873-79.
■Career high single season batting average of .362 in 1877.
■Captured the National League batting title in 1884 by hitting .350.
■Helped New York to its first two league championships 1888 and 1889 .
■Made a final appearance in 1904 with the New York Giants under manager and friend John McGraw, becoming at age 54 the oldest player ever to appear in the National League and the oldest player to hit safely in a major league game.
■Returned to the minors as president of the Connecticut League, and in 1912 returned to the field to catch a complete minor league game at the age of 60.
■Later, as an executive, hired the first African American minor league baseball player in history.
■Elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1945.
■Died January 8, 1919 in Bridgeport, CT of pneumonia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg statue #1.jpg (18.8 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg statue #2.jpg (23.8 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg statue #3 - unveiling.jpg (21.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Faye Vincent, keynote speaker.jpg (14.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg statue sculptor, Susan Clinard.jpg (18.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default 19th Century Recognition

Paul:

Gotta love it.

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Nice! Definitely the only thing worth seeing in Bridgeport.....(im from new england)

Its sad, that once prominent towns, that housed Baseball Superstars are such Holes...I went through Sudlersville MD, the other day (Jimmie Foxx home) and saw the statue...Old Farm town..no money....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
Paul:

Gotta love it.

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM
David McDonald

A fine statue indeed of your grandpa's grandpa, Paul, and an interesting read. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Johnny S

Very cool story, I will definately check it out sometime, sounds like it was a very nice ceremony.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Paul C.

Here is a short video compilation from the ceremony.
Irish bagpipes played during the unveiling.
Exactly 100 years ago, during a 1910 interview with Tim Murnane, O'Rourke stated that:
"Baseball is for all creeds and nationalities".
This quote is prominently displayed on the statue's base.
Check out this 3 minute video:
Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Bruce Babcock

One of my favorite 19th century guys.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Mark

Nice story Paul - thanks for posting this.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Paul C.

A couple photos showing the inscriptions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Statue #4, cropped!.jpg (76.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Statue #1, cropped!.jpg (77.4 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Peter F

Default Thanks for Posting

I work near New Haven and will stop by Monday evening on my way home! And thanks for giving me a much better appreciation of an old time great.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Clayton

Thanks for posting this Paul, it was a great read. I was wondering if you knew the name of the first African-American minor league player he had hired?

Thanks-
Sincerely,Clayton
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Paul C.

According to Michael Bielawa's book "Bridgeport Baseball":

"Harry Herbert was the first African American to play for a professional Bridgeport team. He was born circa 1867 and grew up on State Street in Bridgeport. Herbert started his professional career in 1894 with Pawtucket, and progressive-minded James O'Rourke signed Herbert in 1895 to play with his Bridgeport Victors team. Over the course of his four-year professional career in Bridgeport, Herbert batted a solid .289"
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Clayton

Thanks for the info Paul- very cool indeed!!!

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Ken Wirt

Nice read. Thanks for posting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37. Jim O'Rourke.jpg (79.1 KB, 30 views)