NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Bob Lemke's Amazing Custom Cards

Bob Lemke, may he Rest In Peace, was indisputedly one of the most important figures in the hobby in the past 30 years. As discussed, his contributions through SCD, Baseball Cards Magazine and the Standard Catalog are profound. In retirement he added yet another feather to his cap by creating some of the coolest and most accurate custom cards ever created. His attention to the details is truly remarkable. From his meticulous use of age accurate images and autographs, to exceptional recreations of the backs of the cards (including appropriate cardboard texture, cartoons and facts), his custom cards in my opinion are the high water mark of the genre. Of course Bob not only created these cards virtually, but also physically by printing them and constructing them himself. Attached are a few of my favorites. He will be missed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3597.jpg (78.5 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3603.jpg (77.6 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3598.jpg (80.4 KB, 476 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

RIP Bob. A true hobby legend.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Nice tribute to Bob, may he rest in peace.

Bob really took custom cards to a new level with the backs, too. Reproducing an accurate front is hard enough, but making the reverse look right couldn't have been easy.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Ben North

Bob was an inspiration and great help to me when it comes to making custom pieces. After buying 2 of his Jellos boxes I couldn't just leave them a flat piece of paper. I had to cut them out and fold them into a box. Then I took it to another level by designing some of my own Jello and Wheaties boxes that actually contain jello and cereal. I know his help/advice was greatly appreciated in making custom pieces.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Tyranusberg---

Thanks for loading up some of Bob Lemke's custom card creations.

Mr. Lemke was an inspiration to me as well. When I wanted to "get off on the wild side" with the last chapter of my book, entitled, "Have You Ever Dreamed of Cards That Never Were?", Bob Lemke's passionate pursuit of making dream fantasy cards was my inspiration. With the help of a computer graphic artist who is also an artist in her own right, and a very helpful perfectionist print shop worker, I was able to "bring to life" 1954 Wilson Franks cards of Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle. Since I couldn't decide between the two photos I loved best for Jack and Mick, I decided to make separate variations, with different write-ups on their backsides. That was so much fun, and very fulfilling! I wish now I had written a letter to Mr. Lemke to thank him for his custom work and influence on me, as well as to offer him any of my fantasy cards, at a discount price. Oh well.

I sure love that 1967 Topps Sandy Koufax. That was one of Bob's cards I still wanted. Again---

Mr. Lemke sure knew what he was doing! ---Brian Powell
Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Details

I like the appropriate numbering of the cards. The B.C.G. (Bobbs Chewing Gum) is a clever touch too.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
I like the appropriate numbering of the cards. The B.C.G. (Bobbs Chewing Gum) is a clever touch too.
I have known for years about his striving to make sure his custom cards fit the given set to which it was extending; hence, the proper card number on the back. However, I was unaware of Mr. Lemke's brilliant touch of the B.C.G. (Bob's Chewing Gum). I am so impressed by that. I know Bob was NEVER trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, but even the most cynical would have to be amazed at such a simple, tasteful proof his card was indeed a homage to the Topps, but a clear-cut fantasy, and moreover, was his custom work. Truly, well done, Bob Lemke.

---Brian Powell
Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Incredible work! Here's more:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bob+...HS-oDZUQsAQIRQ
Old 01-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Rocky Rockwell

That last link blew me totally away! You've just got to smile when you see some of those cards..... kind of felt like I did when I was opening packs as a kid and seeing a star on a card Id never seen before.... so well done and so much variety and attention to detail! INCREDIBLE!!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
Agreed. What a dazzling array of well-done custom cards from Mr. Lemke. --Brian Powell
Old 01-20-2017, 04:45 PM
C@rl P@rk

That '71 Fisk is one I wish was in my collection...stunning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Available?

Does anyone know if they are still available and how to order them, if they are?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Does anyone know if they are still available and how to order them, if they are?
I sent an email to an address that he used on his blog site asking about that and I received this reply a few days later, "We are going to start working on requests in Feb. There is a limited amount available".
Old 01-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you very much.