NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Default JP Sports selling Derek Jeter Steiner letters

Not sure if any of you are on the JP Sports email list, but I just got an email blast today that included autographed Derek Jeter letters on Steiner Sports letterhead that essentially were authenticating game used items that were supposed to be sold by Steiner. They said blah blah blah "this item is game used and authentic" sincerely Derek Jeter.

I assume a former Steiner Sports employee took them at some point in the past, and just now sold them to JP Sports. JP is selling them for the autograph value. Unfortunately, I see a HUGE opportunity for someone to buy one of these letters and attach them to fake items, and then sell the fake items as game used Jeter items. Just seems too easy. I can't understand why JP thinks it is OK to sell these to the general public.

Big thumbs down in my opnion.

Last edited by jimjim; 06-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Matt

There is also a seller on ebay selling them. JP Sports were all for hats and batting gloves so while people could use them to certify fake items they arent very high end, but there were some very important letters sold on ebay. I think they should be cut and sold as a signature.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Jim M.arinari

A similar issue arose last year with Stan the Man COA's.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Steve Zarelli

I saw those Jeter letters and cringed.

They are so generic and there is no text in the letter indicating the accompanying item is also signed or has a hologram, so they could be matched with anything.

I have seen letters for sale that do mention the item is also signed or has a hologram, so at the very least those would require someone to produce a convincing forgery or hologram to complete the deception.

I hate the idea of cutting sigs, but maybe they could put a stamp on the back indicating the letter is no longer valid as a COA or something similar.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 AM
David Linardy

Default Jeter's

I agree with Steve here...

Steiner should be doing something to protect against someone coupling these coa's with another item... What's even more concerning is why these items are on the market?

Does steiner have Jeter sign them in bulk & then later combine them with an item?

Are there items that these were bundled with that were destroyed?

JPRS is selling them as cuts, and actually gave one away at there stratford show as a door prise a month or two ago (this one was professionally framed and matted of course)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I saw those Jeter letters and cringed.

They are so generic and there is no text in the letter indicating the accompanying item is also signed or has a hologram, so they could be matched with anything.

I have seen letters for sale that do mention the item is also signed or has a hologram, so at the very least those would require someone to produce a convincing forgery or hologram to complete the deception.

I hate the idea of cutting sigs, but maybe they could put a stamp on the back indicating the letter is no longer valid as a COA or something similar.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I just had a wonderful experience with Barry Valentino.

He's the Auction Director at Steiner Sports.

I will reach out to him right away and make him aware of this.

I also promised I would create a new thread and mention my great dealings with him this week during and after their Internet auction (where the Robinson glove sold for over 300,000).
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I just heard from Steiner Sports...

they are aware of this and they are working on this matter!