NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 07-20-2015, 02:37 PM
John

Default Bull Tosi Auction

Does the bidder with the 34 feedback who threw out a $733 bid towards the end bother anyone?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

To be fair though, if this was an AH and not eBay, there wouldn't be anything in the bidding history to look at.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Default Nope.

Not really, despite their having an 82% bidding history with PWCC in the past 30 days. But only because someone else topped them with the $800 bid.

They certainly could be a shill, but it was a moot point if they were... either way, I would have had to pay the same $810... a price I am pretty happy with.

I generally try to avoid the big consignors, because there is a ton of suspicious bidding activity with Probstein and PWCC, but for hard to find items I don't have that luxury.

Snorto~
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsnorto View Post
Not really, despite their having an 82% bidding history with PWCC in the past 30 days. But only because someone else topped them with the $800 bid.

They certainly could be a shill, but it was a moot point if they were... either way, I would have had to pay the same $810... a price I am pretty happy with.

I generally try to avoid the big consignors, because there is a ton of suspicious bidding activity with Probstein and PWCC, but for hard to find items I don't have that luxury.

Snorto~
Agreed. That is a good price for that card so worth it!

jeff
Old 07-26-2015, 07:48 PM
John

My thought is someone wanted to make sure it sold for at least 733. I agree its a moot point as the card is worth more - so you could think of 733 as the hidden reserve, but I don't like it.

Anyway, nice pick up! Can we switch things up and talk about the Tosi? I paid a premium for it over the other high numbers as well, but no one has really been able to offer me a satisfactory explanation as to why. Wasn't the Tosi printed in equal quantities with say.... the Isola (just to pick one)? Unless someone is hoarding them, why do they sell at such a premium? I think an Ernie Smith is similar condition (probably the centering wasn't as good as this Tosi though - this was an auction from a major consigner for a PSA 3 I'm thinking of) recently sold for less than 50% of that price.....

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Jeff P

The two lowest pop cards in the Chicle set are the Tosi and Kostka. No one is sure why. Perhaps since neither one was a star, they weren't as collectible as the others. Of course, both are SPs but are even a bit lower in total POP than the other SPs.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 07-27-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Jeff P

A bigger question to me is why Kostka is in both the Chicle set AND the premiums. Does this mean that if Chicle had produced 240 cards as originally planned, that everybody in the premium set would have been included? And would their images have been the same?

If so, we have an idea as to what some of the other Chicle cards would have looked like by looking at the premiums.

jeff
Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
John

Thanks Jeff - definitely a mystery about Kostka having both a card and a premium. One thing about him is that he was a hot prospect when the set was released. From the University of Minnesota, he was coming off a 1934 season that saw them win the the National Championship. Had there been a draft, he'd be considered a "bust", but it could be argued that given the popularity of college football, there would have been above average interest in his card at the time of release......

When I first looked at Tosi's career, I scratched my head as to why he was included in the set, but hindsight is 20/20. He was actually a starter at that time, but would soon be beat out by future hall of famer Wayne Millner.

Looking at just the PSA pop report, I actually see 93 Luke Johnsos cards and 92 Tosi cards - Nagurski has the most graded, but the other high numbers don't vary that much at least in my opinion. 10 or 12 cards does seem like a low number, but maybe I'm underestimating it because in percentage terms, we're probably talking about some cards having a 10 or more percent higher population than others.

Throwing the hoarding theory out the window, could it be that at one time (I think this is true) the Tosi did lag in the population report significantly which actually brought Tosi cards "out of the woodwork" to get graded. But,... the perception remained that Tosi was rare keeping the price up. I watch the auctions pretty closely and I haven't been seeing Kostka sell at a premium - a recent PSA 4 on eBAY sold for about what I would expect had it been Ernie Smith or Isola or whoever. And actually same goes for Masterson (last card). I'm only seeing Tosi sell at a premium recently.

Fun stuff to talk about it - if there is a perception driven Tosi bubble (just a theory I'm throwing out), I don't see signs of it going away....

Finally, I think another theory is that Tosi is a condition rarity. I think that argument would go something like: because there aren't enough high grade Tosi cards to go around, the high grade collectors bid up the lower grade Tosi's just to finish the set. This seems plausible, I'm just not sure if it's true. The Tosi isn't the first or last card, we don't know what the sheets looked like.... does Tosi usually have bad centering?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Jeff P

Tosi is lower that the others graded SGC so if you combine PSA and SGC I think he's very close to the lowest. It does look like some other SPs in the set have closed the gap since I last checked the POP a year ago or so as Tosi used to be the lowest by quite a few (total pop)!

It very well could be that its greater demand is due to less high grade ones available but I haven't checked that out. If true, this may mean Tosi was on the corner of the sheet.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 07-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

If you look at PSA 7 and 8 cards populations you see the pops get thin in the high number cards

Tosi is a pop 4'psa 8 as is Masterson. Nag is a pop 6 PSA 8, but a superstar obviously.

Very rare in high grade, which is where the big dollar collectors are
Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Very rare in high grade, which is where the big dollar collectors are
Hey Joe, thanks for jumping in - that's the heart of what I am wondering about.... The heavy hitters/big dollar collectors:

Scenario 1: The high grade Tosi cards aren't coming up, so collectors with high grade sets try to fill the slot with a lower grade card, thus bidding up the lower grade cards.

Scenario 2: The high grade collectors are patient enough to wait for one to come around that better fits the condition of the other cards in their set (I'd guess in grade PSA 6 or higher)

Scenario 2 always seemed more logical to me, which is why I'm puzzled to see the PSA 3 and PSA 4 cards sell so high. I would think the high grade collectors are ignoring those auctions, yet for whatever reason we consistently see PSA 3 and PSA 4 Tosi cards sell much higher than the other high numbers.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 08-01-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:06 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Hey Joe, thanks for jumping in - that's the heart of what I am wondering about.... The heavy hitters/big dollar collectors:

Scenario 1: The high grade Tosi cards aren't coming up, so collectors with high grade sets try to fill the slot with a lower grade card, thus bidding up the lower grade cards.

Scenario 2: The high grade collectors are patient enough to wait for one to come around that better fits the condition of the other cards in their set (I'd guess in grade PSA 6 or higher)

Scenario 2 always seemed more logical to me, which is why I'm puzzled to see the PSA 3 and PSA 4 cards sell so high. I would think the high grade collectors are ignoring those auctions, yet for whatever reason we consistently see PSA 3 and PSA 4 Tosi cards sell much higher than the other high numbers.
I think there is a third scenario that has to do with the popularity of the set in general. Looking at the registry, there are a LOT of people collecting the Chicle set (as compared to other pre-war football sets) and that means lots of people looking to purchase a Tosi. Low Pop cards force set collectors to lower their grade expectations and that drives up the prices of lower grade cards for those particular cards. Tosi and some of the other SPs in the set benefit from this demand.

jeff