NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default 1st Posthumous card released??? also, declared value question

Posted By: jeff

Greetings one and all. Don't post much, but love reading.
2 questions, 1 for curiosity, 1 for function.

1. Was reading the back of a t205 joss and saw it discussed his death. Got me curious about what the earliest such card was. Not simply one that came out after the player's death, but one that actually mentioned the death...one where the death was known prior to the printing. Do we go 19th century for that? Any ideas, thoughts, knowledge about that??

2. I'm a PSAer and have long wondered about the declared value of a card for submission. obviously, PSA's prices are through the roof, esp. after this last increase. what if i were to declare the value below what i believe it to be? obviously, this would be an insurance risk, BUT DOES THIS PRESENT A GRADING RISK?? IF A CARD IS BETWEEN A 6 AND 7, WILL THE FACT THAT IT WAS SUBMITTED AT A LOWER LEVEL FOR A LOWER FEE AFFECT WHICH WAY THAT CARD GETS GRADED?? HAS ANYONE FOUND THE DECLARED VALUE OF A CARD HAVING AN ACTUAL IMPACT ON THE GRADE ITSELF?? If I buy (what i believe to be) a $1200 card for $400, do i have to submit it as a $1200 card and pay out the wazoo, or can i get away with submitting at the $500 level?? ideas??
thanks for any thoughts on either of the above.
jeff

Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I personally wouldn't take the risk of decalring a lower value just to save a few bucks on grading. If it's lost your out big bucks. You could switch to SGC or Gai for lower rates.
I also have a question, I have a voucher for 6 free gradings from PSA because I joined their so called Club. Question is, Can I send in any standard size card regardless of value for free grading. In other words can I send in a VG/EX Red portrait Cobb along with lesser T206's.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

in response to your question:
not too long ago i was in the same boat hoping the same thing. apparently though, those 6 free submissions fall under the $500 declared value rule. i'm ALMOST 100% positive that's the case. oh, and thanks for your input on my question.
jeff

Old 05-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I wouldn't worry about grades corresponding to grades. I submitted a card estimated at $4500 and it came back "authentic" and I have also had cards estimated at exmt values on the form which came back 2s and 3s, so I don't think they even look at that or maybe they think I'm like those sellers on ebay who sell a card and declare "BV $750!!!" and the card is poor to fair and it is the nm value which is $750...

Old 05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Jerry -

I have submitted expensive cards along with common cards using the PSA membership vouchers so I think that as long as they are the same size (can't submit a t206 with a tallboy), cards of varying values can be submitted.

So . . . I would save up your expensive cards to submit with the voucher because it can save you bigger bucks that way!

Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

if you're worried about a few bucks on grading then you might be in the wrong hobby...unless your sending in 100's of cards at once...if you have a $900 card and are shipping it through the mail, go with the $900 value. as mentioned above dont risk it...i sometimes work hard for my money and will be damned if some "yahoo" working for the government (postal worker) is going to lose my card, if they lose it, they are paying for it!

also, i even insure cards up to the highest value for the dollar amount just because i can...if i have a $225 card, im insuring it for $299 since its the same amount as if i insure it for $225

Old 05-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

The T205 Joss is the first card that mentions a players death, but the Peck and Snyder trade card of James Creighton was issued after his death so that would probably be the first card to picture a player after his death.