NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post

The list grows completely cold, though, at 49 of 50 autographs. "Slim" Jim Robinson fought Ali in Ali's fourth pro bout. A Robinson autograph is like chasing a unicorn. No one is even really sure what happened to Robinson.

http://archive.boston.com/news/globe...e_mr_robinson/

http://espn.go.com/espn/eticket/stor.../jimmyrobinson
According to the two articles it was "Sweet Jimmy" Robinson, not "Slim" Jim Robinson. The way they talked in the articles, if it was "Slim Jim" the mystery would have been solved very quickly .
Old 06-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Tom Boblitt

I graduated from the same high school here in Louisville, KY.....Central High.....as Ali. Although about 25 years later. It was an inner city High School and I was bused there in the early 1980's busing experiment. I met a ton of great people there and have life-long friendships as a result.

Some people think Ali stood behind Islam as a way to get out of service in Vietnam as if he just adopted that religion for that quick reason. Ali held fast to his beliefs on Islam until the day he died, so if he did just hang on to it for that reason, it was a sly 50-60 year ploy...

While I don't necessarily agree with the decision on Vietnam, I can't possibly fathom the strength it would take to make that stand and then lose everything you worked so hard to get and have the case hanging over you for many years before it was decided. I would hope I would have the same convictions to stand on something if I felt so strongly....

Not many minds are gonna be changed about Ali even after his passing. I think those who wanted to change them already have and many, like Leon said, take his whole life into consideration when rationally looking at any person. I know as a Louisvillian, Kentuckian and American, I'm proud of Ali and all he stood for. Our city, state, country and world is ultimately a better place because of it.

If you are ever in Louisville, there's an Ali Museum on Main Street in walking distance from the Louisville Slugger Museum. It's a fantastic place and about a 2 hour diversion, well worth the time.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM

Default Louisville Ali Museum

Been there twice--I second the recommendation, a great place to go
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
According to the two articles it was "Sweet Jimmy" Robinson, not "Slim" Jim Robinson. The way they talked in the articles, if it was "Slim Jim" the mystery would have been solved very quickly .
Thanks for the correction. I remember how interesting I found the articles when I read them several years ago and wanted to share them with the board. I had a brain freeze and confused my Jim Robinsons.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Jimmy

May "Ali" rest in peace
Old 06-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
It's a bit of a stretch to say I knew Ali, but I knew him when I saw him.

In the early eighties during the "fitness" phase of my life, while jogging on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles not far from where Ali lived at the time, a convertible with the top down passed, a man in the back seat stood up and pointed in my direction and shouted "I want you", as if I was a fighter training to fight him. I waved and kept running. The man was definitely Ali.

Even in the best shape of my life, I was never able to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
If Ali was unable to resist Don King's suitcase full of $50,000, no way would he have been able to turn down a suitcase full of 50,000 Frank bucks.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
If I had to guess, I would think that no one who reponded to my post is a veteran. If you have any interest in the perspective of veterans like me, you may wish to read this..........

https://joebrunoonboxing.wordpress.c...is-not-a-hero/

If not, that's fine.
I am a US Army veteran. And you are dead wrong. He had more guts than guys facing bullets in a horribly unjust civil war that we knew we were losing almost from the get go. And only stubborn politicians forced the unneeded deaths of 50,000 Americans and maybe 1,000,000 Vietnamese.
You can be more of a patriot if you question your government than if you just blindly follow it.
You have to separate your government from your country.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-07-2016 at 03:22 PM.