NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Bill Cauley

Default Who Are the People On Here With the Vintage Shop in McLean, VA?

I know that there are a couple of people from this board I believe, or at least frequent it, that have a shop in McLean, VA with a good amount of vintage. I met one of the guys at a small show a few weeks ago and picked up a flyer for their shop but it got thrown out. I'm only looking for the name/address. Wife/son are out of town this weekend and I finally get to make it up there!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Mike DeNero

His name is Ken Cohen. He posts fairly regularly. If he doesn't respond to the thread, send me an email at MDsportscards@gmail.com and I will forward it to Ken, who is a friend if mine.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Val Kehl

The card shop is located at 6819 Elm Street, McLean VA 22101. It is not a store front - rather it is inside a small office/commercial building. The phone # is 703-PLA-BALL (or 703-752-2255). The shop is operated by Ken Cohen (a board member) and Ron Barrett (I don't think Ron is a board member) - both are great guys. I believe the shop is open from noon 'til 7 p.m., Tuesday thru Saturday.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Bill Cauley

Thanks for the info guys! I've been looking forward to getting to this place for a couple of months now but there is always SOMETHING that comes up on the weekend. I think I've had about 4 total flyers about this place and never know what I do with them.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 AM

I'm confused. Is this store the same location of AJ's card shop, where the late Jim Beck used to own ?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Val Kehl

Default Alan,

AJ's is located in Vienna, VA. The last I heard, AJ's was still in operation and owned by Beck's widow, but I haven't been by there in many months.
Val
Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 PM

They are too separate stores. AJs remains where it's always been in the trailer in the Marco Polo parking lot. Last year Jim's widow sold it to Gary who now runs it.

Ron and Ken's store is a couple miles north of AJs on Elm St in McLean just off 123 a couple blocks. I was at the store today and they had lots of vintage cards, some pennants, a few jerseys and other assorted stuff.

Andy
Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Bill Cauley

Once again, thanks guys. I did make it there today and I love the place. I'm usually lucky to go into a shop and see maybe 10 vintage cards. I ended up picking up a few post war vintage for some player card runs and will definitely be going back. Great people at that place and I couldn't be happier.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Danny Smith

I was there for the first time today. Great store . Picked up an e96 Tinker and had a good chat with the gang. Definitely worth a visit if you are local or just passing through.
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Thanks

Bill, it was nice meeting you yesterday and Danny, sorry I missed you. Thank you both for your business and I'm so glad that you enjoyed the shop. We're slowly trying to get our name out there. It's a labor of love for those of us involved and, first and foremost, we want it to be a nice place for vintage card hobbyists to hang out and pick up a card or two. To reiterate the thread I started on the shop some months ago, we have a nice selection of pre- and postwar baseball, vintage football and basketball, and some memorabilia. I believe we have a great deal more vintage than any other shop in the area.

We also stock some wax for those of you who like to bust open a pack now and then, and so your kids will have something of interest if you bring them, which we hope you will. I think you'll find that our wax prices are the lowest around.

At this point, it's not clear whether we will be able to remain viable. As we all know, there are prevailing headwinds against brick and mortar operations in the current state of the hobby. We are hopeful that the nice spring weather will get more folks out and about and into the store. Time will tell. So please get the word out. By the way, we are always looking to buy collections.

We rotate duty hours, but if anyone wants to come in I'll be happy to meet you there if I possibly can. It's always nice to meet or get together with a fellow Net54er. Just shoot me a PM or an email at kcohen6351@gmail.com and let me know when. At this time we are closed on Sundays but if a Sunday would be more convenient, especially for those of you in from out of town, I could meet you at the shop and open it up for you.

Thanks again,

Ken

PS - Mike, Val, and Andy - Thanks for posting.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Barry Sloate

Ken- I think we are all curious to see if a vintage baseball card shop can survive in this climate. You know the hobby really well, and I'm sure you make an extra effort to make customers feel at home. As long as you can keep fresh material in the store, you have a chance. But no question it will take some hard work and a little luck to survive.

I wish you the best in this endeavor.