NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Do you mean the way the combined the AFL and NFL players in the 69 set? The 67 set was AFL only.

I did love the 69 set as it featured both AFL and NFL stars but wondered why Jack Kemp was not in the set.
Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow I wrote of two sets in one sentence. 67 name scrunch, format, and coloring. 69 both leagues, format, and coloring.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
Yeah, sorry about that. Somehow I wrote of two sets in one sentence. 67 name scrunch, format, and coloring. 69 both leagues, format, and coloring.
No worries.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Dave Foster

Hadl should be in the HOF.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Hadl should be in the HOF.
As much as I liked John Hadl, I am not sure I agree. But, there are several other AFL stars who I believe have been slighted by the HOF including Hadl's teammate, Paul Lowe. Add Otis Taylor and Clem Daniels to the list and I am sure others should be included that I have failed to mention.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 AM

I would certainly not argue if John Hadl was in the HOF.

He joined the American Football League's San Diego Chargers in 1962. He shared quarterbacking duties until 1966, when he became San Diego's starting quarterback, and averaged over 3,000 yards and 23 touchdowns per (14-game) season for the next four years.

He was the American Football League's leading passer in both 1965 and 1968, and was a four-time AFL All-Star. In 1969, he was selected as the AFL All-Star Game's Most Valuable Player. The other half of the Chargers' potent passing/receiving tandem was Lance Alworth, the first American Football League player to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Many observers believe that Hadl, who threw most of the passes that Alworth received, also belongs in the Hall, and based on these numbers, he would be. Unfortunately, he spent most of the rest of his career being shuttled from one poorly run franchise to another; first as the solution to, then as the cause of, each team's given predicament.

Before the 1973 season, Hadl was traded to the Los Angeles Rams for defensive end Coy Bacon and running back Bob Thomas. Leading the Rams to the playoffs that year, he was named the National Football Conference Player of the Year. In the following season, after he was beaten out for the starting quarterback position by James Harris, he became the pivotal piece of a trade which is generally recognized as one of the worst in NFL history.[1] The Green Bay Packers, on the insistence of then Head Coach and General Manager Dan Devine, sent the Rams five draft picks; first and second round picks for 1975 and 1976, as well as a third round pick in 1975; for the services of Hadl, a rapidly aging 13 year veteran. He played a total of 22 games with the Packers and threw for 9 touchdowns and 29 interceptions behind a porous offensive line; the team posted a 7-15 record over this span. The trade caused irreparable harm to Hadl's legacy and hastened a decades long fall from glory for the Packer franchise. At the same time, it helped the Rams build a contender, culminating in their defeat by the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XIV. In later years, when asked for his thoughts on the infamous deal, Hadl himself expressed the surprise he felt, in 1974, at being sent to Green Bay: "I really didn't believe it... I didn't think anyone would be that desperate."

Despite his unfortunate tenure with Green Bay, and the sad conclusion to his career with an abysmal Houston franchise, Hadl finished with a starting record of 82–76–9 in his professional career. He holds the NFL record for the most tied games (9) by a starting quarterback. Hadl wore #21 for nearly his entire NFL career, aside from his first season with Green Bay when he briefly wore #12. He was the last regular starting quarterback to wear a uniform number greater than #19 before the NFL adopted a rigid uniform numbering system in 1973.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Erik

Great write up on Hadl there John. I did not realize the horrid trade Dan Devine did to get Hadl to the Packers. Thanks.

I would not mind him in the HOF at all. As I said, there are many other AFL stars who deserve the HOF that are being slighted.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
John

I really enjoy the Topps 1962 Football Set with the split pictures.
It's also a challenge to complete it in high grade with the black borders.

john