NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Default Vintage Pennants

This may be a "way out" question but hopefully someone can answer it because it is really something I know nothing about. I know that game used bats can sometimes be restored with cracked handles and deadwood, etc by some fantastic people. Is there any such process used for vintage pennants which a lot of times have the ends missing or the tassels gone as well. Thanks for any insight or maybe this is just something which is not possible.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Yes

There are thousands of low end pennants made from the same felt as sports related, if you have a good tailor they can mix and match accordingly. I do this occasionally for my own collection, as far as resale I sell as is. I buy up pennant lots all the time and use some for my own repairs. Its weird though as I would not buy a vintage pennant that has been repaired,,,,,
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I am sure that quality restoration like this is possible... But I have seen very few examples of good (professional) work that has been done. Most alterations are easily identifiable and are amateurish. Lots of times, people with try to fill holes by applying similar colored felt from the reverse side. Other times, you'll see splits in the felt that have been glued back together (the felt will be hard and no longer soft in these spots).

The most common alteration is on pennants where the tip was missing. People will often re-cut the borders to make the pennant come to a point. I have seen many discreet examples of this, but most are easy to spot. The edge of the felt will have a "sharper" cut than the unaltered remainder of the pennant.

One altreration that's tougher to spot is the replacement of the vertical binding strip on the left side. Lots of times, these strips are moth-eaten or have missing/cut-off tassels. It's possible to carefully remove this strip and its tassels from a different pennant, and re-apply it to the pennant in need of repair. This is actually a good solution in many cases... especially if the replacement portion is of the same vintage and proper colors. The only way to detect this type of restoration is to look for the second set of stitch holes on the pennant. If carefully done, this type of repair can be almost invisible.

Below is a great candidate for this procedure (from recent Lelands Auction). I was very tempted to bid, as I've wanted this version for some time. But the restoration would be time consuming and the would always bug me. IMO, it's far better to wait for one in its original state. It all depends on your preferences (and level of patience!)

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bklnpnnt.jpg (29.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Default Vintage Pennant

Thanks for the info. If either would like to email me--I would be happy to share the info I have on the pennant and then you maybe could tell me if it is something that should have some work done on it or left alone based on the value in its current condition. sicollector1954@comcast.net