NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pologrounds View Post
Today's pick. Black and Orange. Full size. Crisp. Phiti compliments of Mayseum
Interesting pennant, but are you sure?

I don't think the Giants used orange in the early 1900s. Those don't look like 1910's tassels to me either. I'm sure others here will know for sure.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

I don't think the Giants used orange in the early 1900s. Those don't look like 1910's tassels to me either. I'm sure others here will know for sure.
The Giants didn’t put orange into their color schemes until 1949. Prior to that, it was mostly red and blue.....and even purple.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:02 PM
Mike Reid

Not sure if I posted this recent pick up here.

ACA1058C-F4D1-4251-A7A2-D35B49E5498A.jpg
Old 03-11-2020, 01:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sweet pickup Mike!

I've never collected Basketball, but if I did, that one would be a "Top 5".
Old 03-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Giants pennant

Quote:

Waiting for Mr. Steinberg's assessment
Old 03-11-2020, 12:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pologrounds View Post
Waiting for Mr. Steinberg's assessment
Well unfortunately I have to agree that it's a significant leap of faith to definitively call this one a NY Giants Pennant. The Giants primary colors were red and blue throughout the teens. Please see the link below...

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ar&increment=9

While the pennant in question is very attractive, is unquestionably vintage, and has what we now consider to be traditional Giants' colors... it's unlikely that it's a Giants Pennant from the teens. Pennants like this were made as city souvenirs, and were also displayed at parades, conventions, and various local celebrations.

It's always a gamble with these generic types that list the City only (with no team name, mascot or logo present). I routinely shy away from these, although there are a few that are completely legit. Examples of Boston Red Sox and Braves embroidered pennants come to mind, as well as the Cincinnati Reds.

So with regard to the pennant in question, I'd give it a very small of being a Giants Pennant. While it is remotely possible, the colors are incorrect for the era. Furthermore, there are plenty of other Giants Team pennants from the teens that do include the team name or an identifiable mascot/logo.

Hope this is helpful,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early giants1.jpg (67.2 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg early giants2.jpg (77.1 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg early giants4.jpg (72.1 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg early giants7.jpg (66.4 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg early giants3.jpg (69.9 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg early giants6.jpg (76.2 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg early giants8.jpg (77.4 KB, 386 views)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Rob

Now you're just showing off, Mark!
Old 03-11-2020, 02:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just had to solidify my point, haha.

But seriously it is an important rule of thumb for vintage pennant collectors...

Be extremely cautious when considering a generic pennant purchase. Really do your homework, and let logic prevail over wishful thinking. I know that we (as collectors) automatically identify pennants with Baseball, or with Sports in general. But they were also quite popular at other non-sporting events back in the day.

If I saw an image of a generic pennant in a vintage photo, being waved in the stands, I'd feel comfortable buying it. But anything less is a big leap of faith, without proper or convincing provenance.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-11-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:17 PM
Marc

Although I'm a Giants fan, I really like that Pirates pennant, Mark. That is super cool.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Default PSA Pennant Steinberg Authentication

Ready to invest.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Vintage College Pennant Pickup

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen any vintage pennants, but picked up these college pennants, today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FDAE0211-9719-446F-81E7-8CD677922E76.jpg (17.7 KB, 366 views)
Old 03-16-2020, 05:05 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Just had to solidify my point, haha.

But seriously it is an important rule of thumb for vintage pennant collectors...

Be extremely cautious when considering a generic pennant purchase. Really do your homework, and let logic prevail over wishful thinking. I know that we (as collectors) automatically identify pennants with Baseball, or with Sports in general. But they were also quite popular at other non-sporting events back in the day.

If I saw an image of a generic pennant in a vintage photo, being waved in the stands, I'd feel comfortable buying it. But anything less is a big leap of faith, without proper or convincing provenance.
Mark, what are your thoughts about these two? Indians, I’m pretty sure. Tacoma Tigers? They seem like a similar style, and I’ve seen an old NY Giants pennant with nine players’ profiles ...

(The Tacoma pennant does have a weird spine ... extends beyond the pennant on top and bottom, no tassels)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02B3C7D1-E3DD-4D42-9A11-1A10CC2543EA.jpg (20.5 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 03-16-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Both undoubtedly baseball. Cleveland is obvious... nine Indians to represent nine men on the field. Plus, Wanstall (the artist) was a long-time employee of the team. I have an article on him buried somewhere, but would really have to dig to find it.

Tacoma Tigers is a gorgeous oversized pennant as well. I know a few prominent PCL collectors that own this pennant and will attest to its affiliation with the baseball team. It’s been sold in major sports auctions as such over the years, as well.

The generic pennants that concern me are the ones with just a city name and no team name, emblem or mascot. So no worries or doubts with those two, Greg!
Old 03-17-2020, 08:44 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

To echo what Mark said, they are both baseball. I wasn’t aware of the artist association, but too obvious with the 9 individuals. I thought somewhere there was a game photo reference for the Tacoma pennant. I may be wrong, but someone might chime in.

I assume the Giants profile pennant you are referencing is the early 20’s World Series version with the matching Yankees? Those two are awesome pennants and I haven’t seen those surface since the Halper auction. I think there is another example of the Giants one in much lesser condition.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
To echo what Mark said, they are both baseball. I wasn’t aware of the artist association, but too obvious with the 9 individuals. I thought somewhere there was a game photo reference for the Tacoma pennant. I may be wrong, but someone might chime in.

I assume the Giants profile pennant you are referencing is the early 20’s World Series version with the matching Yankees? Those two are awesome pennants and I haven’t seen those surface since the Halper auction. I think there is another example of the Giants one in much lesser condition.
Thanks guys ... yes I forgot about the matching Yankees pennant. Beauties!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:44 AM

Now with all this down time ... teaching from home, baseball season cancelled ... maybe it’s time to put together a pennant-by-design archive, at least with what I have. Not a price guide but a gallery.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Now with all this down time ... teaching from home, baseball season cancelled ... maybe it’s time to put together a pennant-by-design archive, at least with what I have. Not a price guide but a gallery.
Yes!

Get on it!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:53 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just a heads-up for pennant collectors (Football in particular...)

If you are previewing the upcoming Heritage Auction, you will want to pay particular attention to their "rare" Steelers Pennant....

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football/c...osition=1795|0

You will want to steer clear, unless you collect High School Pennants, as this one is clearly from Fontana High School in CA. The Pittsburgh Steelers NEVER used this logo...

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Fontana_High_School

Furthermore, Heritage's Consignor knowingly consigned this pennant to Heritage, as a High School Pennant. Please note that same exact pennant appeared in a prior ITPC Auction with the proper disclaimer in bold red font. Same exact flaw under the "S" in Steelers... same exact pennant (see link below...)

http://www.insidetheparkcollectibles...-lot16657.aspx

So the consignor "conveniently" failed to mention to Heritage that the pennant is from Fontana HS. Instead of a pre-auction estimate of $600, that number should be roughly $25. Please beware of the sleaze within the hobby, as not all of it resides on the Card side.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-19-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:56 PM
Rob

Thank you, Mark!

Who’s being shady, here? Heritage, the consignor or both?
Old 03-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Mark,
There you go making sense again. How dare you sir. Now that it’s appeared in a “national” auction they’ll be people referring to this in the future. “Rare” don’t ya know.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:14 PM
Rob

Without a doubt not the Pittsburgh Steelers but people will believe what they want...or what an auction house tells them. Like the Packers pennant that ended on eBay today. I wouldn't have risked $50 on it, but it sells for $485.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Thank you, Mark!

Who’s being shady, here? Heritage, the consignor or both?
Baseball Rob:
I'd put this one more upon the consignor. But Heritage certainly failed to do its due diligence, in taking the consignor's word as the gospel. And they should've spared the accolades of how rare it is without really knowing (not to mention their crazy $600 pre-auction estimate).

So although the consignor knew what it is (or more appropriately isn't), Heritage bears some of the responsibility. Let's call it 75% Consignor / 25% Heritage. Just my opinion...

Football Rob:
Completely agree... No way that's a Green Bay Packers Pennant. It's likely that a combination of wishful thinking and the usual Packer fanaticism both contributed to that goofy price realized. Like the aforementioned Steelers, I'd bet it's a misidentified High School Pennant.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Rob

Mark - you said the consignor consigned it to Heritage, as a high school pennant. Your syntax is normally impeccable, but this time it threw me.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:12 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Without a doubt not the Pittsburgh Steelers but people will believe what they want...or what an auction house tells them. Like the Packers pennant that ended on eBay today. I wouldn't have risked $50 on it, but it sells for $485.
Saw that one too. Early and one of a kind. Good stuff.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Mark - you said the consignor consigned it to Heritage, as a high school pennant. Your syntax is normally impeccable, but this time it threw me.
Oh sorry... the more worked up I get, the worse my grammar gets. At least that's the excuse I are going with.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post

I’d love to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 02:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same here... sooner the better. It's getting boring self-isolating and watching old movies. Would much rather watch a vintage pennant presentation... especially if its from Greg's collection!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Same here... sooner the better. It's getting boring self-isolating and watching old movies. Would much rather watch a vintage pennant presentation... especially if its from Greg's collection!
Definitely going to get on it ... promise!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Rob

What the......?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ORI...rdt=true&rt=nc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (77.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 01:50 PM
Rob

Was watching that one. Winning bidder is a new member with 0 feedback and 100% bid activity with this seller. Me thinks somebody doth sniped too much.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:54 PM
Erik

Default Hey, pennant guys

Ah, misunderstood at first... sounds sketchy

Last edited by erikc21; 03-23-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:01 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Could it be that this is a scarce pennant and two or more guys wanted it very badly and just got caught up in the moment. Stir crazy from being quarantined and alcohol can led to very bad decisions. So I’ve been told.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 03-23-2020, 02:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Could it be that this is a scarce pennant and two or more guys wanted it very badly and just got caught up in the moment. Stir crazy from being quarantined and alcohol can led to very bad decisions. So I’ve been told.
It’s fairly rare. I paid $87, shipped, for mine.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Marc

I bid on this early just to make sure I did not forget about it and then saw my bid quickly passed by someone with a bunch of small incremental bids and 100% with the seller. So, I just stopped. Even though I knew funny stuff was going on with this one, $949 is just insane and can't really have involved a pennant person.

I'm really looking for the Orange and Black version of this pennant. Do you have that one Rob?

Last edited by bocca001; 03-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:07 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
It’s fairly rare. I paid $87, shipped, for mine.
OK, I’d say you got a really good deal, and someone really overpaid on this latest one.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
OK, I’d say you got a really good deal, and someone really overpaid on this latest one.
Yes... the actual value is about midway between what Rob paid and the eBay price (whether real, fake or otherwise). What a steal, Rob!
Old 03-23-2020, 06:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I bid on this early just to make sure I did not forget about it and then saw my bid quickly passed by someone with a bunch of small incremental bids and 100% with the seller. So, I just stopped. Even though I knew funny stuff was going on with this one, $949 is just insane and can't really have involved a pennant person.

I'm really looking for the Orange and Black version of this pennant. Do you have that one Rob?
I’ve got it in those colors. Rarer than the blue, for some reason. Just drop me a PM if interested, Marc. I don’t really want to “socially distance” myself from it, but could use some income right now. My gig has evaporated for the time-being, so I can offer it up at a good price, if you’re interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82CB5825-E690-47D8-9A31-FF4B4E90707D.jpg (12.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 289EDF28-BBB1-4654-B563-1961BAB9ABD0.jpg (13.3 KB, 192 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:10 PM
Rob

Quote:

Yes, I do. I hope you and Mark can come to a deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2816.jpg (73.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are nice pennants. Much nicer than the blue version. I did want to comment about the orange color as someone mentioned them not using orange prior to late 40’s, but this is definitely earlier than late 40’s. I do think that other pennant was just a city pennant, but the late 40’s date kind of threw me for color. Wondering why you think that late?

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 03-23-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Those are nice pennants. Much nicer than the blue version. I did want to comment about the orange color as someone mentioned them not using orange prior to late 40’s, but this is definitely earlier than late 40’s. I do think that other pennant was just a city pennant, but the late 40’s date kind of threw me for color. Wondering why you think that late?
The Giants didn’t have orange in their uniforms until 1949.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 AM
Marc

Thanks, Mark. I just sent you an e-mail.

Rob- your version sure does have a lot of tassels (or is that the blue version underneath?).

Last edited by bocca001; 03-24-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:11 AM
Mike Dugan

I enjoy checking this thread so much, great information, wonderful photos just great stuff!

No one commented but Joe Hunter those college pennants are really neat!
Old 03-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Rob

Quote:
Thanks, Mark. I just sent you an e-mail.

Rob- your version sure does have a lot of tassels (or is that the blue version underneath?).
Not the blue version, but some other 3/4 NYG pennant.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Marc

Mini pennant just out of quarantine. Astros stuff without the Astrodome can be tricky to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astros mini.jpg (77.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Rob

Picked up a couple not too thrilling, top and bottom. Any guesses who did the HOF pennant? It can't be any older than 1973, because Clemente is on it. I always liked the "Giant with bat," so I picked up the 20 incher. Any idea what the "tassels" were for? I'm thinking maybe it was part of one of those NL "strings" but don't remember seeing a string with this design...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-03-25 01.08.02.jpg (76.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-03-25 01.07.39.jpg (75.2 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 03-25-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Picked up a couple not too thrilling, top and bottom. Any guesses who did the HOF pennant? It can't be any older than 1973, because Clemente is on it. I always liked the "Giant with bat," so I picked up the 20 incher. Any idea what the "tassels" were for? I'm thinking maye it was part of one of those NL "strings" but don't remember seeing a string with this design...
That HOF pennant was updated over time as new players were added to the Hall. I believe the first one came out in the 1950s or early 60s. Someone on here probably has an early one.

I think the tassels were just a style used for a time. This is from a dated 1935 pennant with the same type of tassels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACFD0B9F-ABBC-49E8-878E-4BFC09300834.jpg (11.2 KB, 138 views)

Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Rob,
On those HOF pennants, they generally put the newest guys near the middle of the pennant. Obviously you have it narrowed down pretty good with Clemente being on there.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
That HOF pennant was updated over time as new players were added to the Hall. I believe the first one came out in the 1950s or early 60s. Someone on here probably has an early one.
I’d like to see an early one!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Rob

Here is one...Description noted 1950s. I'm sure someone here can be more specific.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOF Pennant.jpg (42.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:04 PM
Rob

What was the logic behind who was pictured on the pennant?