NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Scott Russell

Default Confused, this is one for the sleuths.

So I'm in the process of listing a handful of 1927 E126's on ebay right now (subtle plug, right?) One of them makes no sense. ET Cox is Ernie Cox who pitched one inning in his Major League career, for the White Sox. That in and of itself makes it pretty weird that he has a card. In fact I would guess it would put him pretty heavily into the running for shortest Major league career represented on a pre-war Major league card. But that's NOT the weird part.

The aforementioned inning was in 1922!!!, and he has no stats, major or minor league, after that. At least not on baseballreference.com. So, is the collecting world 100% on the date of the e127 set? I see no other evidence of uncertainty. Why on earth, in a 60 card set, did they honor a guy who pitched 1 inning, five years earlier???!!!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-25-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Robert J. Miller

Wow. Very Interesting Scott.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Robert J. Miller

I have an autograph of Jim Marquis who played with Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth for 4 days but only 2 games in 1925. I may need to see if he has a card issued anywhere.
Robert
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Matthew Glidden

Net54 did discuss E.T. Cox (and if he was someone else) earlier, though with largely the same conclusions: it could well show E.T. Cox five years after his single game and the 1927 date is correct based on Cobb and Speaker's team changes.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65105

Many E126s use photos from the early 1920s, when E.T. Cox played his one game. The Chicago White Sox used lots of pitchers that year (relative to the rest of the league) and many of their pitchers made a handful of appearances. I think Chicago tried to save money on their pitching contracts or travel budget by signing several spot-duty pitchers that year, which led to E.T. Cox getting a relief opportunity and an in-uniform photo. My guess: his photo was re-used years later in E126 without recognition that he'd long since disappeared from the game.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.

Last edited by Spike; 02-25-2017 at 11:02 PM.