NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Seal Improvement

I was told that the holders would be changed but would still fit together/stack on with the old ones. I think its just a design change to improve how they "sandwich" when sealed.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
I was told that the holders would be changed but would still fit together/stack on with the old ones. I think its just a design change to improve how they "sandwich" when sealed.
That would be great if they can do this!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

^^^^This^^^^ If the new holders fit together and are relatively close in size, I can make that work with my collection.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Since it's a long thread, new holders in the future was mentioned in post #102...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
I had an opportunity to check out the new changes today at the showroom setup. I was also told by a representative that new holders are coming “soon", and that this is phase 1 of 3 of things to expect.

Last edited by CW; 08-11-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Pete Sycks

I haven't read all of the responses, but isn't the SGC 9.5 confusing? It's not Gem Mint like BVG, but still not a PSA 9 or PSA 10. How do you gauge price on it? I like how the new cases look though.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's

Last edited by sycks22; 08-15-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I haven't read all of the responses, but isn't the SGC 9.5 confusing? It's not Gem Mint like BVG, but still not a PSA 9 or PSA 10. How do you gauge price on it? I like how the new cases look though.
Doesn’t it say Gem (eg Gem Mint)? I think it is equivalent to Beckett 9.5
Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

No, they invented a new Mint+ grade.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Ok, SO...

I submitted 4 cards and they were received last Wednesday. Usually by now I would have received the email which tells you it's been put into their system, invoice #, etc. However I have not received an email. So I called SGC yesterday and spoke to a nice gentleman who explained that they are currently transitioning to their new website/database so I may not receive an email. Has anyone else submitted recently and did you receive an email? I THINK I was led to believe my cards may be graded and shipped to my doorstep without any sort of update along the way. Perhaps when they are shipped to me I'll get an email? I'm not really sure and it is slightly worrisome.

Anyone else in this situation?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Ok, SO...

I submitted 4 cards and they were received last Wednesday. Usually by now I would have received the email which tells you it's been put into their system, invoice #, etc. However I have not received an email. So I called SGC yesterday and spoke to a nice gentleman who explained that they are currently transitioning to their new website/database so I may not receive an email. Has anyone else submitted recently and did you receive an email? I THINK I was led to believe my cards may be graded and shipped to my doorstep without any sort of update along the way. Perhaps when they are shipped to me I'll get an email? I'm not really sure and it is slightly worrisome.

Anyone else in this situation?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
But this one goes to 11.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Nice card!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Busy times for SGC. Looks like they are nearing completion of transitioning everything to their new site. Message posted on their old website.

Please Note: We are moving to our new website at www.gosgc.com. You can use your current SGC username and password to log into your account there. Please do not be alarmed if you don't immediately see your pending submissions on the new website. We are currently transitioning all data to the new platform, and your submission details should be updated shortly. Additionally, we are running at a slight delay in turnaround time due to higher than average submission volume. Please feel free to email Collector Support at support@gosgc.com with any additional questions. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
not rocket science....can always buy the card not the holder

You would think its a high end 9....... .5's for PSA usually sell for about 30% more generally than the base grades.....
Old 08-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I like the new flips much better; not even close.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I like the new flips much better; not even close.

Agreed! But those cards...yuk!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Scott Russell

don't like the 2 hexagons for grades like VG/EX, other than that they don't bother me one way or the other.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Agreed on flips, black on black just naturally looks so much nicer than green on black.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Agreed on flips, black on black just naturally looks so much nicer than green on black.
yeah l like black on black too.......i guess SGC are now the NFL Raiders of holders..
Old 08-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Does anyone think that SGC will become a publicity traded company like Collectors Universe?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:21 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Does anyone think that SGC will become a publicity traded company like Collectors Universe?
nope!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Grading..

Since there is such a vast range on cards graded 1’s..I would like to have seen someone (preferably SGC) introduce a (.5) Grade.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnichols View Post
They had a small booth where you could submit cards for grading, but they were not grading ANY cards at the show itself like PSA or BGS were. It was basically a submission center and they were going to take whatever you submitted there at the show back to FL to grade and then ship back to you.

That is a HUGE failure on their part and they looked absolutely pathetic in comparison.
Agree completely that their performance at the National was a joke, and I emailed them a message to that effect. They had 3 chairs set up and the customer was expected to imput his submissions into a computer in front of each chair himself, thereby doing SGC's work for them. This still might have worked had I not encountered the 3 seats each occupied by collectors/dealers each having top holders with 100-200 cards to be submitted. Like I was going to just stand there for an hour and a half to two hours instead of seeking out what I was looking to add to my collection at the show! Pathetic is too nice a word for that crap! Having run a successful law practice for more than 20 years, I can't think of a better way to lose business than placing the small interests of the business operator above the more significant interests of the client/customer. Whenever I have a choice from now on, it's PSA for me, and continuing searches on ebay will specify PSA.

Best to all and to each his own,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-26-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Chase

Prior to joining here I was told this was a pro SGC board. This post and other recent ones certainly have had a different ring than that. I collect cards in both holders. Think SGC probably does a better job overall or at least seems more consistent. I like the changes they are trying to implement and count me in as one of the few who likes the look of the new label. Hoping their growing pains do not adversely impact their business. Not sure it is good for any collector that PSA increase their market share.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Prior to joining here I was told this was a pro SGC board. This post and other recent ones certainly have had a different ring than that. I collect cards in both holders. Think SGC probably does a better job overall or at least seems more consistent. I like the changes they are trying to implement and count me in as one of the few who likes the look of the new label. Hoping their growing pains do not adversely impact their business. Not sure it is good for any collector that PSA increase their market share.
i wouldnt say its a pro or against PSA SGC board. I think the board goes along the lines of the general population of the genre of cards that have greatest market share with SGC...so does the board member in that same genre...such as certain pre war cards...i dont think the preferences are any different on the board anywhere else. Its all about what is being collected.

I agree with you that a monopoly is not good for the hobby
Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i wouldnt say its a pro or against PSA SGC board. I think the board goes along the lines of the general population of the genre of cards that have greatest market share with SGC...so does the board member in that same genre...such as certain pre war cards...i dont think the preferences are any different on the board anywhere else. Its all about what is being collected.

I agree with you that a monopoly is not good for the hobby
Well this forum does seem to have a nice blend which cannot be said for the PSA forums which is very pro PSA, for the obvious reasons.

Not sure PSA feels they have competition but the hobby would be worse off without grading options.