NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Riddle me this:
Regarding the glow light test. Based upon this pic:

would you say there are 4 glow back variations?

Also, for you 1991 topps variation collectors - do you all consider the pink # variation a true collectible variation?

Also, does anyone out there have either of the 2 cansecos (regular and all star versions) that don't glow ... or glow and have the lighter cardboard background?
I suppose you could call that four different. I count the dark logo sort of as a set of its own.
I can't really tell if you've spotted the other back that reacts to UV. The ones I have are
Totally non-reactive both cardstock and ink.
Ink does not react cardboard reacts slightly white.
Ink reacts bright orange cardboard does not.
Ink reacts bright orange cardboard reacts slightly white.
Ink reacts a very dark red cardboard does not react.

The brightness of the reaction may be a bit variable. It gets hard to tell unless you're using enough UV to rule out variable distance and angle from the light source.

The reactive cardboard is also tricky as certain things can make it do that. Some stains, and fiber transfer from a reactive white paper like some envelopes or printer paper. I believe it's for real as I've picked up a handful from different sources, but at least one of those had water damage that wasn't easily visible.

And if you are please take precautions. Overexposure to UV can make some people temporaily ill - nausea etc, And UV is also bad for the skin and eyes. So depending on the power and wavelength maybe even gloves and a pair of the special "sunglasses" they use in some labs. (UV at a cartain wavelength and power is used to sterilize some things)

I also think the pink numbers are a real variety rather than an overinking or dry plate like the 61s

Steve B
Old 11-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Ben Gregory
Ben Gre,gory

Here are some scans of the wrong-backs I mentioned. Wrong-background is a better term. I've heard them mentioned before, but seen no examples except the one on ebay (Mike Morgan I believe). Get to hunting! (sorry, COMC has been checked)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005-003.jpg (78.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005-004.jpg (77.7 KB, 179 views)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

I have a couple of the 91 topps with the manager back on a players card or players back on a managers card. I'm still not sure if it's because they got the sheet layout wrong or just printed the blue part on the wrong reddish sheets. Either would probably be hard to find since it's a pretty major mistake.

On the Azocar, can you make out the number in the reddish ink part behind the blue?

And I wonder if we could get those into any of the player registries

Steve B
Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I have a couple of the 91 topps with the manager back on a players card or players back on a managers card. I'm still not sure if it's because they got the sheet layout wrong or just printed the blue part on the wrong reddish sheets. Either would probably be hard to find since it's a pretty major mistake.

On the Azocar, can you make out the number in the reddish ink part behind the blue?

And I wonder if we could get those into any of the player registries

Steve B
If you have a Canseco version of this, I'd be interested!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

No Canseco for sure in my batch.

You can check to see if it's even possible if the error is a partial wrong back.
Check the sheet layouts and see if Canseco is in the same place as any of the manager cards (Or other cards, there should be players with checklist backs etc too. )

I'll have to check a couple places and see if I have any Canseco oddities around.

Steve B
Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
No Canseco for sure in my batch.

You can check to see if it's even possible if the error is a partial wrong back.
Check the sheet layouts and see if Canseco is in the same place as any of the manager cards (Or other cards, there should be players with checklist backs etc too. )

I'll have to check a couple places and see if I have any Canseco oddities around.

Steve B
Cool thanks! I don't think I'm quite grasping the part about checking if it is even possible. Would you mind telling me more about how to go about this?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Cool thanks! I don't think I'm quite grasping the part about checking if it is even possible. Would you mind telling me more about how to go about this?
You need to find some pictures of full sheets and look to see where Jose is on the sheet compared to a manager card on another sheet. If they fall in the same location it is possible.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
You need to find some pictures of full sheets and look to see where Jose is on the sheet compared to a manager card on another sheet. If they fall in the same location it is possible.
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 AM

I think I have missed a Tettlton error/variation in all the various lists - what is the error?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I think I have missed a Tettlton error/variation in all the various lists - what is the error?
The top border/photo frame can be found in yellow & gray or black.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 11-11-2015, 12:56 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
The top border/photo frame can be found in yellow & gray or black.
So the border vars are: Tettleton top border, Seizter top border, Ventura left border, and Segui right border?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM

Thanks, didn't see that on any of the error webpages.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default 91 Topps Tettleton

Here is the series of variations on this card that I have accumulated. The lighter the black ink gets, the more pronounced the yellow on the top border is. The difference in the first three cards is more evident in hand.

Last edited by 4reals; 11-13-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Here are some stat box back variations I found in a cello box. I even saw one through a pack so I left it unopened. The layout is what you would find on the back of a manager card.

There seemed to be a little interest in the these STAT BOX BACK variations so I did a little searching and put together a list of examples that have been confirmed.

#150 - Cal Ripken Jr. - Sheet D
#294 - Mike Moore (pictured in the cello pack) - Sheet D
#534 - Mike Jackson - Sheet D
#573 - Rich Rodriguez - Sheet C
#659 - Oscar Azocar - Sheet C
#759 - Bobby Cox (Mgr.) - Sheet C
#778 - Danny Gladden - Sheet D

If anyone has others please let me know and I'll add it to this list. It appears all come from sheets C & D. If anyone has any full sheets they should start with those two. If any STAT BOX BACK variations are found on other sheets that would be a cool find.

SIDE NOTE - All 12 of mine are GLOW BACKS

Last edited by 4reals; 11-13-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Yeah, so, I get a little compulsive on this stuff and once I realized all stat back box variations were only from sheets C&D I set out to determine how many cards on each sheet had variations. It would have to be an even number. If there were four on one sheet there would be four on another. I found the attached file of sheet C doing a simple google images search. The sheet revealed five manager cards #s 321, 639, 759, 81, and 109. I also know from my own collection that #s 150 & 573 on sheet C have variations and a fellow collector showed a pic of #659 from sheet C with the variation. That makes 8 cards total. That would mean there should be 8 on sheet D. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an image of sheet D to compare. Hypothetically, all C-sheet managers should have variations, unless there is a manager in the same location on sheet D meaning the layouts would be a wash and no variation would exist. Of the 8 C-sheet possibilities, only two are unconfirmed with no pictured examples, #s 81 & 109.

I looked up all the manager cards on COMC and found five manager cards with sheet D codes. They are #s 351, 231, 519, 261, and 291. That would mean there are at least three others that aren't managers. All three are confirmed in my collection with #s 778, 534, and 294. There's the 8 on the D-sheet.

Now I needed to match them up without having a D sheet image to look at. Impossible? Well, I realized if you look closely at the numbers on the back of player cards you can see an overprint of the shadow where the other card's number got printed on it. It was tough to make them out but I found that...
#150 (Cal Ripken) has #351 (Joe Torre) printed on it.
#778 (Danny Gladden) has #321 (Bob Rodgers) printed on it.
#573 (Rich Rodriguez) has #231 (Doug Rader) printed on it.
#534 (Mike Jackson) has #639 (Frank Robinson) printed on it.
#659 (Oscar Azocar) appears to have #261 (Bud Harrelson) on it, though I'm not 100% sure on that one because I don't own a 659 variation and am basing it off of the pic in this thread.
#759 (Bobby Cox) is confirmed to have a variation so he has to match up with a player. The only player left would be #294 (Mike Moore)

That leaves (2) c-sheet managers and (2) D-sheet managers which could wash each other out if they are found in the same locations on the sheet. They are #s 81 (Gaston), 109 (Riddoch), 519 (Sparky Anderson), and 291 (Wathan).

To conclude:
I would love to see pics of variations of #s 351, 231, and 261. I'm confident they exist but they must remain unconfirmed until examples surface. #s 81, 109, 519, and 291 are also outside possibilities but I don't think they exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91 topps sheet C.jpg (19.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 91 topps bob rodgers - 1 back.jpg (77.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 91 topps frank robinson - 1 back.jpg (77.4 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by 4reals; 11-16-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Side note - I was just thinking about the overprinted number thing. The stat back boxes might be limited to the 12 cards mentioned in the previous post, however, if the entire sheet was mixed up then that means there are variations for all cards on sheets C&D. I will try and find an example to show what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by 4reals; 11-16-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:21 PM

nice detective work! It sounds like Canseco wouldn't have one then. I'll still be on the lookout though
Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Has anyone noticed that sometime in the print run the bold logo started to fade to give it a half finished look?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Side note - I was just thinking about the overprinted number thing. The stat back boxes might be limited to the 12 cards mentioned in the previous post, however, if the entire sheet was mixed up then that means there are variations for all cards on sheets C&D. I will try and find an example to show what I'm trying to say.
I gave up hope on this theory...kinda burned out on the whole thing right now. If someone else finds one let us know!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Has anyone noticed that sometime in the print run the bold logo started to fade to give it a half finished look?
I did notice this on ebay if it is what you're talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Topps-6...4AAOSwkZhWRSQc
Old 11-17-2015, 12:40 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I went through roughly 20,000 '91's and pulled 5 of the logos that looked like they ran out halfway through printing. Just trying to understand the difference between all the backs. I haven't found any of those coach backs but have found 4 different backs for some(half bold logo makes 5)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

5 out of 20,000. They seem quite scarce. Great finds! Perhaps they're transitions from the bold logo to the screened logos, no one will probably ever know.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Consecutive. 12345-12610. Definite short prints. Possible double or triple prints.
I checked and have a D12611 code card, so is that previously unknown.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I checked and have a D12611 code card, so is that previously unknown.
No, it was a mistake on my part. I believe that is the last card, both my working sets have it as well.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 11-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Don't forget about the rare football backs
Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Just pulled a vending case from storage. If I get enough time I'm going to bust it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Just got an Oscar Azocar and Joe Torre stat box error out of the same box! Have only seen one copy of the Azocar on these boards and the Torre is the first I've ever seen! Still trying to find a Rader #231 and a Bud Harrelson #261.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Just pulled a vending case from storage. If I get enough time I'm going to bust it.
In case you ever bust that case; I wonder if they put in any of their buy back cards into said case
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Al Richter

Default Buy Back

As I recall Topps was supposed to have gone into the market and bought 3 full set runs, 1952 to 1991. One run was the grand prize if you drew the right Game Winners card. Other winners cards were good for one of the full sets. The third run, 1957 on was distributed in packs. Not sure how many may still be lying around in unopened packs. From 52 to 56 there were redemption cards in packs. Not sure how many in those years were not redeemed. I also seem to recall that some high value post 56 cards also had to be redeemed and were not included in packs, but not sure

Still looking for 3 of the serial numbered game cards to complete a run