NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-18-2016, 06:18 AM
Mike Rozanc

Default Loans or donations to museums

I'm considering some long term options for some of my sports collection, anyone have experience loaning or donating to museums? Any tips or insight would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 11-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Dave Grob

Default Museum Loans and Donations

I have loaned items to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum and the National Museum of American Jewish History. Also in the continued process of making regular artifacts donations to the Cincinnati Reds.

Please feel free to contact me directly at:

davegrob1@aol.com

Dave Grob
Old 11-18-2016, 06:37 AM

Default University donation

I made a large literary book collection to a university. The university had an existing collection of similar material and the donation was a perfect supplement, filling in needed gaps with minimal duplication. The material was valuable for research, as well as collectible and was made up primarily of unique or original material. Major considerations should be : is it wanted, does it fit the setting, how will they treat it, i.e. Will it be a separate, fully described archive, an exhibition etc, and you will need a full written appraisal for tax purposes. I did not ask for it, but in this case the university catalogued it as my named collection, with a detailed descriptions etc. Warning, once donated, they will hound you for more.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Ben North

I donated several cards to a local museum. Donated one card for each decade from 1900 to present plus the only 3 cards from the only person born here to make it to the majors. It was a horrible experience and I wish I had never done it. I spent a lot of time finding a major HOFer or someone connected to our town/state for each decade. It would have been different if I had went to the museum but the director came to me for the donation.

Another thing to think about is they will tell you anything to get your items and then anything they told you goes out the window when they receive them. After I donated mine I started hearing horror stories from others who have donated to museums. It is like that guy that begs you for a discount because it is for their personal collection so you break down and give them a great price. Then a few days later see it on eBay for twice what they paid you for it.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:19 AM

I have not donated to a museum but I would be wary of doing it if I ever acquired something that was "museum quality". We all know the long history of the HOF and NYPL having a blase attitude toward thefts from their collections. The HOF also has an extensive inventory that they never display.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 AM

I was approached in 1997 by Steve Harding, the curator of The Nolan Ryan Center which was to be built in Ryan's hometown of Alvin, TX. He had heard from other Ryan advanced collectors that I had the most complete collection of Nolan Ryan milestone tickets. He felt that this would make for an interesting wall display in the new museum and wanted to know if I would consider loaning my collection to the museum.

The opportunity to share my collection with thousands of visitors to The Ryan Center made it a no-brainer for me. I immediately agreed as long as the collection was insured and I had documents in hand that guaranteed against loss and that I would loan them for one year. This was agreed to and I physically handed them off in person in 1997 to the curator Steve over dinner while on a business trip to Houston.
Over the course of the next couple of years (The Ryan Center finally opened April of 1999) I was allowed to collaborate on the design of the Ryan Milestone Ticket Wall. This was great fun & it also led to conversations about other items that I might loan out of my personal collection that would add value to the exhibit. In total I loaned or donated approximately 75-80 items to The Ryan Center. The loan actually led to them being on display for a total of three years from 1999-2003. I was also invited to attend a grand opening ribbon cutting ceremony and dinner associated with The Opening of The Ryan Center.

The overall experience was very positive for me. An opportunity to share what was a hobby labor of love over 25 years of collecting (in 1999)- now over 40 and counting.

I have shown these items before, but when The Ryan Center sent my collection back, Nolan and Ruth Ryan sent along two very unexpected gifts.
A facsimile Ryan jersey with Nolan's personal thank you & a limited production bronze statue by artist Toby Mendez (17") of the same statue of Ryan that is on display at The Ballpark at Arlington in TX.

Mr & Mrs. Ryan are obviously very thoughtful, classy people. Please feel free to reach out to me as well if you have any questions.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-19-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Jay Shelton

I have donated 25+ pieces out of my Southwest Conference collection to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Waco, Texas, and it has been a pleasurable experience. The loan is long-term, and I put a dollar amount in insurance on each item in the unlikely event that an item(s) is lost, stolen, museum burns, etc., then I will be reimbursed that amount. Could not have been more pleased with the way things went down, and the items are on long-term loan in revolving 2-year renewals.

Not to plug my collection, but if you are ever in Waco a stop at the Texas Sports Hall of Fame is a must if you have any interest in the defunct Southwest Conference. In the large SWC room of the museum, each of the nine schools has its own section highlighted by game-used memorabilia, pennants, books, mascot costumes, historical artifacts, etc., with a replica of the Cotton Bowl facade as you enter the large room.

I would suggest you get all your ducks in a row with whatever museum(s) you are considering loaning your items and make sure to read through the loan contract to your satisfaction.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
The loan is long-term, and I put a dollar amount in insurance on each item in the unlikely event that an item(s) is lost, stolen, museum burns, etc., then I will be reimbursed that amount.
This reply is in no way meant to offend you, but you are hoping you get reimbursed and hoping you get your items back. Mainly reimbursed should something happen. This is just like buying insurance when you ship or have items lost or stolen. Talk to me after the fact. I would be very careful with what you donate or loan and have an explicit contract set up should something get damaged or stolen. There is a lot of assuming when it comes to things like this. I just got back a bunch of items I loaned to my local city museum for a sports exhibit they had for the last year. The items were not of huge value, but are very difficult to find. I went in knowing that there is a chance I will never see them again. Trust me and others, there are plenty of stories out there like the one Ben describes. Just my two cents and place that much worth on it
Old 11-18-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I was approached in 1997 by Steve Harding, the curator of The Nolan Ryan Center which was to be built in Ryan's hometown of Alvin, TX. He had heard from other Ryan advanced collectors that I had the most complete collection of Nolan Ryan milestone tickets. He felt that this would make for an interesting wall display in the new museum and wanted to know if I would consider loaning my collection to the museum.

The opportunity to share my collections with thousands of visitors to The Ryan Center made it a no-brainer for me, & I immediately agreed as long as the collection was insured and I had documents in hand that guaranteed against loss and that I would loan them for one year. This was agreed to and I physically handed them off in person in 1997 to the curator Steve over dinner while on a business trip to Houston.
Over the course of the next couple of years (The Ryan Center finally opened April of 1999) I was allowed to collaborate on the design of the Ryan Milestone Ticket Wall. This was great fun & it also led to conversations about other items that I might loan out of my personal collection that would add value to the exhibit. In total I loaned or donated approximately 75-80 items to The Ryan Center. The loan actually led to them being on display for a total of three years from 1999-2003. I was also invited to attend a grand opening ribbon cutting ceremony and dinner associated with The Opening of The Ryan Center.

The overall experience was very positive for me. An opportunity to share what was a hobby labor of love over 25 years of collecting (in 1999)- now over 40 and counting.

I have shown these items before, but when The Ryan Center sent my collection back, Nolan and Ruth Ryan sent along two very unexpected gifts.
A facsimile Ryan jersey with Nolan's personal thank you & a limited production bronze statue by artist Toby Mendez (17") of the same statue of Ryan that is on display at The Ballpark at Arlington in TX.

Mr & Mrs. Ryan are obviously very thoughtful, classy people. Please feel free to reach out to me as well if you have any questions.
That is so awesome, Scotty! And how thoughtful of the Ryans to think of you in that manner. Scott & Nolan... Two first class Gentlemen!

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-19-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Completely agree with Jimmy....

What a classy show of gratitude. Wonderful gestures on both ends!
Old 11-19-2016, 04:13 AM

Thanks Jimmy & Mark.

I just wanted to put it out there that not all museum loan situations are terrible experiences.
It's fun to collect all of the baseball rarities that we accumulate in our hobby. That being said, I'm sure that many of us would agree that sharing your passion with other like-minded enthusiasts and fans is the ultimate thrill (aside from the hunt itself ).
IMHO this is one of my favorite things about net54.

Jimmy, it's great to see you check in. I hope things are well with you.
Any new terrific Beatles items to share with us?

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-19-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Bill Boyd

The fear of donating items to the Hall and not having them display those items on a somewhat timely fashion scares me. Scott, your experience sounds like a winner all the way. Loaning the items with the agreement of displaying them sounds like a much better choice. What time duration would you recommend?
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
The fear of donating items to the Hall and not having them display those items on a somewhat timely fashion scares me. Scott, your experience sounds like a winner all the way. Loaning the items with the agreement of displaying them sounds like a much better choice. What time duration would you recommend?
Billy, IMHO a 1-3 year loan is probably ideal. Here are other items to consider:

1) All items be insured against damage or loss as another poster previously mentioned. When I did this I submitted replacement value for each item, and admittedly I hedged on the high side.
It's understood that many scarce items may not easily be replaced.
2) That the museum is absolutely solvent. Museum's do sometimes become insolvent for a number of reasons, including lack of traffic, etc. This happened recently with the Bob Feller Museum in Van Meter, IA.
3) They guarantee that the items will be displayed, the proper use of non-UV lights, etc.
4) Return of items at the end of the term will be via FEDEX Next Day and insured at the expense of the museum.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-20-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:17 AM
Bill Boyd

Thank You Scott, all sound suggestions.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Dave Grob

Default Museum Loans

In thinking about loaning items to a museum for display, you also have to realize that not all museums are the same. Larger, more established museums typically have a combination of permanent, semi-permanent, and temporary (topical displays) all running in conjunction with each other. These exhibits are planned for in advance and curated accounting for display space requirements, current or similar artifacts already on display/within the collection, graphics, etc. Their (the Museum’s) desire and willingness to accept and display your item (s) may largely depend on timing. For significant artifacts or collections, you may end up simply being told “thank you, but it just does not fit right now.” Don’t be discouraged by this, as I have had institutions contact me after the passing of time and requesting a loan as circumstances change.

Dave Grob

Last edited by Dave Grob; 11-20-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I would suggest you get all your ducks in a row with whatever museum(s) you are considering loaning your items and make sure to read through the loan contract to your satisfaction.
^^If donating or loaning this is great advice.^^ This was my biggest problem. The person who runs the museum also runs all the historic places in town. I owned a construction company for 20+ years and had easily done over 6 figures of work for them over the years with 0 problems. I was too trusting and believed everything she said and got nothing in writing.

Quote:

1) All items be insured against damage or loss as another poster previously mentioned. When I did this I submitted replacement value for each item, and admittedly I hedged on the high side.
It's understood that many scarce items may not easily be replaced.
2) That the museum is absolutely solvent. Museum's do sometimes become insolvent for a number of reasons, including lack of traffic, etc. This happened recently with the Bob Feller Museum in Van Meter, IA.
3) They guarantee that the items will be displayed, the proper use of non-UV lights, etc.
4) Return of items at the end of the term will be via FEDEX Next Day and insured at the expense of the museum.
^^More great advice.^^ I had a great talk with the lady behind the counter at the Bob Feller Museum not long before it closed. Actually it is MLB that screws these great little places over causing them to close. I don't get how this works or why it is done but this is how it was explained to me. I will use the Feller museum as an example. As long as Mr Feller was alive they are allowed to have former players come and do autograph sessions and other events. These events are their main income. As soon as Mr Feller passed they are no longer allowed to bring in any former players to do these events. Without Mr Feller or any former players doing events they quickly run out of $ and have to close.

I would highly recommend donating/loaning items to museums even with my horrible experience. Just don't do it as stupidly as I done, get every aspect of the transaction in writing.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
^^If donating or loaning this is great advice.^^ This was my biggest problem. The person who runs the museum also runs all the historic places in town. I owned a construction company for 20+ years and had easily done over 6 figures of work for them over the years with 0 problems. I was too trusting and believed everything she said and got nothing in writing.

^^More great advice.^^ I had a great talk with the lady behind the counter at the Bob Feller Museum not long before it closed. Actually it is MLB that screws these great little places over causing them to close. I don't get how this works or why it is done but this is how it was explained to me. I will use the Feller museum as an example. As long as Mr Feller was alive they are allowed to have former players come and do autograph sessions and other events. These events are their main income. As soon as Mr Feller passed they are no longer allowed to bring in any former players to do these events. Without Mr Feller or any former players doing events they quickly run out of $ and have to close.

I would highly recommend donating/loaning items to museums even with my horrible experience. Just don't do it as stupidly as I done, get every aspect of the transaction in writing.
Ben is correct about all of this info, as it was the same thing that I heard.
It should be noted that Van Meter, IA is so far off the grid, that incidental traffic to the museum was always practically non existent. You would have to plan for a trip to Van Meter to catch the museum which was very nice, BTW.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Bill Boyd

This is all very good information, great thread.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:21 AM

I'd want to know just who exactly was going to handle your items. The museum representative may be professional and inspire confidence, but the person or persons who handle, set up for display, remove from display, and package items for return may not always be as experienced or professional. And, let's face it, there are some folks who think of old sports items as nothing more than neat junk. I've heard of some bad experiences due to such folks, usually well-meaning but either not respectful or knowledgeable, making mistakes with sports memorabilia on loan. Odds are you'll be fine and you'll be doing a service to your community, but get the info you need to provide the appropriate level of comfort with the various issues raised by the insightful posts here.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I'd want to know just who exactly was going to handle your items. The museum representative may be professional and inspire confidence, but the person or persons who handle, set up for display, remove from display, and package items for return may not always be as experienced or professional. And, let's face it, there are some folks who think of old sports items as nothing more than neat junk. I've heard of some bad experiences due to such folks, usually well-meaning but either not respectful or knowledgeable, making mistakes with sports memorabilia on loan. Odds are you'll be fine and you'll be doing a service to your community, but get the info you need to provide the appropriate level of comfort with the various issues raised by the insightful posts here.
Steve Harding, the curator of The Nolan Ryan center had curated other museums previously, so I was confident that the result would be good.
The final result was excellent. In many ways, I believe that the exhibit was much nicer than even Cooperstown.

PS
One final thought. I had custom acrylic ticket holders made for my tickets that were used in the exhibit by a guy out in So Ca. This eliminated handling errors because the tickets were protected.
The ticket on the right was from Nolan's 500th career strikeout. This was also his 1st pitching appearance with the Angels, 1st win, & ironically his career win # 30 which was his uniform number. Note the # 14 on the ticket. This was ticket # 14 in the Ryan Milestone ticket wall and the key for the display had the description of what the milestone was...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-20-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Steve Harding, the curator of The Nolan Ryan center had curated other museums previously, so I was confident that the result would be good.
The final result was excellent. In many ways, I believe that the exhibit was much nicer than even Cooperstown.

PS
One final thought. I had custom acrylic ticket holders made for my tickets that were used in the exhibit by a guy out in So Ca. This eliminated handling errors because the tickets were protected.
The ticket on the right was from Nolan's 500th career strikeout. This was also his 1st pitching appearance with the Angels, 1st win, & ironically his career win # 30 which was his uniform number. Note the # 14 on the ticket. This was ticket # 14 in the Ryan Milestone ticket wall and the key for the display had the description of what the milestone was...
Really like those acrylic holders for the tickets. Just the right size and they don't detract from the tickets.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Really like those acrylic holders for the tickets. Just the right size and they don't detract from the tickets.
Thank you. The guy that made these really did a super job on them.
Ironically, he went blind in both eyes shortly after making these for me and was never able to make any more of them.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you. The guy that made these really did a super job on them.
Ironically, he went blind in both eyes shortly after making these for me and was never able to make any more of them.
Wow. That's terrible.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Donation to Clemson Library

About 4 years ago I was cataloging my collection and came across a photo of the Clemson baseball Team from 1903. I did a little research and found the John Heisman was the coach that year and was in the photo. I contacted the library and was told that they did not have an original photo of the team just a recent copy and they would be very interested in obtaining the photo. after a few emails I donated the photo to the Clemson Library in memory of my Dog who had passed away asking that when the photo was displayed that I be notified (so I could visit) and that my Dog always be mentioned as Donner of the photo. I was told that they would be happy to comply with both requests.
What I learned was that once they take possession of the item all bets are off they can do or not do whatever they want with the item. Sad in a way but I do not regret the donation. I tried to do a nice thing and what they do is completely on them.
Jonathan .
Old 11-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
About 4 years ago I was cataloging my collection and came across a photo of the Clemson baseball Team from 1903. I did a little research and found the John Heisman was the coach that year and was in the photo. I contacted the library and was told that they did not have an original photo of the team just a recent copy and they would be very interested in obtaining the photo. after a few emails I donated the photo to the Clemson Library in memory of my Dog who had passed away asking that when the photo was displayed that I be notified (so I could visit) and that my Dog always be mentioned as Donner of the photo. I was told that they would be happy to comply with both requests.
What I learned was that once they take possession of the item all bets are off they can do or not do whatever they want with the item. Sad in a way but I do not regret the donation. I tried to do a nice thing and what they do is completely on them.
Jonathan .
Is it on display now or ever and if so was it labeled as being donated by your dog(I really like this being a dog person)?
Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Dog Guy's

I have no idea I have not heard a word from them aside from a one paragraph email saying that they received my photo. I have inquired a couple of times with no response... Those are the breaks but I still feel the photo is where it is meant to be.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Something like 10% of a museum's holdings are on a display at a time, so, unless you have a Van Gogh or George Washington's military uniform, expecting something to be on permanent display usually is a bit much.

However, you can donate to a museum that catalogs their items and has them available online. Numerous museums have good online catalogs of their holdings. Example
Old 11-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Mike Rozanc

Thanks for the great insights on dealing with loans/donations to museums.

I'm just in my initial talks with a particular museum and am weighing my options.

Please keep the responses coming on this topic as I think it's a great discussion for our hobby!