NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default Jay Publishing Baseball

Posted By: RayB

I've started looking into this set of late and don't have too much info aside for what the Standard Catalog has to say about it.

Any collectors of the set out there that wish to share a sort of "primer" on the set?

What I know:
5x7 B&W Cards sold in team packs.
Issued late 50's, early sixties.
Two types; differentiated by text change on player/team names.

It would be really good to hear from anyone who has done extensive research on the set. It strikes me as an issue similar to Exhibits in its multiple year distribution.

Side note question involving the pack. If two packs have the same player on top; would all the subsequent players in the pack be identical too?
Is there a way to tell when (what date)an unopened pack was issued for sale?

Anyone?
RayB

Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Ray:

These are basically impossible to differentiate from year-to-year (other than the two types that you mentioned). The only way to do it is to purchase complete team sets so you have a checklist but someone could still switch the photos out from another set picturing the same player pose. I decided not to get involved with them for this reason.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

We had an collector, who had done fastidious research on these items; break down the year the year of whom was issued in each year. We got as many in our data base as we could but some of the listings had to remain the way they were for various technological reasons. The next step would be for each card to be scanned/copied but such an endeavor although difficult is possible

Regards
Rich

Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Richard is correct. The 2008 Beckett Almanac is the best resource for these sets and lists basically all of them with complete checklists for each team and year along with a sample photo of most of them.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I noticed that the Standard Catalog does not differentiate year; just Type 1 and Type 2.

If you had an unopened pack would you know by the packaging what year of release is for that particular pack?

RayB

Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

If you're talking about the hundreds (thousands?) of baggie-packed Jay team sets that have been on the market for the past 5+ years, they have all been 1961s.

The Standard Catalog has a virtually complete year-by-year checklist for each team in its data base, literally lacking only about 6-12 pix for completeness. However, because of lack of demand and space considerations it was never put into print. Perhaps an appeal to Don Fluckinger could get that data onto the next DVD edition.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Any chance a person could email for specifically that data?
Email address?
Thanks.
RayB

Old 10-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

That data is locked in the bowels of an antiqued AS-400 data base. Other than creating a greenbar printout, I don't know how it could be accessed. I'd also guess that the owner would be hesitant to "give away" such data that may have some commercial value someday.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

not really responsive to your posts, but it's hard for me to think of a better time to post these, which I won on ebay for my HOF type set in already slabbed condition for a whopping $4.95 each (far less than the cost of the oversized slabs themselves)

Old 10-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

There are ways to get that information...

http://www.freesoft411.com/freeware/3270-emulation.html

Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CLAUDE

I have a problem even with the text. I have several that, based on the pose, are Type 2's but they have different type texts....some are bold print and some are finer print. So does the text really follow the year of issue? The Standard Catalog from a couple of years ago lists the poses from the different years (1958-62 and 1962-65) and thats how I determited the years on a lot of them, NOT the text difference. I also have a Giants team set in a brown mailer envelope with cards having both types of text but all are from the 1962-65 Type 2 due to the poses.

-Claude

Here is a scan of three that are all 1962-65 Type 2's ..note the text differences: