NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default 1960's Buffalo Bills Menu

Posted By: Joe Brennan

I am a Bills fan originally from the Town of Tonawanda, (Buffalo) New York and collect 60's Bills items, Jack Kemp and the mad bomber Darryle Lamonica in Bills uniforms. This restaurant was just a couple of miles from my parents house. It was co owned by another Bills player Glen Bass and I found it on e-bay within the last year. Just thought it was a neat item and fit in nicely with my Bills collection. Just trying to give the football board a little life. Anyone else have any neat items from their favorite teams or something from their home town they would like to share? I may get off my butt and post a few more Bills items and cards.
BTW, Jack Kemps signature is crisp and clear. I suppose it helps that it is inside the menu, closed off from light for all these years.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Hey Joe,

Great piece! Do you have any of the Super Duper photos or any of the matchbooks. I am a big Pittsburgh guy, but have a secondary interest in the Bills and Bills items as my wife was born in Eden and most of her family still resides in the area. Any 20's Buffalo All-Americans items? AAFC?

Walter Koppisch with a Buffalo Courier press stamp (1922)

Old 10-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Brennan

Hi John, Thanks for the response. I need that Lamonica!!! You don't see these too often and when the come up they are usually filled with pin holes or taped from tears. Robert L. Smith was a well known photographer, and I wonder if Bob Smith who did the Kemp in this series is him or maybe his son? Kemp is the only one I've seen with the Bob Smith photo credit. I look for old 20's-40's Bills memorabilia but usually am out bid. I collect the 60's Bills because I lived and died the Bills from those years. My father was an original member of the Bill's Booster club and we had season tickets from 1960-1982. I saw every home game and from 63 and many road trips to NY, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Here's my Super Dupers and a few more.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Moran

I love the old football team trip menus - here's one my father saved from 1929

Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Moran

Here's one he saved from 1932

Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I received an e-mail from a fellow New Yorker and thought I would re post the Kemp Super Duper since the last one was chopped badly by the scanner. The other Bills piece is a Jack Davis snorting Buffalo.

I was hoping this thread would bring out some more football pieces like the great menu from 1929. Coming from his father must make that an even more special piece. I understand that football is not nearly as popular as baseball collecting but I firmly believe that vintage football(50-60's) will someday be as prized as baseball from the same era. Just one man's opinion.

BTW. For those that don't know what Super Duper was, it was a grocery store in the Western New York area. I'm not sure how they were distributed, but if anyone has any information on them it would be a welcome addition to this thread. [linked image] [linked image]

Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Joe,

A nice super duper set just sold on eBay for $40 and change. It was almost over when I found it and I was sniped at the last moment. I was trying to grab the Lamonica for you.

I will ask my father-in-law the next time we speak if he remebers how the pictures were distributed.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Wow. Must have been in a catagory I don't watch. I usually scan all Bills vintage memorabilia, but I have been out of town for the last week. Too bad as I would have liked to upgrade a few of mine and snag the Lamonica to add to both my collecting interests, 60's Bills stuff and Lamonica in Bills uniforms. Oh well, the beauty of e-bay is there will be another along some time. But I thank you for thinking of me.

BTW, How do you like that Jack Davis. I thought it was a cool piece even if not vintage. Joe

Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Administrator

The Davis piece is really cool. Do you have any of the AAFC home programs? That is one of my favorite images showing Buffalo Bill riding the Bison towards the goaline. I have picked one up as of yet but intend to. Take care.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Kaufman

Super Duper food market gave away a different Bills picture for 10 weeks in the fall of 1965 with each food purchase. I think you may have had to buy at least a $10 purchase. My brother and I managed to each put together a set, since my Mom was very cooperative. I still have my set in mint condition. Of course, back then the football season was much shorter for the old AFL. I also managed to put together 10 Coke cap sheets and redeemed them for an official AFL Spaulding football. This was the night game football with the white stripes. Someone stole that from my garage. I had to visit a lot of Coke machines to get those caps every day after school.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

That's awesome information Paul.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Paul, Great info. That's why this site is soo cool.

Paul, I remember riding my bike around to every gas station in my area in 66 with a magnet and a string. All the coke machines were outside and most of the stations were closed. I pulled alot of coke caps out of those machines that year. If the station was open I got some strange looks !!!. Man, that brings back great memories.
I wonder what happened to all my caps? LOL

Old 11-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Kaufman

Joe, that's amazing because my buddy and I did the very same thing in Cheektowaga every day after school in the Fall of 1966. Finding those magnets with the hole in them was the tough part. Occasionally, a store owner would just open the Coke machine for us once we explained what the deal was. I wish I had just one of those empty Bills Coke Cap saver sheets right now ! I wonder how many people actually got the full ten sheets to redeem their football ? Paul

Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim

hi Paul, I was also 8 years old in 1966 growing up in Cheektowaga. Me and a friend would go behind the bowling alley on William and Vern Lane and rummage through the back dump there to pick out the coke caps we needed. They dumped all their junk out right next to the pond back there. Went to school at St Josaphats; which they just closed this past summer. Small world.