NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Is anyone out there mellow about the hobby ?

I'm more mellow collecting mid-grade cards. If I only go for the higher-end stuff for too long, I find myself more concerned with centering, corners, and condition minutiae to the point where the hobby at some point becomes more about my paranoia and perceptions than it is about the fun of owning the cards. Towards the end of my pseudo-dealer days, this had become my mentality. Glad I put an end to that. Oh, and did anyone mention that PSA 5's are a lot more affordable than 8's?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 PM
J0hn Collin$

Oh...and if nobody has mentioned this one yet - when a seller lists a graded card while conveniently leaving out a qualifier in the title. PSA 8's that are really PSA 8 OC's, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I am very tired of "Please read entire description carefully" when what the guy is really saying is "Please read entire description carefully because I have deliberately given this a misleading title to attract eyeballs and buried somewhere below a disclaimer that the card is a reproduction."
Old 03-08-2016, 06:58 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I can live with any stupid description or lame sales pitch of a card, (comes from a smoke-free home, original owner, untouched for 20 years, etc.) but it's the sellers who use crappy photos instead of scans that drive me absolutely bonkers!

If you want to sell a card over the internet, especially an ungraded card, is it too much to ask that you scan the front and back of the card? My scanner cost less than my iphone! I press one button, it scans the front. I turn the card over, press the same button, it scans the back. The images go right to my computer just like a photo would. This does not require a high level of intelligence or technical knowledge.

Pleeeeease!!!! No more photos of cards from 20 feet away, in the dark, tilted at 30 degree angles. I can't take it anymore!!!!

$200? Sure! I'll take it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I would have to agree that crappy / non-scanner pictures are a pet peeve for me, although they are generally tolerable for graded cards unless the seller is really rushing or just has no clue what they're doing with a phone camera. Also there are times when a picture misrepresents the color / brightness of a card - either for better or worse. ('59 Topps Mays I bought which looked ok in the scan, but duller than a bad penny in hand...)

Also not keen on folks who cannot post a scan of the back of a mid-grade card. What caused that EX looking card to get a PSA 2?

I, stupidly, offered this guy $60 initially but stated it was a low bid only because there were no scans of the backs of the cards, and he had the wrong year listed for the Boomer card.

Our conversation went back and forth and he stated he owned a card store from 1988 to 2001, to which I replied, "So when people came in to purchase cards off of you, they didn't look at the backs of the cards"?

The whole thing reeks scam and the only reason I, stupidly, bid was the fact the card is in Ontario Canada, where I also live, so I thought I could save some money.

Anyways, he refused to post pics of the backs of the cards and this is what he wrote/updated in his ad. LOL
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ade/1101439704
Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I'm more mellow collecting mid-grade cards. If I only go for the higher-end stuff for too long, I find myself more concerned with centering, corners, and condition minutiae to the point where the hobby at some point becomes more about my paranoia and perceptions than it is about the fun of owning the cards. Towards the end of my pseudo-dealer days, this had become my mentality. Glad I put an end to that. Oh, and did anyone mention that PSA 5's are a lot more affordable than 8's?!?
I couldn't agree more! I found that trying to complete my '69 and '72 sets in high grade ended up not being very fun at all, so I'm all done with high grade stuff. Buying low grade cards is actually really fun because you can afford more, and you don't worry so much about getting scammed. As has been stated many times, it's just a picture on a piece of cardboard. It's the history of the cardboard I find interesting, not how sharp the corners are.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
It's the history of the cardboard I find interesting, not how sharp the corners are.
Very well put. Think about other collectibles and antiques, is anything held to quite such a standard as cards? Those guys on American Pickers are always buying "junk" that are really gems from people's barns and attics that are rarely in mint condition. I think our view of condition with cards that came out of the 1980's and into the era of professional grading was largely due to the influence of the coin hobby. If there are any collectibles that are more highly scrutinized than cards, coins win, I think. Bottom line, the fact that some cards are in fabulous condition and are incredibly attractive does not mean that those which aren't quite up to that standard aren't still very collectible and desirable and most of all...fun.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-08-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 PM
J0hn Collin$

I thought of one more: When less than knowledgeable people refer to everything valuable as a "rookie card." A "T-206 Honus Wagner rookie card." (Or Ty Cobb). Just because something is valuable does not mean it has to be a rookie card. For pre-war that's always been a real stretch for me anyway...just seems wrong to call a tobacco card that when the term would not even come into vogue until like 70 years after they were made...
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Bill Gregory

This pertains to modern cards, more than anything, but when I see this:

"Serial #18/100, the uniform number he wore in college. 1 of 1!!!!!!!"

Hey, you knucklehead, if you think that some randomly stamped gold number adds value to the card, be my guest. That's stupid, but go for it.

But every card with a serial number is a 1 of 1.
#1/100 is a 1 of 1
#2/100 is a 1 of 1
#99/100 is a 1 of 1

Get it?

A 1 of 1 is a card that is unique. But, then again, most people don't understand the concept of something being unique. That's another pet peeve, a grammatical one. When I see somebody say "it's the most unique...", my colon clenches, and my head wants to explode. Something is either unique, or it is not. There are no degrees of uniqueness.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Anyways, he refused to post pics of the backs of the cards and this is what he wrote/updated in his ad. LOL

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ade/1101439704

Wow. What a jack@ss...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Afraid I could go on and on here.

What about Auction Houses that hysterically scream "1 of 3" at this grade!!! with bated breath, because SGC has only three at that grade -- and they know full well that PSA has 9 at a BETTER GRADE. So 1 of 3, ultra rare, etc., etc. really is a little misleading. . . . .
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Al Richter

Default Unique

Ok, I think I get unique = one of a kind. Now can you help with rare and scarce.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Pete Sycks

I'm not a fan of certain auction houses giving favoritism to their top consignors regardless of the value of the card. I've seen cards that should go for $3k+ be in a tiny corner of the magazine, but a Banks PSA 4 rookie having half of a page. Not all AH's, just a couple in the past.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

not enough band-width to list.

don't wanna make the site crash...
Old 03-10-2016, 04:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Listing with no prices, just accepting offers. I don't really use blowout forums, but noticed they have a rule that any BST ad with no price will be removed. I would like to see that rule adopted here.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Listing with no prices, just accepting offers. I don't really use blowout forums, but noticed they have a rule that any BST ad with no price will be removed. I would like to see that rule adopted here.
that easy to resolve just dont offer anything unless there is price listed
Old 03-10-2016, 06:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
that easy to resolve just dont offer anything unless there is price listed
I usually don't unless I really want the card. It just seems to me there should be a starting point provided by someone listing a card for sale. I shouldn't have to come up with the price or negotiate against myself. One of a few pet peeves I suppose I have when it comes to collecting.

Another someone else mentioned I completely agree with is calling a card dead centered, or even well centered when it's clearly off. It's not that hard to tell if a card is centered or not people.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
+1