NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default ID for Cap Anson Card...

Posted By: Nick

I need help with an ID for the card picturing "Baby Anson" in the auction link below. There is a picture of it in Lipsets book(Figure 7?), but I could not find a set to go along with it. If any one knows the value of it or what set(if any) it is part of I would appreciate the information.

I think I got an OK price on the Scrapps Thompson, but I am curious about the other card.

Thanks all!

Nick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=1987052752&rd=1

Old 01-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Balke

Hi Nick it looks to me to be a trade card from the 1800's. It also seems to have been trimed down it should be the size of a postcard. It is not a diecut it should be rectangle. But very nice price for the scrapp card. Rob

Old 01-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Robert B is correct. It's rectangular trade card that was trimmed down to highlight Baby Anson. I know that there is a Baby King Kelly card too.

This must have been common practice way back when, as I've seen a variety of Victorian albums with trade cards cut down like this. The person must have liked the die-cuts and decided to make his or her own. This means, that it was likely cut by the original owner 100+ years ago ... The 'Scrapps' cards (ala Sam Thompson) seem to be hot items of late, and likely makes up price-wise for any deficiencies in the Baby Anson.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

A brief history of The Victorian Scrap

http://cycleback.com/scrap.htm

Old 01-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Hi,
The Baby Anson card has little value in its trimmed state. It is a "Victorian Trade Card" and from a set called H804-1 Tobin Lithograph "Baby Talk" Series (1885-1890 era). There are about 8-10 different Baby cards in the set (throwing, sliding, batting, crying, etc.), with many color variations, design variations and advertisements known. I have a few of them in my collection, and have owned at least 4-5 of the "Baby Anson" cards. They are actually not that scarce, mostly found in Victorian Scrapbooks of the time (along with the "Scrapps" and "R&S Artistic Series" die cuts) In NRMT+ shape the H804-1 Baby Anson may bring $100, but most cards from the set in nice EX condition sell for $15-$40. A badly trimmed card like that would bring about $5-$10 tops. Frank

Old 01-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I'd say you got taken a little. With the Scrapps, the object is to get one with no brown stain on the FRONT (all but a handfull have wood glue stains on the back).
Aside from the stain, the Thompson looks pretty nice, though.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Julie,
How much would the stain effect the value? If this were a regular issue card and it had a stain like this I would say that the value would be 30% of book price. Does the stain on scrapps effect the value more than that?

Nick

Old 01-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

I guess not, considering these items were meant to be pasted on albums unlike regular cards.

Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Administrator

But I'd say the stain is a definite drawback (because it's the BACK, not the front, that gets pasted in the scrapbook). Ideally, no stain, front or back, all the embossing shows, front and back, no paper residue, front or back--and I've seen about 3 of these, none of which were for sale.

Depends on how bad you want the card. I just recently won a Scrapps O'Neill (lots of bidding, but card went for 319.00)), with a show-through stain on neck and bottom of face--I'd been collecting Scrapps for 13 years, and never gotten an O'Neill! I just got tired of waiting. But I thought the price was fair. (What does it list for, $1000, and a tough card to find?)

Even real nice Scrapps seldon go for what they list for--most people don't like them. Too weird. They're often in auctions. Thompson's hard to find. You did O.K.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

fkw-Thanks for the information. I have been curious about that cards after seeing a couple on ebay. I am glad to know they are not rare or expensive and I did not overbid.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

I've always thought Thompson was the most valuable card in the set? I know an item is only worth what someone will pay for it, but I believe the Thompson card books for around $1,500.

I guess it's time to pull out ye'olde price guide!
Nick

Old 01-13-2003, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

I think Comiskey is listed as the most expensive card in the set, but you could argue that Thompson is the best player of the lot. I snagged a Buchner Thompson the other day on ebay at a low price. I'm still kicking myself for letting the Buchner Ned Williamson go by the boards.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/HR_progress.shtml

Old 01-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Hi Nick,
Frank is right on.I sold one of the anson cards on ebay last year.It was in about ex.It sold for about $50.00 to $55.00

Old 01-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Administrator

huge borders, but a good deal of wear to borders.

Yes, for some reason the Thompson does list higher than the Brouthers (better player???), but, like I said, Scrapps almost never go for listed prices; they aren't very popular,

Except with me.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i have actually found the opposite to be true. scrapps are very highly sought after by type collectors and i cant remember the last time a dealer didnt want twice book value for one.