NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Rich Klein

Default Some National Thoughts

I've had many different ways I've attended the National and whilst the show is great; I do believe there are many ways the show could be improved

First the positives:

1) The booth fees; although they seem expensive; are actually quite a bargain. If you figure 3 tables per booth and five days (including set-up) to buy or sell material; the tables average a very small amount on a per day basis.

2) The material at the show is awesome. If you can not find what you are looking for at the National; that item may not exist

3) You can SEE what you are buying. No matter how good scans are; nothing quite matches your own eyes

4) The availability for camaderie with fellow collectors/dealers is great. In my days back at Beckett; I enjoyed hanging out at Leon's/Scott's/Richard's Booth -- and got to meet and chat with many of you. That is just one example

Now for some things I'd like to see improved

1) I'd like to have the hours changed as a buyer/seller/corporate

My structure for hours would be this (And I don't think this would cost the promoters any money)

Tues == Early Set Up (Whatever the current hours for Early Set-Up would remain. Some dealers need more than one day to set-up and others want to come early. I have no problems with the extra charge for the early set-up.

Wed; Set Up Continues Until 5 PM -- After that --from 5-9 could the Corporate/Super VIP Party. Yes; booths and the show floor would be closed at that point; but dealers would have the option of staying in the venue or leaving. The party would not be on the show floor but another room. Earlier in the day; the National would have various seminars run as well. I miss those early seminars and I'd wager many collectors and dealers would love to hear insights from other of their bretheren.

Thurs: Dealer Set Up 8 Am; Super VIP entrence 9 AM; VIP 9:30; General Public 10 Am-7 PM
Events such as Leon's soiree could be held in the venue after 7 PM in other rooms on site. More on Leon Later (as he would say it's all good)

Friday: Dealer Set Up 8:30; Super VIP 9:00; Vip 9:30; general Public 10-6.

Saturday: Dealer Set up 8:30; Super VIP 9:00; VIP 9:30; General Public 10-5

Sunday: Dealer Set up 9; Super VIP 10: VIP 10:30; General Public 11-3.

Few Notes on the Hours:

1) Dealers are discouraged from closing their booth early; but with prior permission; that would be allowed. For example; since Leon is so involved with the net 54 Dinner; if he and Scott need to leave early -- that would be planned in advance and OK'd by the Nat people. This also gives approval for the Legendary people to leave early the day of their auction etc.

2) The Sunday Issue would be that no dealer can start carrying out material until 2 PM. The booth next to me was empty at 9:30 AM on Sunday and I don't know about you -- but if I pay $25 for my family to come in at 10 AM and the 3rd booth I see when I come in is closed; I wonder what exactly I paid my $$ for.

Few Other Suggestions:

1) I mentioned Seminars earlier -- if at all possible; we need to put a couple back on the schedule each year.

2) Better "approval" from the National to work with people; even if that particular deal does not make them $$. A couple of example I really enjoy is Stadiaplex; which is a really cool postcard only show run during the National but run outside the venue. Why that can't be a small part of the show I don't know. Leon's dinner is the closest thing to a hospitality room the hobby has. I know PSA does a luncheon, more of these events would be great

3) Please reduce the admission costs to enter this show. I understand for the vintage dealers that the admission cost is a small part of the cost BUT if we really want the next generation to be interested; we need to lower the cost. IIRC; the cost to park is $11 and admission to the show is $18. I don't know about you -- but a collector of "average" cards feels the pain of spending that much before they buy the cards they need for their Derek Jeter collection. We don't want to run museum's; we want to sell cards. If it turns out that attendance is about the same with much lower admission than with the $18 admission; then we can go back to the higher rate. I just want to try that once.

4) Many of the people who Run the National and are on the Board are friends of mine for many years and they know I want the National to succeed just as much as they do. I have not missed a National since 1983 and it's the best weekend of the year for me. I just want the National to be better; not an endurance contest.

5) I know a couple of people thought the show would be great with music pumped in. I agree with them and perhaps someone can figure out a way to hook up a SATellite Radio to the PA so we could listen to various stations during the day. Leon; I agree with you that we don't want Music drowning out conversations; but just as something in the background; such as MUSAK (sic) used to be.

If I think of anything else; I'll edit and post to this thread. I'm also curious as to your thoughts

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 08-21-2019 at 09:05 AM.