NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Stephen Benzel

Default Kris Bryant of choice

I collect one card for each of the top 100-ish all-time Cubs. Sometimes it's clear which card is the right one (1954 Topps Ernie Banks) sometimes not so clear (Cap Anson, Kris Bryant).

For Kris Bryant, I've narrowed it down to 2009 Aflac Auto and 2013 Chrome Auto Refractor, both graded 9.5. The Chrome sells for a bit more but the Aflac is more limited, both in total production (235 vs 500) and in total graded 9.5 (39 vs 234).

If you were picking one Bryant card to own, which would you choose?
Old 05-13-2018, 12:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'd go with the AFLAC auto. Then it doesn't matter when he signs with the Yankees. ;-)
I have one of his Panini Team USA relic autos from 2012 graded by PSA. I also grabbed the Topps Bunt RC #/25 inserted into Topps Flagship in 2015.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Stephen Benzel

Ha, how dare you sir.

Pics for comparison:

Last edited by Shankweather; 05-13-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 AM

If you're "investing" the AFLAC card is never going to retain the value of the Bowman rookie.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Stephen Benzel

Investing is part of it but not all. My collection is a history of the Cubs and baseball cards, and I like to have variety where I can. The tail end is dominated by Bowman Chrome, so the Aflac is a change of pace. But you're right, the Aflac card will not hold value as well, plus it's a little goofy looking and the Chrome is pretty. But the Aflac has the early Bryant sig where you can almost see all the letters.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:52 PM
J@RR0D

I pulled the Bryant auto'd Chrome card from a pack in 2014 and it's just a great looking card in person. Plus he's actually in a Cubs uniform, so it gets my vote.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:34 AM
Ne@l K

Is the 54 Banks the "right one" because it is his RC? Or would the right one be his 58 or 59 Topps because of his MVPs? That said ….

I'd go with a true RC card of Bryant, or a 2016 Topps - MVP, Cubs WS.

The Aflac is kinda dumb looking imo, and just because it is more of a "manufactured rarity" does not mean that people will pay more for it down the road. The chrome is a sharp looking card.

2016 red ink Heritage (if he has one) is solid as well

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 06-03-2018, 07:13 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I'm personally a bigger fan of the Aflac because it's earlier. It also has an early fuller signature than anything he scribbles now.