NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default T207 Harry Davis variation

Posted By: Chris

I have bought very few T207's in my collecting days and just recently picked a few up. One is a Harry Davis card. When I looked it up in SCD Standard Catalog I saw two variations. One being a blue "C" on cap and the other being a brown "C" on cap. The one I have shows him with a white "C" on cap. Has anyone ever seen one with a white "C"?

Old 05-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Chris, simply put, the blue "C" does not exist. The white "C" is a printing freak, not a true variation although I am sure some collectors might offer a premium for it, much like collectors go after the yellow/brown T206s which are lacking other colors.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim N

FWIW, in my recent survey not a single person reported this supposed variation.

If anyone does have one, send up a flare as we would all like to know!

Tim

Old 05-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Administrator

I know this may be a silly question but since this is the first time I have seen this card, the cap is black, right?

Old 05-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Tim, since it doesn't exist, why don't you have Bob remove it from the catalog next issue? Dan.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

the carrigan and wagner wrongbacks are nothing more than printing sheet errors and not backs that were purposedly switched in error, i have others that are partially shifter showing wrong names or parts of 2 backs, and have seen other different players with incorrect backs, just printing errors and not true variations as part of a complete set.

scott

Old 05-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Yes! I agree with Scott, I crossed this rediculous so-called variation off of my list immediately when I started. Obviously a sheet was created with wrong backs, the 1948 leaf issue has several of these.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim N

I agree with Scott about Carrigan/Wagner. Nobody reported it in the survey either, and I don't believe it's a legitimate variation, just an error that was kicking around at a time when an early catalog of the set was being done.

Hopefully Bob Lemke is taking note of the discussion--

Tim

Old 05-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

The 2005 Standard Catalog has gone off to production; changes are (probably) no longer possible. Clarify for me, please, the Davis situation. There is no blue C, but there are brown and white? The picture in the "Classic Baseball Cards" book shows a white "C". How would a brown "C" stand out on a dark cap?

Old 05-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Bob,

As far as I know there is only one Davis: NO variation at all.

The cap is quite dark brown or even black, and the "C" is much lighter. I'd call it somewhere between offwhite and light brown. On some copies it might look pretty much white, on others you might call it brown. I don't see any blue in it, or know anything about a blue "C" variation.

Does anyone have a scan handy that they can post? Mine is not accessible.

If not this year, maybe next year's issue, anyhow.

Tim

Old 05-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I haven't seen a single Davis that looked much different than the one below. To Scott's point, there was a Spratt/Kling (?) combo on eBay a few months ago from that pcj212 character that was probably just another one-off printing error.

Old 05-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Here is a scan of the card I just purchased. From all that I am hearing, I am thinking only a white "c" exists. No one has seen a blue one and the cap is black and I find it hard to believe they would put a brown "C" on a black cap. My card has a "c" that is definately white. not brown or off color.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

hmmm.... these scans got me wondering, so I dug out my copy.

The difference is subtle, but it's definitely more brown, maybe more brown than the uniform. Is this enough of a difference to call it a true variation, or is it just a matter of how much ink was on the machine at the time?

What do you all think?

Tim

Old 05-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

The "C" is tan/brown, depending on the fading of the card or the color processing, it could look more white than brown. My take on the whole issue is that someone confused Fisher (blue and white hat variations) with Davis when the original list was compiled.