NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Default what does everyone do to pay for their habit, er, hobby?

Posted By: brian p

Why so many lawyers? Our hobby has steadily gotten more expensive over the past couple of decades, to the point where you have to be on the upper end of the economic scale to regularly pursue the more desirable cards that are discussed on this board. There is still room for lower end collectors like myself--we just have to find a niche within the vintage collecting realm and keep plugging away at it.

Brian

Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Ted:

The FDA approved the drug based upon the studies that MERCK supplied to it. The FDA could not have known that Merck would cover up important and dangerous facts.

This would be like having someone who works at the Driver's License bureau create a PERFECT-LOOKING fake ID for someone who is not 21... and then trying to sue the BAR who served that person based upon the ID being fake... even thought it looked perfectly real and the Bar did everything by the book in carding the person before serving them.

Alas, you and I are probably both biased one way or the other on this...

so let's just sit back and see where these UNBIASED juries go after hearing all of the evidence.

So far, the count is 0-1 against Merck. The current trial is in their own New Jersey backyard with jurors who surely know someone who works for Merck ... so if they go down 0-2 in their own home field... things will get interesting.

Here is a link to the "Dodgeball" stuff:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/archivedStory.asp?archive=true&dist=ArchiveSplash&siteid=bizjournal&guid=%7B894447AE%2D61CA%2D479E%2DAFA1%2D6DE71D128B AA%7D&returnURL=%2Fnews%2Fstory%2Easp%3Fguid%3D%7B894447 AE%2D61CA%2D479E%2DAFA1%2D6DE71D128BAA%7D%26siteid %3Dbizjournal%26dist%3D%26archive%3Dtrue%26param%3 Darchive%26garden%3D%26minisite%3D

Old 10-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Yoken

MBA student at UMass, and will be finishing my degree next spring. In my previous life, I worked in national political campaigns as an operative, fundraiser, researcher, field director, and all around renaissance man.

To pay for my cards, I line the pockets of credit card companies.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Last 25 years in family business making women's and children's activewear and apparel.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ok, we can agree that Merck has an issue that requires litigation. But since we're all so concerned about the poor victims who took their drug, I'm sure all the class action attorneys are lowering their billing rates instead of reaping the 9 figure fees they're sure to get in a settlement. Because, after all, the PI attorneys are partly concerned about public safety issues and not just cash, right?

Old 10-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

PI attorneys have nothing to do with safety. They only get involved after safety has been ignored. No?

Old 10-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

I'm a marketing guy, working in the ad agency business. Since I started doing this, I get to laugh every single day, so it must be enjoyable.

-Al

Old 10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

I'm another attorney. I do civil litigation, both plaintiff and defense.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

I am a client relationship manager for a global news and financial information organization. Much to my wife's dismay, the majority of my disposable income manages to find it's way to purchasing old pieces of cardboard.

CB

Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

What you are telling us is that the FDA is not an
independent testing facility. Well, I find this very,
very scary. And, the alleged "shennanigans" Merck is
accused of; don't you think Pfizer is also guilty of
the same "tactics" with respect to Celebrex ? Both of
these drugs (Vioxx) are designed for alleviating ar-
thritis and are essentially the same compounds.

Look, if you want to continue this discussion, let us
do it Off-Forum. Lest, I get all "wound up" and begin
to offend the 20 some odd lawyers that have responded
to this Thread. It's been a terrific Thread and I do
not want to be responsible for digressing down some
O/T path.

edited by leon- thanks a lot Ted....I would prefer that this discussion be taken off line....Hal is easy to get a hold of....just watch some Florida TV during the daytime

Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ted, don't assume that all attorneys support the Med Mal bar - I assure you we don't.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: gary Nuchereno

I owned a restaurant for 25 years in Buffalo NY. For ten of those years I also had a baseball card store right across the street from my restaurant.The main
function of the card store was to buy and I was able to buy some great vintage
cards over that period. I am retired from all that and do treat the cards as both a hobby and a business today. I have been told by other dealers over the
years that"The problem with you Nuch is that you fall in love with your cards"
My response is always the same, "your right about that".