NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Barry, they were available outside of Brooklyn as well. In NYC, they could be found in Brooklyn and Harlem. They were also available in these cities and their suburbs (I may be missing some as I'm on the phone away from my research): Washington DC, Baltimore, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago, St. Louis, Montreal.

While I've tracked down some cards from New Orleans, they were not purchased from the original owner, but rather pawn shop / dealers that bought them as part of a collection. Since I don't know if the person that sold to those dealers / pawn shops moved to New Orleans later in life, I can't confirm that they were available in that city.
Interesting. I would have assumed Manhattan, but surprised the cards were available in all those other cities. If that is the case, then why isn't the Bond Bread Jackie's rookie card? It really should be.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Where's Ted Z when you need him? Although not a pre-war discussion, I think this topic is worthy of it's own thread, which might catch the attention of more members who have extensively researched these cards (not to overlook the terrific knowledge provided by Shaun)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Link to the Bond Bread research thread. Man we really need those pics back!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169
Old 08-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Interesting. I would have assumed Manhattan, but surprised the cards were available in all those other cities. If that is the case, then why isn't the Bond Bread Jackie's rookie card? It really should be.
Barry, I think there are 4 reasons as to why it hasn't picked up more steam as being Jackie's official rookie card.

1) Jackie was the only player featured in the set of 13. I could be wrong, but I feel like most widely accepted RCs come from sets with multiple players.

2) The confusion on the release date. Because it was incorrectly believed for quite some time that all 13 cards were released in 1947, it is likely that most collectors didn't know which card should be considered his RC, so thereby figured the Leaf/Bowman options would be easier to classify as such.

3) While the card wasn't regional in terms of city distribution, it was primarily distributed in neighborhoods / suburbs with larger black / African-American populations. This doesn't mean that it wasn't available in neighborhoods where the demographic was primarily white, but the majority of distribution did happen where there was a larger black demographic. I think this is why the regional label does still stick.

4) Low pop numbers in comparison to the Leaf / Bowman issues. While the reported distribution numbers of the Bond Bread white borders portrait card were very high, the pop reports would lead one to believe otherwise. I think that the low pop numbers contribute as well to the regional label. As I mentioned in a previous reply, I believe that many of the people that received this card, and the other Bond Bread white border cards (D302) weren't necessarily baseball card collectors. As we know, Jackie's importance went well beyond the game, and would thus make this promotional item attractive to those that never bought a pack, etc.

I believe that there are many more of at least the white border portrait card out there. As for the remaining 12 - I'm not really sure. The distribution areas were the same, though the distribution #s aren't as clear on those just yet.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Barry Sloate

Shaun- maybe if there was more information regarding the issue date and distribution of the cards, collectors might look at them in a new light. I'm okay with the idea that most choose the 1949 Leaf, but that Bond Bread set is pretty darn interesting and deserves some further research.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Shaun- maybe if there was more information regarding the issue date and distribution of the cards, collectors might look at them in a new light. I'm okay with the idea that most choose the 1949 Leaf, but that Bond Bread set is pretty darn interesting and deserves some further research.
Agreed. I've been hoping to put together an article compiling all of my research - it's been a goal of mine for the last 2 years. Time has not been on my side, though. The closest thing for now is in a recent Goldin Auction catalog, which used my research in the write-up for a friend's set.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Barry Sloate

If you can find the time it would make for a great article.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Agreed. I've been hoping to put together an article compiling all of my research - it's been a goal of mine for the last 2 years. Time has not been on my side, though. The closest thing for now is in a recent Goldin Auction catalog, which used my research in the write-up for a friend's set.
The most compelling part for me from the previous archived thread on the subject was:

1) The advertisement which actually pictured the White Bordered Portrait w/ facsimile autograph card and invited consumers to come into their local grocer to pick up a card. This was used to pinpoint the release date of that particular card to the summer of 1947. Another interesting thing about this particular card is that it has a unique back compared to the other 12 and is the only card that includes biographical information about Jackie Robinson, rather than just advertising Bond Bread

2) The research which cross-references the original wire photos to the images on the cards and was utilized to verify that particular cards could not have been produced prior to the date on the photos.

3) The different backs and how it was hypothesized the cards were distributed in waves over a 2-3 year period.

The research was very compelling and was even more so with the photographic evidence provided. I'm basing all of this off memory and am pretty much plagiarizing the work that Shaun did along with Ted Z, but I know after reading through that thread I felt extremely confident that the White Bordered Jackie Portrait w/ facsimile autograph was almost definitely the first released on the 13 white bordered cards produced, was likely distributed in a different manner (retailer vs. packages of bread), and was likely a promotional card of sorts produced to gauge consumer response
Old 08-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Shaun, are you able to post the picture from the archived thread of the original advertising of the White Bordered Jackie Portrait w/ facsimile autograph? All the pics from the archived thread are gone. Also do you happen to have a link to the write up you did for your friend's set in the Goldin Auction catalog?

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-17-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:28 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Dan, I think this is what you are looking for.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lo...kie_robinson_g
Old 08-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Dan, I think this is what you are looking for.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lo...kie_robinson_g
Thanks Dean! (although I don't see the write-up)

Edit to add: I'm guessing it's in the catalogue which I may still have. If not could someone possibly scan it and include it in this thread?

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-17-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Dan, there should be a "+" (on the right hand side) where it says description. Click on that and it expands out with the write up. That's what I had to do to see it.

Last edited by DeanH3; 08-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Dan, there should be a "+" (on the right hand side) where it says description. Click on that and it expands out with the write up. That's what I had to do to see it.
Ah, yes....thanks again Dean!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

You're welcome Dan!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Shaun, are you able to post the picture from the archived thread of the original advertising of the White Bordered Jackie Portrait w/ facsimile autograph? All the pics from the archived thread are gone. Also do you happen to have a link to the write up you did for your friend's set in the Goldin Auction catalog?
I do have a majority of the pictures saved in a folder on my flash drive. I will upload everything tomorrow.

I also want to give a shoutout to Mike (71buc), because it was he who got the ball rolling on much of this research. He's also the individual who sold me the type 1 photo used for the Sliding card.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Awesome Shaun...thanks man!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Link to Beckett article on the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson 13-card set and a couple images from the August 1947 Baltimore Afro American news advertising the promo card

http://www.beckett.com/news/1947-jac...on-bond-bread/
Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Link to Beckett article on the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson 13-card set and a couple images from the August 1947 Baltimore Afro American news advertising the promo card
Thanks for the link. The first Bond Bread advertisement featuring Jackie Robinson was in the June 24, 1947 issue. This same ad would be featured again on June 28, and also in July. The first advertisement in the Baltimore newspaper inviting readers to stop by their local grocer for the card was August 16, 1947.

The final Jackie Robinson Bond Bread advertisement was in the October 15, 1949 paper.

These ads were also ran in other newspapers targeting the black / African-American demographic.

I believe I mentioned this in the other thread, but the portrait-facsimile card white borders (D302) card was first distributed in June via promo packages with the card, a coupon and 2 slices of bread. Come August, it was made available in grocers. The remaining 12 cards were distributed in this same manner (grocers distributing the cards). Here is an example of one that came from the Cardozo Market, which was located in DC at the time. The current address is no longer a business, but the store front and building were converted into a residential building / home. There was also a Cardozo in Baltimore, but this address is from the location in DC.

On another note... the Old Gold card that is listed as a 1948 release was actually released in September. Here's the first ad featuring that card:

This ad lines up with a September release date, which is when I believe the original owner of this card acquired his (based on the writing in pencil on the card):

Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Awesome, just awesome. Thanks so much Shaun!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
May I ask how you were able to find out that Bond Breads were sold in (for example) Baltimore and its suburbs in 1947? That's pretty impressive and have no idea how one would go about that.
Peter,

I completely missed your post. I used library archives, leads from fellow members, and social media.

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 08-20-2017 at 10:51 AM.