NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Matt Payne

Default eBay auctions vs Net54 auctions

There is no doubt in my mind, that eBay auctions are better. I don't like that people can bump there auctions so more people bid. I think the excitement of winning an auction that nobody notices is one of the joys of bidding. Tired of bidding on things and having the owner bump it.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ebay

Yeah, I agree, an owner or operative bidding on their own items NEVER happens on Ebay!

peace, mike
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Luke Lyon

It's kind of a double-edged sword Matt. If net54 auctions always went for cheap because no one else noticed the listing, then pretty soon no one would list auctions on net54. Also, there is no search function, so if the seller doesn't bump it, it really can get lost. It bugs me when when some posters bump their listings excessively, but the vast majority of guys on here are courteous with their listings.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Matt Payne

Default eBay

I feel like things don't go for inflated values on here (when not bumped). Unlike most auction houses.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Luke Lyon

Those "inflated" prices are just full retail. I agree listings here go for cheaper than retail.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:58 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

2 points 1) advertising your item by bumping is good salesmanship, 2) on ebay the seller also has to deal with 10-15% in fees where as here there are none.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Ben North

All I know is I buy more cards/items from Net54 members than I do from eBay. There is a lot less chance of problems when buying from fellow members. I make TTM payments and that does not happen on eBay anymore, plus I have had several members send the item the same time I send out the $. That would never happen on eBay.

As far as bumping threads, yes we have one guy who bumps his threads way more than the rules say but he is old and probably forgot he just bumped it the day before.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

I have always found the BST or auctions a good alternative. It is win/win. The seller can move it for no fees and the buyer gets a better deal most of the time and you do not have to worry about shady deals for the most part. If something like that happens our administrators are on it like a blue tick hound on a pile of deer guts. If ebay went to 0 listing fees it would bolster up inventories, but for now these types of outlets are a great alternative.

Jason
Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 AM
octavio ranzola

No feebay here net 54 you make friends and is more fun imo
Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Since I became a member here my ebay buying has gone down. The only issue here is supply of what I'm looking for is pretty finite, but so are my resources so that's ok. Selling here is great as well, even if you don't sell the item here you get feedback and know better how to market/price the item for ebay.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey View Post
There is no doubt in my mind, that eBay auctions are better. I don't like that people can bump there auctions so more people bid. I think the excitement of winning an auction that nobody notices is one of the joys of bidding. Tired of bidding on things and having the owner bump it.

Welcome to the board. There's no better place to discuss, research, buy, sell, and trade vintage baseball cards and memorabilia. If you don't like Net54 auctions, or any other section of Net54, I'm sure you can find another board elsewhere. I will warn you though - complaint threads like this seem to go *POOF* on those other boards.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:02 AM
pete ullman

honestly...you can't compare the bst auctions here to ebay...apples and oranges.

The BST as a whole here is a relatively tightknit community where sellers often sell for cheaper than ebay or other venues...especially around the closing of the big auctions to generate quick revenue to pay for winnings.

This is the time to find deals on the bst!

For free...you can't beat the bst for buying and selling here.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 AM
K Farrell

I find BST to be as close as we get to the fun part of the hobby without the brash business side - more like going to a card show where you BST, haggle and try to get a deal with mutual respect. Most sellers here don't bother to over-hype a card and would rather point out the flaws so the buyer is happy - more like selling to a friend. I have never sold on eBay - it can be enough of a hassle buying on ebay with the BS you get from sellers. I put items on BST auction to unload cards that no longer fit my collection and try to recoup about what I paid and ultimately buy more stuff - kind of like setting up at the Holiday Inn years ago.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Brendan Mullen

I absolutely love the BST here (as well as the no fee auctions). Not to mention, you lost all credibility when you said "bump THERE auctions"....
Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
I find BST to be as close as we get to the fun part of the hobby without the brash business side - more like going to a card show where you BST, haggle and try to get a deal with mutual respect. Most sellers here don't bother to over-hype a card and would rather point out the flaws so the buyer is happy - more like selling to a friend. I have never sold on eBay - it can be enough of a hassle buying on ebay with the BS you get from sellers. I put items on BST auction to unload cards that no longer fit my collection and try to recoup about what I paid and ultimately buy more stuff - kind of like setting up at the Holiday Inn years ago.
I totally agree. My experience on the BST has been overwhelmingly positive.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Alex

My favorite part about the BST is that you can post what you are looking for. It always amazes me how many fellow collectors will send a PM about something they saw somewhere else that you may be interested.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 AM
FredYoung

----Tired of bidding on things and having the owner bump it.

Bumping is NOT why you lose auctions--NOT BIDDING ENOUGH is why!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 AM
D0NN1E B

The kid just made a statement, not sure if people need to turn mean or point out grammatical errors.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:59 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey View Post
Do you have more IDs then this one? Because there is only one live auction here on Net 54 you have participated, so I don't know how you can be "tired of bidding on things..."

Also did you really just complain that a seller bumps so "more people bid" because you, the buyer, think it is fun to bid on something that "nobody notices"? Put yourself in the seller's shoes, do you think it is fun for them to sell to someone for less than half (you bid $6 and it is at $15 currently) because no one noticed the auction?

The seller on the auction you bid didn't bump until it had gone for 3 days, with one more on the ending day. That is a fair amount of time. They didn't do it in excess.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Jimi

Love me some BST! However....I very rarely see anything on the BST Auction portion that I bid on, but that just might be my tastes. It seems like most auctions are lower end stuff that doesn't get put on EBay or the regular BST threads. I still check the auction portion from time to time, but generally I just like the other BST links.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
... Not to mention, you lost all credibility when you said "bump THERE auctions"....
Maybe some slack needs to be cut here. Considering the OP is 17, and considering what some schools teach and don't teach these days, he very well may never have been taught the appropriate usage of there, their, or they're in the first place.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Maybe some slack needs to be cut here. Considering the OP is 17, and considering what some schools teach and don't teach these days, he very well may never have been taught the appropriate usage of there, their, or they're in the first place.
Not being taught does not eliminate the option of learning.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:26 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Not being taught does not eliminate the option of learning.
I totally agree. But my comment was specifically directed at the following quote: ...you lost all credibility when you said "bump THERE auctions"

What is the lesson in that from which he could 'learn'?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So if the OP is 17 then he didn't read the rules and isn't going to be allowed to participate without a guardians consent (unless he is one of the 3-4 that have gotten their parents to contact me with their consent). That goes for everyone on the BST. There won't be any posse's to come get anyone but when I, or another mod, become aware that someone is underage then we need to put the breaks on in order for the previously mentioned consent to be ascertained. Members can be any age, the younger the better, but to be doing things on the BST they must be at least 18 or have a guardian email me taking responsibility for their actions. We all love young collectors but the rules are there for a reason. thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Mike

Quote:
I totally agree. But my comment was specifically directed at the following quote: ...you lost all credibility when you said "bump THERE auctions"

What is the lesson in that from which he could 'learn'?
He could learn the proper usage of 'there", "their" and "they're", of course.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So if the OP is 17 then he didn't read the rules and isn't going to be allowed to participate without a guardians consent (unless he is one of the 3-4 that have gotten their parents to contact me with their consent). That goes for everyone on the BST. There won't be any posse's to come get anyone but when I, or another mod, become aware that someone is underage then we need to put the breaks on in order for the previously mentioned consent to be ascertained. Members can be any age, the younger the better, but to be doing things on the BST they must be at least 18 or have a guardian email me taking responsibility for their actions. We all love young collectors but the rules are there for a reason. thanks
Leon,

I was basing the age on the face value statement made by the OP on the following thread:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195110

I read the rules 'way back when' but probably didn't pay much attention to the over 18 part since I was more than a few days past that.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Alex

Come awn guise this has went to far. Can wee just let it geaux all ready?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

I have bought and sold cards here and on feebay. Some of my sales here went for bargain prices, but some of my buys have been bargains as well. As a buyer, I can't imagine anyone having anything negative to say about Net54BST or auctions except maybe lack of material. Yes 1 guy does bump his auctions more than the rules allow, but how much more exposure does this really give him? More exposure than a 7 day auction on Feebay? I think not...

Edited: I didn't see page 2 of this thread when I typed this post

Last edited by slipk1068; 10-31-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon,

I was basing the age on the face value statement made by the OP on the following thread:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195110

I read the rules 'way back when' but probably didn't pay much attention to the over 18 part since I was more than a few days past that.
Glad I covered my arse . Yes, the young Mr.Payne is good to go and IS in fact one of the email consents I have on file. My apologies for not remembering up front.... Just trying to keep the place as safe as can be....and btw, us moderators rarely need to get involved in any BST stuff (knock on wood). Most everyone acts fairly professionally, and if they don't, I or another mod are only a click away. Happy collecting!!

Last edited by Leon; 11-01-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Scott Ti3k

I just wanted to throw my two cents in on the Net54 auctions & B/S/T.

I LOVE IT!! I have made several purchases here at net54 and every transaction has been 100% perfect. I have also sold a few cards here and have had to deal with none of the drama that comes with selling through ebay at times.

Since discovering the B/S/T section here on net54 my ebay purchases have dropped off a lot. I just feel like this is a much more collector friendly environment and everyone is not motivated by pure greed. I really appreciate the fact that Leon & the admins here offer us this option.

A huge thank you to all I have purchased from or sold cards to again.

Discovering the net54 forums has made this hobby fun for me again!!

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Brian Horne

When searching for items on ebay the items that are closest to the end of the auction are listed first. The website is built to "bump" the items to the top as they near their close.

On net54 there isn't a feature that does this, if the owner doesn't bump their thread the item can be missed multiple pages down.

I don't see this as net54 bumping to be different, it is net54 bumping to be on an even playing field.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I think, as a whole, Net54 Auctions go way cheaper than eBay auctions. I have no sympathy for anyone who missed out on a "really great deal" because someone else bid on an item here. Chances are, the final price was a better deal than eBay. Go pay higher prices there and keep your indignity because it got bumped here. You're cutting your nose to spite your face, IMO.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM
K Farrell

There is really no need for excessive bumpage on BST auctions - there are never so many active auctions that push them off the first page. On the other sales pages, an occasional bump is warranted. My personal pet peeve is all of the WTB bumps - that should be limited to about twice a year.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default BST auctions

One thing that would help would be putting "SOLD" in the auction title so everyone knows which auctions are over. There are some listings now where the title says "Ends Oct 26th", or something similar. That is fine, because it that also indicates that the auction is over if the date is past the 26th.

But, if the title says "ending Sunday", know one knows if the auction is open or closed with out clicking on the link and reading the details.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default auction

I think that OP... and Anthony..they got taken off the radio
Old 11-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
One thing that would help would be putting "SOLD" in the auction title so everyone knows which auctions are over. There are some listings now where the title says "Ends Oct 26th", or something similar. That is fine, because it that also indicates that the auction is over if the date is past the 26th.

But, if the title says "ending Sunday", know one knows if the auction is open or closed with out clicking on the link and reading the details.
This makes sense. Sucks to click on links for auctions that are finished.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
I think that OP... and Anthony..they got taken off the radio
In truth, only Anthony was released from his contract.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I LOVE Net54 auctions and the BST. I trust the members here to be completely honest in their listings.

Plus, I have made two high (for me, $100+) dollar purchases that arrived BEFORE the check was cashed. Truly amazing!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Love me some BST! However....I very rarely see anything on the BST Auction portion that I bid on, but that just might be my tastes. It seems like most auctions are lower end stuff that doesn't get put on EBay or the regular BST threads. I still check the auction portion from time to time, but generally I just like the other BST links.
+ 1 for me. I know that I generally auction really low grade random stuff. it allows me to be very intentional with scans to show all of the flaws. It also allows me to lump some random stuff together that probably appeals to some board members vs putting on Ebay and hoping my 292 feedbacks generate any views. When I sold the T205 Cobb, it made more sense to me to get the wider Ebay audience (even with the 12.9%) as it would come up in a general search and find its market level.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I use EBAY a lot and BST a little...mainly because I try to buy PSA-5s and better and most members either don't have any or are not looking to sell. There are a lot of 'filler' condition cards sold on BST (and probably on EBAY as well), but I have absolutely no interest in those.

While it is a good experience to get to know so many good folks on this site, some that is taken away every time someone is 'less than friendly'.

I try to be friendly and even use my normal amount of silly humor but try to keep my digits in check (i.e. mouth shut) when nothing positive can come from my comments or replies.

I do have a lot more experience on EBAY than I do with the site, but one of the draws of Net54 is the knowledge shared by so many members...that does not occur on EBAY.

In my opinion, Leon does a good job of only stepping in when necessary - I just wish there were not so many instances where he probably has to consider doing so.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Daryl

Default eBay auctions vs Net54 auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
In my opinion, Leon does a good job of only stepping in when necessary - I just wish there were not so many instances where he probably has to consider doing so.

Have you really seen "so many instances" in six months?

Last edited by 4815162342; 11-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Brad Francis

I think the OP is a bit misguided in what the net54 auction is and isn't. It is not meant to be an "option" to Ebay, or really much at all except a bit of fun for a few people to share a treasure or two. As mentioned, I rarely see a bump or the need for a bump because any other current auctions are only about three deep in the cue anyway.

The other BST sections are the place for the real stuff to change hands, and that is not auction, just first come first served. Many people have stated this before, but, "please spend some time getting used to what net54 is and isn't, how it works, and common courtesy before you go off looking like an idiot.

There are no "auction deals hiding" on here as it is not an auction site. The very little and very cheap items that members actually put up for "auction" is very obvious it is there as a fun game to play once in awhile.

Also, everyone knows what everyone is doing and that is what makes it a safe place to buy, sell, and trade. You can't get away with a complaint like "every time I do this..." when you only did it once.

I am pretty sure there are more important things to worry about than losing a 2 dollar common card by a dollar because it was bumped. Members who put things up for a day or two auction, bump to be fair and to be kind, not to drive up their prices. Just look through the auction section and you will see that no one is getting rich here.

I just find the complaint a bit weird. If you are looking to trick, cheat, or sneak a deal, this is not the place. We are all on the same team per se. Just my two bits.

Last edited by marvymelvin; 11-01-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 PM
tony

I bid occasionally and am happy to pay TTM, i have also received cards before the dollars got there.
I made a big (big for me sale and was super happy with the deal.
Only one thing bites my but is for example if the bids are asked to go up in $1 increments, and the last bid was $11 and I bid $15 and win shouldn't I pay $12?
Just saying like!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescooper View Post
I bid occasionally and am happy to pay TTM, i have also received cards before the dollars got there.
I made a big (big for me sale and was super happy with the deal.
Only one thing bites my but is for example if the bids are asked to go up in $1 increments, and the last bid was $11 and I bid $15 and win shouldn't I pay $12?
Just saying like!
No, because the next bidder would have to bid $16 to top your bid.
Your example only works in auctions where no one can see your top bid.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 AM
tony

ok so no problem then, I am wrong again, nothing new there
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 AM
Sean Costello

Hey Tony, I hope I didn't give offense. I didn't mean it to sound sarcastic.