NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 PM

Default 1965 lou brock, worried if counterfeit

i'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if this is counterfeit? i only have doubts because the picture is fuzzy. i don't know if some cards of 1965 can have various clarity to the picture. thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350735569696...84.m1497.l2649
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Bill Gregory

The first question I have is...why would somebody fake a 1965 Bob Gibson baseball card? In very good to excellent condition, the card is worth about $20, and this card has seriously soft corners.

The card itself looks fine when compared to other examples. Nothing that jumps out to me as being a red flag. No red flags with the seller, either. Nearly 1,300 sales this year with only one negative (and he refunded them).

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Todd Schultz

Welcome to the forum. Your card is not fake. It does have bad registration, giving it that blurry look--so much so that some apparently think it looks like Bob Gibson
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Welcome to the forum. Your card is not fake. It does have bad registration, giving it that blurry look--so much so that some apparently think it looks like Bob Gibson
Haha!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Scan was really good. I agree with Lemmings about the registration, which may have thrown you off about the scan quality. Looks like Josh Gibson to me, not Bob.

Last edited by Paul S; 03-20-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Bill Gregory

Sorry, I had a brain fart. I've been in a lot of pain all morning, not thinking straight.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Al Richter

Default Brock

As a Cardinal fan, I am just glad it does not look like Ernie Broglio
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Default re:

hey guys, i appreciate the feedback. i realize that asking the question seemed a bit silly considering the guy would make peanuts off a counterfeit. i only recently have been collecting pre-80 cards, and that was only two months ago. i am kind of in the dark about collecting these and didn't know much about "registration" clarity. it would be great if there's some kind of guide to newbies or faq to this era of cards and especially the cards that would actually be counterfeited just so i don't have to rely on good ol common sense. i get brain farts too! =)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I've been in a lot of pain all morning, not thinking straight.

Could be the stache!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyNaz View Post
hey guys, i appreciate the feedback. i realize that asking the question seemed a bit silly considering the guy would make peanuts off a counterfeit. i only recently have been collecting pre-80 cards, and that was only two months ago. i am kind of in the dark about collecting these and didn't know much about "registration" clarity. it would be great if there's some kind of guide to newbies or faq to this era of cards and especially the cards that would actually be counterfeited just so i don't have to rely on good ol common sense. i get brain farts too! =)
A good rule of thumb is to get accustomed to what the vintage cards look and feel like. Hold them close to your face, examine the printing, feel the texture and get a sense of the weight of a card. Most Topps cards are pretty similar. Get a cheap stack of vintage commons (available in abundance on ebay) and start there.

For the most part, you aren't going to have to worry too much about running into counterfeits from these years, but that's not to say they don't exist. A bigger danger from these years is purchasing trimmed cards that someone has altered to make them appear to be in nicer condition. Most of the counterfeits are going to be the high-priced stars and RCs. A few to be on the lookout for are the 52 Mantle (never buy unless graded), any early Mantle from 52-63 or so, 54 Aaron, 54 Banks, 63 Rose, 68 Ryan. I'm sure others can add to that list too. You are probably better off buying those graded until you can spot the fakes. There are some from the 80s too, such as 84 Donruss Mattingly, 86 Canseco etc.

Last edited by RobertGT; 03-20-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
As a Cardinal fan, I am just glad it does not look like Ernie Broglio
Haha. Here's Ernie. The sad part is, he is really a punchline to a bad Cubs joke, but actually had a solid career with the Cardinals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broglio.jpg (8.9 KB, 41 views)