NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Default My all-time favorite "fake"

A few years ago on Ebay I saw the BEST fake/forgery I've even seen.

It was a newspaper obituary of Mickey Mantle ... with a "real, authentic" Mickey Mantle signature!

In retrospect, I wish I had bought it! That's so bad that it's funny.

Anyone else ever seen any great "fake" memorabilia?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

That's funny

If I remember correctly, there was a discussion a while back, where there was a legit possibility for a scenario to play out with an "Authentic" signature. Although not with the Original newspaper clipping. I think it had something to do with authentic signatures on blank photo paper, and laser printers. Or something like that..
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Al Richter

Default Fakes

The SCD Standard Catalog has listings for some fakes, at least two that I know of for Topps. Someone got a bunch of those Topps Surf books and cut out the small player pictures, which were actual card replicas, and pasted them to cardboard stamped with "Topps Promotional Sample" on the backs, and sold them on ebay as "rare" Topps promo cards. Bob Lemke included a listing for them, picturing a 61 Mantle, stating they were fakes and without value. I think the listing appears at the beginning of the 1960s Topps listings in the 2011 Catalog.

He also listed fake Pewter ingots, that were designed to look like the Topps Gallery Of Champions silver, bronze and aluminum die cut cards that came in boxed sets of 12. For most years ( they ran from around 84 to 91), Topps did produce one pewter figure with each set as an extra premium, but different pewter ingots started showing up on ebay of additional players. Why someone would counterfeit them is a mystery ( The actual silver sets do have some value). Bob noted them as fakes in the Catalog and stated they had no value.

Well, since both were actually in the Catalog, they did have some value to warped individuals like me who had to have at least a couple examples of each, which I bought on ebay. An example of the real Gallery items is below

I keep the Surf "cards" with my corresponding sets and the fake ingots with my boxed Gallery of Champions sets

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-01-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Al, I too have noticed those scenarios in the SCD book. I think it's great that they point them out. However, my argument is with saying that they have NO VALUE. Some of those type listings do have some value. I can understand that there's no MLB authorized value, but let's face it, there's a select few of those type listings that people might still want.. Take the B/W Billy Ripken F*** Face fake TEST cards. I'd maybe pay a buck or two for one of 'em.. or the fake '84 Nestle Mattingly Test/Proof. I think there was fake blank backed '82 Topps Ripken that I personally wouldn't mind having. That to me gives them SOME value..

Last edited by novakjr; 02-01-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Al Richter

Default Ripken

I am sad to say I bought one of the "test" Ripken cards, thin stock, knowing it was fake, to add to all the other ones, fake or otherwise, I already had. Also one with a Homer Simpson head.

I agree that once Bob put it in the Catalog it had instant value of a sort
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I picked up one of the fake Don Mattingly Columbus Clippers minor league cards for $0.25 at a show last year. It's on paper thin stock and can be easily identified as fake in person but it looks great. Even though it's a fake I still love it for some reason. I still want to pick up a fake 84 Donruss Mattingly that were going around in the 80's to go with my real one. Not sure why but I want one.

My favorite fake though is the 63 Pete Rose rookie that was made famous when they were all confiscated in the 80's and stamped as counterfeit on the back. I really want one of those cards. I just like the story behind them and think it would be cool to have one. I think most of them were destroyed if I remember correctly but there are many still out there with the stamp on the back.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Damn Andy, I forgot all about those. They still sell for a decent amount too. Nothing crazy, but definitely more than a "known" fake should. I'll agree, I wouldn't mind picking one of those up either.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Damn Andy, I forgot all about those. They still sell for a decent amount too. Nothing crazy, but definitely more than a "known" fake should. I'll agree, I wouldn't mind picking one of those up either.
Hey David

There's a dealer at a local show here who has one for sale and the cool thing about his card is that it comes with photocopies of the official government documents surrounding the case about how they were confiscated, labeled as counterfeits and destroyed I think. I didn't read all the reports so I'm not sure exactly what's in them but that would be even cooler to have those along with the card. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it yet. I might pick it up later this month when he's at the next show. If I do I can make copies of the paper work and send them to you if you're interested.

AndyH

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Hey David

There's a dealer at a local show here who has one for sale and the cool thing about his card is that it comes with photocopies of the official government documents surrounding the case about how they were confiscated, labeled as counterfeits and destroyed I think. I didn't read all the reports so I'm not sure exactly what's in them but that would be even cooler to have those along with the card. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it yet. I might pick it up later this month when he's at the next show. If I do I can make copies of the paper work and send them to you if you're interested.

AndyH
Definitely Andy. That would be great..
Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I was able to pick up my favorite Fake at a local show recently and wanted to share it.

This is the 1963 Topps Pete Rose rookie that was famously counterfeited back in the 80's. There were a ton of them showing up at shows and they fooled everyone. They look and feel totally real except for the fact that there is slight black outline around Pete's hat. This is the dead giveaway that it is one of these fakes.

They were confiscated and ordered to be marked on the backs with the words, "Original Reprint" and then returned to the owner.

I am so happy to finally have one of these in my collection.

Thanks,

AndyH

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 Topps Pete Rose - Fake - Fr.Bk.jpg (75.3 KB, 210 views)

Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Al Richter

Default Fake Rose

Andy---I have the 63 set but think it would be neat to have one of the fakes to go with it, especially since it is clearly labeled as such
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM

I have fakes of both versions of the '84 Gallery Carew. I can't remember who it was, but I did give away an extra copy of the fake bronze card to a member here a couple years ago.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I was able to pick up my favorite Fake at a local show recently and wanted to share it.

This is the 1963 Topps Pete Rose rookie that was famously counterfeited back in the 80's. There were a ton of them showing up at shows and they fooled everyone. They look and feel totally real except for the fact that there is slight black outline around Pete's hat. This is the dead giveaway that it is one of these fakes.

They were confiscated and ordered to be marked on the backs with the words, "Original Reprint" and then returned to the owner.

I am so happy to finally have one of these in my collection.

Thanks,

AndyH

Awesome Andy. Looks great. What I find even more interesting from looking on-line is that the rose counterfeit stamped cards are/were popular enough, that people supposedly even started counterfeiting them too. The stock was supposedly a lot whiter, and the stamps(actually all the print on the back) were a little brighter.. A counterfeit has to be worth something if people are counterfeiting them..
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

David.

I never knew the fakes themselves were counterfeited. That's pretty interesting. I'm so excited to have this one. I can't stop looking at it.

AndyH