NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Just....WOW. Topps Archives Autographs

Good afternoon, gentlemen (and ladies, if we have any on the vintage side),

I have to ask you all for a little bit of indulgence, please. What I am going to be discussing here are technically modern baseball cards in that they have been released well after the year 1980. But if the topic title rang a bell with you, well, you understand why I am putting it here. The players that we will be showcasing came from the vintage era of baseball, for the most part. And, again, for the most part, the card designs we will be seeing here are from that vintage era, too.

You know how sometimes you see something that catches your fancy for just a moment, but inexplicably, you don't really dig any further? Well, today I am scratching my head. Usually, I am the most inquisitive person you will ever meet. If something catches my eye for even a moment, I will usually race to the computer, bring up Wikipedia, and get an overview of whatever has caught my attention. Wikipedia.com certainly isn't The Harvard Law Review. But I spend a lot of time utilizing that site because I feel it is always a great first step on any journey of knowledge I might take. Any article on the site provides countless links to other related articles, and in just a few minutes, I can bring up a plethora of articles to read, things that will interest me, and get my creative fires burning. And those articles will provide links to more in depth information located elsewhere on the web.

Well, I have seen a few of these Topps Archives Autographs in the past on eBay, and while I might have been momentarily interested...very interested in what I was looking at, I never dug further. Well, today, I saw another one of these cards, and this time, I decided to investigate further. And I am so glad I did. I know some of you guys already know about these, but for those that do not, I hope this little journey serves as an epiphany of sorts.

I love baseball cards.

Duh.

We all love baseball cards. But I would love nothing better than to have autographs of my favorite players, Hall of Famers, and just my favorites from my teams, and not have to worry if they were legitimate. And since traveling the country to card shows is an impossibility for me (heck, going to a local card show is almost impossible for me right now), this leaves me buying autographs that have been obtained from other people, or, it means I have to send something off to a player, hoping for the best. And, it means for players that are no longer living, I am S.O.L. You guys know what that means.

I could always get autographed baseballs, relying on the "guarantee" from companies like PSA/DNA, or JSA, but I've seen too many goofs from them in the past. It's not to say a lot of the time they don't get it right, but I want to know that if I plop down a good chunk of change for an autograph, it is the real deal.

What if I wanted to send a nice baseball card to somebody like Hank Aaron? What if I had sent my 1968 Topps Ernie Banks to Mr. Banks asking for an autograph? We know now I'd probably never get that card back. No biggie, as it was a nice card, upper-mid grade, certainly not the best example out there, nor the most expensive. But it would mean I'd have to replace the card. That would be the chance we take in sending something to any older player. A card we send can always get lost, stolen or damaged en route, either way. Or, the player in question just might not feel like signing, or returning the card. Or, God forbid, they may get sick, or worse. So, sending a real card of any value through the mail is a pretty significant risk. Sure, I could always send an index card, but as a collector, I would really like a card, or a ball, signed. I'm funny that way, I guess.

When I started pulling up the information on these Topps Archives sets today, I was a little overwhelmed. Topps has done these Archives sets in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Three years of these beautiful little autos floating around. I looked at the checklists, and I smiled from ear to ear. But when I dug a little deeper, it turned out that the Archives set was a revival of something Topps had done earlier, starting in 2001. Suddenly, the list of certified autographs from players of the past got a whole lot bigger.

2001 Topps Archives autographs
2002 Topps Archives autographs
2003 Topps Fan Favorites autographs
2004 Topps Fan Favorites autographs
2005 Topps Fan Favorites autographs
2012 Topps Archives autographs
2013 Topps Archives autographs
2014 Topps Archives autographs

I'm sure there will be a release in 2015, too.

So, this is really cool! The 2001 and 2002 autos are on reprints of the original cards, the difference being the gold foil archives stamp on the front, and the wording on the back bottom of the card that it was indeed a reprint, and an archives card.

The first two years were small prints, it turns out. 50 or so of players like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays, to Red Schoendienst, Hank Bauer, Preacher Roe. There was quite an extensive list of players. I think the 2001 set has some 154 players that signed. And, as an article printed on the PSA website in 2013 showed, several of the players that had signed in that 2001 release have since passed away-Phil Rizzuto, Warren Spahn, Hank Bauer, Dom DiMaggio, Willie Davis, Clete Boyer, Mark Fidrych, Bobby Murcer, Kirby Puckett, George Kell, etc. How neat is it that these men signed authentic reprinted cards from Topps, cards that have near impossible to reproduce stamps identifying these cards are certified to have authentic signatures. If I want a Dom DiMaggio signature, that is what I'm hunting for. These cards are beautiful. And if any of the sets produced in modern day are worthy of being collected by vintage hobbyists, these are it.

I'm going to post pictures of a few. I encourage you guys to share pictures of cards you own, as well as your general impressions of the cards, the concept in general, etc.

I am taking a short hiatus from collecting to stash away a little more money (I will still be here posting, however, and encouraging you guys to go for the cards you want, and sharing in your excitement as you add them). Once I have done that, then I will be able to go full steam ahead. And rest assured, I will be pursuing some of these cards for my collection. They are beautiful!! These are pics I found from the web, not the scans I'm used to doing. They will have to do. But, I think you guys will get the point.

These cards, as you can see, can go all the way back to the 1952 set. There are all sorts of Hall of Famers with more coming. More greats that didn't make the Hall, but entertained us all.

Let's see what you guys have.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Tom Boblitt

Don't forget about the Topps Heritage product, issued from 2001 to present.........they have autographs in each of those years that are reprints of original Topps cards AND they have new stars formatted in that same vein as shown below...........

Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Tom Boblitt

Your list may have grown.......
Old 01-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Yeah, I am aware of the Heritage. I don't like the mixing of old and new players. If a player were in both lines, I'd go with the archive. If they were only in Heritage, it wouldn't prevent me from buying it, but I wouldn't widely collect the Heritage.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

There are 1997, 98, and 99 Topps Stars release that has a Topps rookie card subset that is autographed. The 1997 subset is the largest and most prevalent.

These can sell from $10 each to several hundred.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Curt

Some of the cards have better pictures than the originals. Check out the 76 Topps Carew card from 05 Fan Favorites. Not sure if there was an autographed version, but that is a sweet looking card that is right up my alley. Obviously this shot is not from 1975-76 though. Looks like maybe Brooks sliding in under Rodney.

Original: Decent card

Fan favorite: Would have been the best looking card in the set!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:45 AM

Default Heritage auto

I like to pick up the rookie reprint autos myself. Here's a Killebrew from the 2004 Topps Heritage set.

Photobucket - http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Cardmark/library/
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Michael

I think I bought a box of the Topps Archives and should have some autos from that box around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find them to post pictures.

Another set you may not be aware of are the Fleer Greats of the Game. It had a pretty strong list of autos also. I know they were issued in 2000 and 2001. Not sure about after that. I have maybe a dozen of them. I'll also try to find them to post pictures.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Bill - I buy a few every year. I don't break the bank for the HOFers, but I like getting a few Pirates and a few of the somewhat obscure players. Here's what I bought from the 2012 set:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autos1.jpg (81.5 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg autos2.jpg (79.5 KB, 300 views)

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***
Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Jim H

In 2004 I purchased some packs of 2004 Topps Fan Favorite and pulled a certified card of Mike Scott. Since then I decided to try and get an autograph set. Out of 150 card set with 149 cards that are possible to get signed (Norm Cash has passed on before the set came out). I currently have 80 of the cards signed with 22 of them certified. Some of my favorites that I got signed TTM; Mark Fidrych, Eric Gregg, Ernie Harwell,Don Newcombe. I received 12 HOFers TTM to include; Snider, Kaline, Kiner, Ryan, Weaver.

Someday I'll concur this set and finish it.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Bill Gregory

That Killebrew is gorgeous! I might have to pick that one up!

I saw there was a 1975 Topps Robin Yount, and I nearly fell off my bed I was so excited.

Jason-I saw several of those yesterday when I was doing some research. I like the Space man one, especially.

I know that the older players don't have to sign as many autographs as the new kids do, simply because they are being asked to sign 10 different products within a short period of time. But it's startling to see the signature quality difference between players of today, and players from the recent past.

So few recent players have signatures that I really like Junior Griffey is one. The guy has a real flair to is auto.

Junior Griff. Like a boss.

Ok, I feel a little bad, given that Oscar Taveras just died a few months ago. But this is a great example of how terrible modern ball players are at signing.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Bill Gregory

Curt, I actually like both cards, though I think the second has a better picture. I love the action shots, but I like a good portrait, too, though the first doesn't really qualify as a portrait. I was just a sucker for Carew, though. The guy could flat out hit. He had one of the smoothest approaches I've ever seen at the plate. He'd crouch down, and just mash the ball. Everything he did was smooth. I remember watching him in 1982 when the Brewers had to get by the Angels to get to the ALCS. He really didn't hit much in the Series, and I'm glad, too, because I thought he was going to destroy us. He'd had another great year, hitting .319. Can you believe he hit .300 15 years in a row? 7 batting titles in 10 years!

Mike, yes, I've seen them before. They're ok. I prefer the Topps Archives cards because they emulate sets from the past. I have more of a connection to them. Now, if they had done the Fleer sets from the 60s, I'd have been game.

I like the Archives set because they combine the modern with the old. The cards are sharp, well centered, and in the style of the card issues that were in print when these men were on the field. And, on card autos. They're perfect!

Old 01-31-2015, 01:36 AM

Default Yount

I have owned the Yount before and would like to find it again, it's a beauty too.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 AM

Default Banks

The Ernie Banks one is also sweet.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
J Ryan
Banned

pulled this one from the pack back in 2001, i was 10.
my dad pulled a minnie minoso baseball redemption from a pack of 2002 archives reserves. i still have it on my shelf

pulled this one last year from one of those 20 pack mixer boxes

this is a ttm on a 1994 archives

this is a ttm i bought for 3 bucks on ebay a couple of years ago
Old 01-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Just realized this card was special..

Have had it 10 years....was given to my dad as a gift from a Topps employee for helping him sell some stuff on eBay....

I figured it was a typical ~300 dollar on card aaron card...boy am I excited..

One of these Aarons sold in 2013 for $2550..

billshofautographs.weebly.com
HOFCollector on YouTube
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Al Richter

Default Aaron

The one on upper left is not as special. It is from the Topps 1994 Archives Gold set and slabbed as 128AU