NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-20-2016, 08:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default 1952 Topps PSA 4 #332 Baritrome

Besides that one weird guy that posted on net54..is there any other reason the bidding is crazy on this ebay listing for a PSA 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...UAAOSwLnlWmIhS

Looks like really between two bidders....I wish I could buy a stock that says this card would go for less than $200 in a year. SMR for a PSA 5 is $140......

Is anyone on net54 that actually bid over $300 for this card and is there anyone out there that knows if that one guy is still buying cards at 3-7x prices...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-20-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:36 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't think it's appropriate to call him a weird guy in a public forum. If I remember he had personal reasons for wanting these cards, like he was related to the player and wanted them for his whole family. Or something along those lines. From the sale price my guess is he was involved in the bidding. Perhaps that card is now hard to find for set builders because of the same guy buying them up so someone else bid it up as well.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM

Saw that too. Pretty sure the card price is driven by that one collector. I remember years back when I needed the 1953 Haddix rc to finish that set. I put ridiculous bid after ridiculous bid in for the card ... and was always the runner up because Gary Alberelli was buying that card as a key piece of the big lots he was selling on Ebay. He thought the card was a key card for the set given the huge prices they were going for. In reality, he was just stopping me from completing my set and I was bidding him through the roof on the card. I finally wrote him and asked him to let me win one, with a promise I wouldn't bid him up in the future. I think the price of the card fell 50% almost immediately!

And I agree with you. I'd short this card like crazy. Although I must admit, I'd interested in seeing how much he'd go for the red overprint version. And if folks don't know what I mean, one of the high number sheets had a run where the red on back was printed in excess, and blurred out most of the white lettering on back. I know there are about 4-5 of these still out there - including the one on Ebay that has been offered at $1,000 for a long time. This card is truly a one of a kind Bartirome card, and happens to be in nice condition. I wonder how high he would go for that!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't think it's appropriate to call him a weird guy in a public forum. If I remember he had personal reasons for wanting these cards, like he was related to the player and wanted them for his whole family. Or something along those lines.
He gave a false name, was discovered to have done internet scams, went to prison for the scams, and then sent threatening emails to members.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:54 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't think it's appropriate to call him a weird guy in a public forum. If I remember he had personal reasons for wanting these cards, like he was related to the player and wanted them for his whole family. Or something along those lines. From the sale price my guess is he was involved in the bidding. Perhaps that card is now hard to find for set builders because of the same guy buying them up so someone else bid it up as well.
set builders with the real money aren't worried about psa 4s...they going for psa 7 + like the top 40 or so registry sets....can find raw cards that grade out as 4s....its not registry people that are interested in that psa 4 I can tell you that.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
delete
I forgot the best part where he threatened to activate his multiple stealth accounts.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

If you look at bidding history, there's an h***h that's won both of the recent Bartirome auctions and he hasn't joined on this party yet.

He won the last two auctions with a late bid:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

and

You can see the current two bidders on this auction r***5 and y***r were involved somewhat in the bidding on the others.

I think this particular 4 will go higher once h***h joins in.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:14 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I forgot the best part where he threatened to activate his multiple stealth accounts.
Yes!! The dreaded stealth accounts. I didn't sleep for days
Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
If you look at bidding history, there's an h***h that's won both of the recent Bartirome auctions and he hasn't joined on this party yet.

He won the last two auctions with a late bid:

and

You can see the current two bidders on this auction r***5 and y***r were involved somewhat in the bidding on the others.

I think this particular 4 will go higher once h***h joins in.
that h***h guy buys a lot of 1952s....
Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He gave a false name, was discovered to have done internet scams, went to prison for the scams, and then sent threatening emails to members.
Are you suggesting that's weird?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:39 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

H**H also bought the raw one for 799

edited: oddly enough of the thousands of 52 topps I've sold, he has never bid or bought anything!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 01-21-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Al Richter

Default Weird

Quote:
Cliff-- everyone makes mistakes, give him some slack

Now, if he was collecting variations I would be right there with you

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-21-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Are you suggesting that's weird?
It got way, way more weird. Personally, I think the guy should be incarcerated before he hurts someone. I think he is a danger to himself and society *(seriously). If anyone saw the emails I got from him I think they would agree. I even contacted authorities about him.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:29 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It got way, way more weird. Personally, I think the guy should be incarcerated before he hurts someone. I think he is a danger to himself and society *(seriously). If anyone saw the emails I got from him I think they would agree. I even contacted authorities about him.
+1 Do we have we have any behavioral or forensic psychologist on the board. His posts were so meticulous and carefully constructed to deceive that I would love to see someone do a profile on him.

Plus, wasn't he all about buying the same card over & over again to inflate the price?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
pokerplayer disagrees with you apparently...
Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It is ok to disagree on the board.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Saw that too. Pretty sure the card price is driven by that one collector. I remember years back when I needed the 1953 Haddix rc to finish that set. I put ridiculous bid after ridiculous bid in for the card ... and was always the runner up because Gary Alberelli was buying that card as a key piece of the big lots he was selling on Ebay. He thought the card was a key card for the set given the huge prices they were going for. In reality, he was just stopping me from completing my set and I was bidding him through the roof on the card. I finally wrote him and asked him to let me win one, with a promise I wouldn't bid him up in the future. I think the price of the card fell 50% almost immediately!

And I agree with you. I'd short this card like crazy. Although I must admit, I'd interested in seeing how much he'd go for the red overprint version. And if folks don't know what I mean, one of the high number sheets had a run where the red on back was printed in excess, and blurred out most of the white lettering on back. I know there are about 4-5 of these still out there - including the one on Ebay that has been offered at $1,000 for a long time. This card is truly a one of a kind Bartirome card, and happens to be in nice condition. I wonder how high he would go for that!

Cheers,
Patrick
Short this card like crazy? Sorry, but does that mean underbid it or purchase as many as you could in order to shorten up supply to increase price?

I wasn't aware of the blurred white lettering so I checked mine and it appears to be OK.

Being relatively new here, I guess, I am finding out all kinds of info about the 52 Topps set, which I appreciate, but is there a site/link, info somewhere that explains all these anomalies/errors or other things about the 52 Topps set that someone fairly new to all this would find very interesting?

Curious, seeing this card graded for what it is, any idea if my card would grade the same or better, or worse? Centering is off on mine but I do believe, overall, mine is in better shape?

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I recently read the bio of Roberto Clemente and Bartirome featured prominently as the team trainer in the 1960s. If the card wasn't so expensive I'd want one just for the interesting back story. Kind of like my favorite 1970s basketball player, Slick Watts, who was short and bald in a league that was neither.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-21-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

[QUOTE=irv;1494243]Short this card like crazy? Sorry, but does that mean underbid it or purchase as many as you could in order to shorten up supply to increase price?

No he is saying the card is going to decrease in price...and if there was a mechanism like the stock market...where you can sell a card now at current price and agree to buy it back in the future ...you would want the future price to be much less than that you are buying it today...that's generally what he means by shorting.....

I think your card is about a psa 3-4 if you want to make anything on the card I would get it graded now and sell it..or maybe put a BIN now it for for 700 or so and see who contacts you...it is very very possible in a year your card may only be worth 75-200 bucks in the open market in a year..
Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

For anyone interested, here is the thread with the guy who was trying to go Hunt Brothers on this card. Spoiler alert: he's not actually related to Bartirome, though if eBay's sold listings are any indication, that hasn't stopped him from paying obscene prices for them.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Al Richter

Default irv

Irv---if you search this forum section for 1952 Topps you will find several discussion of oddities in that set

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172391

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...th-two-mantles
http://aug13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=59354

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-21-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM
D@le Irv*n

[QUOTE=1952boyntoncollector;1494249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Short this card like crazy? Sorry, but does that mean underbid it or purchase as many as you could in order to shorten up supply to increase price?

No he is saying the card is going to decrease in price...and if there was a mechanism like the stock market...where you can sell a card now at current price and agree to buy it back in the future ...you would want the future price to be much less than that you are buying it today...that's generally what he means by shorting.....

I think your card is about a psa 3-4 if you want to make anything on the card I would get it graded now and sell it..or maybe put a BIN now it for for 700 or so and see who contacts you...it is very very possible in a year your card may only be worth 75-200 bucks in the open market in a year..
Thanks for the info 1952, I appreciate it.

Going by the link and the rating this guys card received, I was thinking mine would be at least a 5, but being new to all this and unsure what exactly is used to determine a grading, I will trust that you are likely in the ballpark?
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...UAAOSwLnlWmIhS

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
For anyone interested, here is the thread with the guy who was trying to go Hunt Brothers on this card. Spoiler alert: he's not actually related to Bartirome, though if eBay's sold listings are any indication, that hasn't stopped him from paying obscene prices for them.
Holy crap!! Like what was said when I briefly opened the link, "That guy must have a lot of relatives"!

Does beg the question, if his story is fake, why is he so interested in all the 332's he can get his hands on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Irv---if you search this forum section for 1952 Topps you will find several discussion of oddities in that set

Thanks ALR, I will be sure to check those out,
Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Apparently I stopped following that thread too soon. Sounds like it got interesting and weird. From the other comments it sounds like your assessment of the guy was correct.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

[QUOTE=irv;1494258]
Quote:
Holy crap!! Like what was said when I briefly opened the link, "That guy must have a lot of relatives"!

Does beg the question, if his story is fake, why is he so interested in all the 332's he can get his hands on?
There was some speculation about that towards the end of the thread; if you've got a solid half hour/45 minutes free, it's worth a read. The leading theory seemed to be that 1) he was trying to corner the market on that card, and 2) cornering the market never works out.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

[QUOTE=egri;1494266]
Quote:

There was some speculation about that towards the end of the thread; if you've got a solid half hour/45 minutes free, it's worth a read. The leading theory seemed to be that 1) he was trying to corner the market on that card, and 2) cornering the market never works out.
I never read it yet, but seeing as it is 11 pgs long, I may not, LOL.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:09 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default h***h

h***h has joined the party on that card...
Old 01-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

We really need a popcorn emoticon for occasions such as this.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

amazing Deans card sold his for 1600 or so and a 5.5 a few days sold for 2250..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...p2047675.l2557
Old 01-22-2016, 08:22 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

You know things are getting out of hand if someone's willing to pay Dean's prices.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

X2. Wonder what the draw is to fetch that kind of money? It's a high number, I get that, but seeing this, does that mean all high numbered cards are worth around that in same/similar condition?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
X2. Wonder what the draw is to fetch that kind of money? It's a high number, I get that, but seeing this, does that mean all high numbered cards are worth around that in same/similar condition?
Does't appear so...

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 01-22-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:51 AM
Ryan Waggoner

More on the h***h front, since I haven't seen it here. It may be common knowledge to all of you, but h***h also got this 1952

Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
More on the h***h front, since I haven't seen it here. It may be common knowledge to all of you, but h***h also got this 1952

I wonder how high he was prepared to bid on that card...he has won several of my 52's in 2015 as well....
Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

WOW! h***h has some serious money to play with!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So much for that theory. Still wondering what the draw to that Baritrome card is exactly that would make someone pay over $2,000 for it? What am I missing?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
So much for that theory. Still wondering what the draw to that Baritrome card is exactly that would make someone pay over $2,000 for it? What am I missing?
nothing...theres artificial increase since there is one buyer that appears to want every card but noone knows if that's true now...who knows...but psa 4s were gong for 100 bucks early last year....once the guy stops paying above market the card value will get back to where it will be as no one else values this card more than a high number common...its a pyramid scheme..the moment you pay 1000 for the card..no one will want it except for 100 bucks so you will be out big money. a raw card looks like psa 2-3 on net 54 just sold for 90 bucks last week or so..maybe that guy pays 1000 for it....SMR is still $210 for the psa 6

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-23-2016 at 09:55 AM.