NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Brian Dwyer

Default A Message From REA

To everyone involved in last night's auction as a bidder, consignor, or observer:

In short, we're sorry. Words cannot begin to express the level of frustration that we experienced here at REA, and we know that the same frustration was felt by all of you as you sat down to the auction. It's incredibly disappointing when something doesn't go as planned, especially something that routinely brings great enjoyment to collectors. For that we apologize. We consistently strive for a high level of service and we didn't meet that last night.

I can tell you that we work incredibly hard to deliver the best auctions to the hobby twice, and soon to be three times, a year. We have invested in tremendous people and incredible infrastructure, and last night our IT infrastructure disappointed us and all of you. Despite rigorous testing, we encountered a number of issues at various times throughout the final night. Without getting into too much detail, I can tell you that this was not a bandwidth issue. We know very well what type of traffic to expect, and we build around that, including buffers for when traffic hits multiples of the expected load. Despite the very best planning, these things happen. We've all heard of Wal-Mart's site going down on Black Friday or the IRS site crashing on tax day. These are not planned, and they have to be worked through.

We are not computer experts, and we rely on a team of administrators, programmers, and developers, along with their countless resources, to make sure that things work. When they don't work, we rely on these same people to diagnose and correct any issues that arise. Last night, we were relying on the best available information and the best available advice from these experts and others that we consulted. Decisions were made to bring down the site temporarily around 9 PM to initiate a fix. While it worked for many, we understand that it didn't work perfectly for all.

This is the definition of an imperfect situation because there is no one-size-fits-all solution. For every person who is intently focused on a single item, there is another who has been diligently tracking several dozen. For every person who sets an Honest Auto Bid Sunday evening, there is another who wants to manually place his last bid. There are buyers and consignors on both sides of the coin, and decisions have to be made that are believed to be in the best interest of all.

Extending initial bidding was a necessity due to the timing of the first outage to the site. With this, we are confident that we were able to accommodate nearly everyone who wanted to qualify. The auction opened October 5, and with a record number of bidders involved, we're sure the 23 days of initial bidding was sufficient despite the short outage near the end. We handled scores of phone calls during that outage and manually took bids over the phone and via e-mail from concerned bidders, ensuring that we were able to enter them prior to the initial bidding deadline.

The decision to extend the end of the auction is something that we reserve the right to do when we feel it cannot responsibly be ended as planned. Thankfully, this is an option we've never had to exercise until last night. Again, there is no one-size-fits-all solution to this. The extension caused some great displeasure because they were winning an item or had an item at a good price while others were hugely frustrated because they couldn't get back in to update bids. We made what we believed was the best decision given the situation, and we tried to keep bidders informed as best as possible through e-mails, a fully staffed phone bank, and posts on the board so that they were not in the dark. The additional extensions were made until we could determine that the site was offering uninterrupted access for the overwhelming majority of people for a reasonable amount of time. In our opinion, this was the best way, in light of the undeniably frustrating situation, to end the auction. Pausing the auction or extending it another day, in our opinion, would have led to more confusion and could have worsened the situation. There was literally no perfect solution, despite many thrown around and considered. We made the decision that we did, and we stand by it acknowledging that there are some who disagree. We ask for your faith that we considered all the available information and tried to do what we thought was best.

I want to acknowledge my team in the office who handled themselves with great poise and ability in the face of this situation, and I know many of you spoke to them upon calling into the office. Dean, Tom, Calvin, Bob, Michael, and Paul were doing their best to communicate information, assist bidders, and maintain calm. They did a great job despite being subjected to unbelievable verbal abuse from some customers. Some of the e-mails and phone calls we received last night are among the worst I've ever seen or heard in any situation, and they certainly had no place in sports card auction environment regardless of how frustrating things were getting. No one wanted this to happen less than we did.

We've waived all shipping charges for this auction, which was set to implement a new cost structure for shipping, handling, and insurance. We are already packing and shipping, and will be getting orders out and consignor checks mailed with the same speed you've always known. We are already digging deeply into the situation to ensure this never happens again in any fashion. We appreciate everyone's participation last night, their patience, and their understanding that we tried at every step to make the best decisions. We look forward to putting this behind us and delivering another blockbuster auction in March 2019 that everyone can be excited about and enjoy at the same level they've always known with REA.

Brian
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Kyle May

Thank you very much, Brian.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Brian -

They proactive communication from you and your team was impeccable. You did the best you could do and controlled what you could. Problems happen, but it is how you respond to them... Personally, I think you and your team did a fantastic job under the circumstances.

Best,

Taylor
Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Neal

Great communication on your end, always up to date, only disappointed I didn't win 1 auction :-(
Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Dave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Brian -

They proactive communication from you and your team was impeccable. You did the best you could do and controlled what you could. Problems happen, but it is how you respond to them... Personally, I think you and your team did a fantastic job under the circumstances.

Best,

Taylor
+1
Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Brian, stuff happens. What is most important is that you communicated regularly and often and you did your best under impossible circumstances. No love lost here. My only complaint is that i wish the outages started before I got into a bidding war for Zeenut Claxton!!

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Shit happens...

While it was a nitemare for sure, REA has maintained the dignity that we have come to expect. I received numerous emails detailing the issues to the extent that I felt that the REA Crew was doing everything they could under the most difficult of circumstances. I work in the live event business and I can tell you that things happen, sometimes in a hurry, that simply cannot be accounted for in advance. The risk is always there and nobody thinks about it, except the producers of the live event, until it happens.
My hat is off to you Bryan and the rest of your crew. You will fix it and we will return as we should. Honesty is always the best policy and you have been a good man for standing up and telling the truth...
MPH
Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 AM

Hi, Brian,

Thank you, as always, for the transparency and concern for the service you provide. I can only imagine what a nightmare the slow server situation was for you, your staff, fellow bidders, and consignors. While I cannot speak for others, I can speak for myself and report that when I called REA and spoke with Bob, he was patient, considerate, and concerned that I and others were having problems. He explained what he could and did everything in his power to help me, and I presume others. I know that the rest of the staff extended the same courteous assistance to others as Bob did with me.

My only disappointment is learning that some folks were disrespectful and hateful in their emails/calls to the office. That kind of behavior has no place in this arena, something we call a hobby. I am sorry you and the staff had to endure other people's bad behavior.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Brian -

Best,

Taylor
I agree with this 100%. Great job by the whole team
Old 10-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Bry@n

I agree that abuse for this type of thing is totally uncalled for, shame on those people. As has been stated, $hit happens and making the best of it doesn't involve being a jerk to people who are doing their best to fix something that is beyond their control or ability to plan for. I like Brian and I like REA.

With that said, free shipping for winners is a nice gesture for their annoyance but a bit misplaced. The winners only could have benefited from the website problem keeping competing bids away - at best the site issues had a neutral effect and winners paid what they would have anyway, at worst, there were tens of thousands of dollars of bids not placed. The people who were annoyed and also may well have lost money here are the consignors and REA, the bidders only could have come out ahead or paid what they would have anyway.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I didn't win anything. Do I also get free shipping?
"Doable free shipping."
Whoah.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Tom Boblitt

Thanks for the explanation and being up front with everyone. Obviously, some people confronted this situation with the same finesse and care that they probably confront many of the other situations in their lives, their family, kids and many of their other social interactions. Crazy, crazy stuff. Hope you got some rest at some point and know you're working hard to eliminate the possibility of a similar occurrence.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Hi, Brian,

Thank you, as always, for the transparency and concern for the service you provide. I can only imagine what a nightmare the slow server situation was for you, your staff, fellow bidders, and consignors. While I cannot speak for others, I can speak for myself and report that when I called REA and spoke with Bob, he was patient, considerate, and concerned that I and others were having problems. He explained what he could and did everything in his power to help me, and I presume others. I know that the rest of the staff extended the same courteous assistance to others as Bob did with me.

My only disappointment is learning that some folks were disrespectful and hateful in their emails/calls to the office. That kind of behavior has no place in this arena, something we call a hobby. I am sorry you and the staff had to endure other people's bad behavior.

Cheers,
Mike
Well said. I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:00 PM

I appreciated their attempts to fix it behind the scenes and updating us to the best of their abilities.

Ricky Y
Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Steve

Errors and mistakes happen. What's important is being open and honest about them and then taking steps to learn and improve from those mistakes.

It sounds like Brian and the team are on track on all of these.

Much appreciated.
Steve
Old 10-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Greg Mitchell

Nevertheless, will probably be consigning again for March. See you soon, Brian!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Seth

As usual, and as even this shows, this is the best auction house in the business. I look forward to the next auction.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Message from REA

Man you guys screwed up. Go back to the old days when I could stay up till 5:45 AM and kick ass. I would out wait those guys and would win every time. It was a challenge but I loved it. Look at Mile High...still doing the same way and no complaints. Stop trying to fix it, if it works. You got the moaners out there who complained about staying up too late....tough....it worked.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Joe Drelich

Default Rea fall auction

Brian and the entire team at REA are first class ! They have proven it once
again with how they handled a difficult situation last night.

www.phillyshow.com

www.csashows.com

www.ecsmsports.com
Old 10-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I placed my MAX BID and sat on it days beforehand. Didn't have to worry about sleep at all. In the end, I still WON.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 10-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreat14 View Post
Man you guys screwed up. Go back to the old days when I could stay up till 5:45 AM and kick ass. I would out wait those guys and would win every time. It was a challenge but I loved it. Look at Mile High...still doing the same way and no complaints. Stop trying to fix it, if it works. You got the moaners out there who complained about staying up too late....tough....it worked.
You want to give an opinion, awesome. Please put your full name next to your post per the rules....and for the record I like the way they close now better than before because of people like you. ....There is no harm in staying up all night but there is no need to either.

And I too think REA did as well, or better, as could be expected under the circumstances. There is no playbook for that sort of thing. Good job by Brian and team....

Last edited by Leon; 10-29-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You want to give an opinion, awesome. Please put your full name next to your post per the rules....and for the record like the way they close now better than before because of people like you. ....There is no harm in staying up all night but there is no need to either.

And I too think REA did as well, or better, as could be expected under the circumstances. There is no playbook for that sort of thing. Good job by Brian and team....
Agreed...I should NOT be penalized because I live on the east coast!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Todd

Hiccups happen is business. You've handled this situation with a proactive and professional posture. Hold your chin up Brian.

Let's look forward with anticipation and positivity for the next auction.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Agreed...I should NOT be penalized because I live on the east coast!
so you got a catalog this year?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
You want to give an opinion, awesome. Please put your full name next to your post per the rules....and for the record I like the way they close now better than before because of people like you. ....There is no harm in staying up all night but there is no need to either.

At first, I thought he was bein joking/sarcastic but wasn't so sure as it went along.

Though I no longer collect/bid-- as a late night person and a West Coaster, even I thought it was ridiculous how late (early) the auctions went to.

Last edited by drcy; 10-29-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Brian that explanation and customer friendly attitude is the type of response I look for when doing any type of business with people. Great job and I look forward to bidding and possibly consigning to REA in the near future.

Thanks,

Bob I.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Todd Schultz

I forgive but I don't forget. There were a good half-dozen items I was precluded from chasing because of the snafus. It's left a bad taste. I would expect not only an explanation of how the problem will be addressed so that it does not happen again,but also a stated policy, well in advance, as to how the auction will be handled if somehow it does. Otherwise, I'll watch from afar. Nothing personal.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I forgive but I don't forget. There were a good half-dozen items I was precluded from chasing because of the snafus. It's left a bad taste. I would expect not only an explanation of how the problem will be addressed so that it does not happen again,but also a stated policy, well in advance, as to how the auction will be handled if somehow it does. Otherwise, I'll watch from afar. Nothing personal.
I am thrilled to have less competition, and I hope more people take your position.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Todd Schultz

And I'm happy for you too.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

i think cgreat14 is kidding...i wonder what number 14 on the name references..perhaps a football or baseball great?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I agree that it would be reasonable to lay out some sort of plan with some guidelines that would dictate whether more time would be added in the evening or if the auction would be extended to another day as well as when extended bidding would start. It can never cover all bases, but could provide some sort of direction for the future.

I also wonder whether there's a way to open up an alternative avenue for bidding (via text maybe?) that can be used if the internet is down.

Just a couple of thoughts. I do think it was handled well given the circumstances.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Ken McMillan

Great auction, no issues with me
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

It was a nightmare for me trying to get my bids in. I also didn’t like how on the emails you kept saying even though there are technical issues we will NOT go past 12... the next email said 12:30 and then it stayed open till 3 or something.
Maybe switch to the website that Goldin uses. Simple auctions sites. REA website has an outdated feel to it. And I hate to criticize but if your selling 20 million a year or so you should spend a lot more on your website. I doubt this issue ever happened with Heritage.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I heard from a bidder that Goldin has had its own auction software issues.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:24 AM
D@rek H.ogue

For whatever it is worth I just want to say I feel badly for the people who struggled with the website and felt it effected their interests and I mean that with absolute sincerity. For Brian Dwyer I know this must have felt like a dagger through his heart because he cares so deeply about what he is doing in this hobby.

It was a surprising experience for me on Sunday night because quite honestly my time with REA and Brian has always been a bed of roses and I am so grateful for the way I am treated. This was an unusual issue and I know Brian and his team must have done everything in their power to correct this and keep things running as smoothly as possible under the circumstance. This all happened at the most inopportune time one can possibly imagine and sometimes there is simply nothing which can be done to fix the situation when the event is live, despite ones absolute efforts.

I know this was frustrating for many but speaking only for myself, I do not personally feel this is damning simply because this was an honest mistake and not an issue of Brian doing anything with evil spirits or ripping people off. I TRULY believe Brian Dwyer to be one of the good guys in this hobby and it seems many here share in this feeling. I have lots of confidence this will not be an issue in the future.

In any event, I feel very badly to see some of my fellow collectors frustrated, but based on everything I have ever seen of Brian and REA this will be corrected. I will continue to bid and consign in the future, and I will do so with great confidence despite what happened, which is regrettable.

On a side note, and with no intention of trying to analyze the effects of the website issues on bidding and pricing, T206 prices were by and large extremely impressive and many things I was hunting ended up at prices far above where I hoped to acquire them. It was a spectacular offering for those who enjoy the backs, with many ridiculously hard to find pieces.

Honesty and integrity mean everything when we are spending our hard earned money or parting with things which are special to us, and Brian and REA will continue to deliver on that for us.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:20 AM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

This is exactly why I don't wait until the last minute to place bids. I had all my max bids placed days before the final call. No late nights or babysitting for me! I set my bids and forget all about the auction until the morning after.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
We've waived all shipping charges for this auction, which was set to implement a new cost structure for shipping, handling, and insurance.
And that had slipped right past me.

Was used to the 20% including the S&H, so I didn't notice anything different in the invoice.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 AM

I won the Sporting Life lot

so the waived shipping and handling is like winning the lottery.

I was locked out for a few hours but I had set my max bid earlier in the day and had decided to let it ride...I anticipated on being outbid
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Henry Levy

REA is a class act and they keep proving it in the most trying circumstances. Sorry to hear about the abusive comments hurled at them, but those are nothing compared to things I kept shouting at my computer and iPhone as I tried to increase my bids.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
This is exactly why I don't wait until the last minute to place bids. I had all my max bids placed days before the final call. No late nights or babysitting for me! I set my bids and forget all about the auction until the morning after.
That's great, but if you're juggling a budget sometimes it's just not possible.

I've been on the same end of this problem as Brian as an auctioneer, with a different service, and I have to tell you it's one of the worst feelings you can imagine. EVERYBODY is mad, the next day people who didn't realize there was a problem take THEIR turn getting mad. There's nothing you can do but be as fair as possible to all involved. Basically try to keep the playing field as level as you can so everyone suffers or benefits equally.

I think anyone who has dealt with Brian appreciates what a positive force he is in a hobby that desperately needs more like him.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-30-2018, 08:43 AM

I received my winning lot today by far the fastest I’ve ever received any item in any auction. Great job by REA
Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Hi, Brian,

Cheers,
Mike
+1.

I self-censored my comments about how this is reflective of the mean and hateful diatribes we are enduring in today's society these days.
Brian, sorry you had to endure this.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Ed McCollum

Default I got my payment yesterday

Was truly not expected for at least a week or more. First time I've ever sold an item through REA, if I ever sell again, they would be my first contact. Thanks to Brian for all he does.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Brian's post was excellent. Could be a case study on how to deal with a problem like this. Apologize and take it head on. Well done on the communication front. On the other hand, I'm a little perplexed by all the people offering congratulations and massive pats on the back. This was a huge issue going to the absolute core of their business. I'm not sure any major league kudos are in order here. Their site is not Amazon. They don't have a gazillion people logging in from around the world. The fact that their platform cratered seems to suggest to me at minimum a lack of diligence on selecting that hosting company.

Honesty is very important in this game. I get that. And their honesty counts for a ton. But it doesn't mean everything.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:34 AM
D@ve Se@born

Default Wow that's fast delivery!

Just now, I was pulling out of my driveway to go to send off payment for REA and was met by a Fed Ex truck with my auction winnings. It's only been a day and a half since the auction ended and I haven't even paid yet! Very impressive delivery.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:28 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
Just now, I was pulling out of my driveway to go to send off payment for REA and was met by a Fed Ex truck with my auction winnings. It's only been a day and a half since the auction ended and I haven't even paid yet! Very impressive delivery.
Same here David - Brian and REA have handled a no-win situation as well as anyone could ask for.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

How are you guys getting your item(s) so fast????
I sent a email to Brian about possible Wire transfer...which I never have done.
As I look more into it, I wont be able to, since you need to visit the bank it seems for me and cost 20-40 dollars---pass.
So, its back to the send a check in and wait..which they can hold till its clear.
Now,please answer how elese its possible for me?? Does Brian take Paypal???
Just wondering about speeding up the process.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Sean Costello

REA doesn't take paypal. And if it helps, I sent a check and am waiting, just like you.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
REA doesn't take paypal. And if it helps, I sent a check and am waiting, just like you.
Well boo hoo.... at least you're waiting for something....
Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Well boo hoo.... at least you're waiting for something....
That's true, I did much better that I expected.