NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-08-2017, 12:28 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Cards to pennants and other memorabilia

I haven't ventured over on this side of the board much. However, I am getting increasingly interested in memorabilia like pennants and programs. Are there very many of you memorabilia guys who once were card collectors? I am not really looking to get rid of my cards, but I might like to do a little something different. Anyway, your insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Were once?

I've dabbled in pretty much anything baseball I can find for a long time. Not at all an expert on most of it, but I have a few of most things. Still do cards too.

Steve B
Old 01-08-2017, 01:17 PM

I started out with cards, and a card shop I patronized some years back sometimes offered non-card memorabilia such as vintage scorecards, programs, pinback buttons, pennants, ticket stubs, etc. Before long, I started to like that stuff more than cards, mostly because those items were more varied in type and appearance and many were part of the game itself because they were part of the fan experience at stadiums. I find a lot of that conveys more of the feel of the experience and history of the game. If you want to branch out beyond cards, I would suggest you start with items connected with a particular player or team and get a sampling of the types of items that strike you as the most interesting and appealing. Go with your gut and what makes you smile. To start with, you don't have to sink a lot of cash into finding some neat items that will be new to you but common to more advanced collectors. Some of the coolest items can be very affordable just because they're not very rare.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Default from a team collector

I collect St. Louis Cardinals cards and memorabilia. I keep my cards organized by year in binders and include ticket stub, scorecard ,schedule, team photo and other items from that year that fit in a binder. I also have a mancave to display pennants, bobbleheads, jerseys etc.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Mike H.

While I still have a ton of cards, I don't buy them any longer and have little interest in them since my switched to memorabilia exclusively.

I love that memorabilia is so varied, not all about a grade assigned by a third party, displayable, part of the player/fan experience, and just plain fun to look at, hunt for, and discover. I look at much of the early pieces I collect as art.

If you search, every day you can find a piece you didn't know existed. It's great fun to mix different types of memorabilia into a display that focuses on whatever you may choose, such as a team, player, era, or form (pennants, pins, figural pieces, and equipment for me).

Since most generalist antique dealers don't know the market for memorabilia and because there aren't monthly price guides, I believe there are far more bargains to be found as well.

Last edited by mjkm90; 01-08-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:52 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I started out with cards, and a card shop I patronized some years back sometimes offered non-card memorabilia such as vintage scorecards, programs, pinback buttons, pennants, ticket stubs, etc. Before long, I started to like that stuff more than cards, mostly because those items were more varied in type and appearance and many were part of the game itself because they were part of the fan experience at stadiums. I find a lot of that conveys more of the feel of the experience and history of the game. If you want to branch out beyond cards, I would suggest you start with items connected with a particular player or team and get a sampling of the types of items that strike you as the most interesting and appealing. Go with your gut and what makes you smile. To start with, you don't have to sink a lot of cash into finding some neat items that will be new to you but common to more advanced collectors. Some of the coolest items can be very affordable just because they're not very rare.
Thanks to those of you who have replied thus far. This post actually sums up what I have been thinking. I have pretty much always been a baseball guy. I will always continue to buy and keep baseball items. However, what I didn't mention in my OP was that branching out in memorabilia isn't the only change I find myself considering going through. I have become really interested in the American Football League (AFL) from the '60s. In addition to reading books about the AFL, I recently purchased a complete set of '65 Topps football and a partial set of '66 Topps football (22 commons shy of completion). These sets are 100% AFL focused, which turns off some collectors.

For better or for worse (usually worse ) I have been a Chargers fan since I was 8 years old. Lately I have been seeing some really nice '60s AFL Chargers (as well as other teams) programs and pennants for sale. The colors and artwork, especially logos are beautiful to me. I have been thinking that these items and maybe even some '60s bobbleheads might be a really cool and different way to go. I do have some game worn/autographed Chargers items from the '90s that could kinda sorta fit in with this.

Cardswin53 mentioned collecting Cardinals stuff. Well, I am a Cardinals baseball fan, too. Programs, pennants, bobbleheads, photos, etc. might be a fun way to go there as well. I also find myself drawn towards Cleveland Indians and Boston/Milwaukee Braves pennants from the 1950s and back. I think the visual appeal of the big Braves and Indians headdresses are absolutely awesome!

I really enjoy seeing the items you all come up with...they are inspiring! You guys are so passionate and knowledgeable! It will take a while for me to swallow the price of the '65 and '66 football sets in all honesty, but after that I hope to be a meaningful contributor to this board sharing my own memorabilia purchases. Thanks again!

Robert
Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
While I still have a ton of cards, I don't buy them any longer and have little interest in them since my switched to memorabilia exclusively.

I love that memorabilia is so varied, not all about a grade assigned by a third party, displayable, part of the player/fan experience, and just plain fun to look at, hunt for, and discover. I look at much of the early pieces I collect as art.

If you search, every day you can find a piece you didn't know existed. It's great fun to mix different types of memorabilia into a display that focuses on whatever you may choose, such as a team, player, era, or form (pennants, pins, figural pieces, and equipment for me).

Since most generalist antique dealers don't know the market for memorabilia and because there aren't monthly price guides, I believe there are far more bargains to be found as well.
Hey, Mike, I didn't see your post until after I posted. I can relate to a lot of what you said. I do get a little tired of the seemingly constant concern with the numerical grades of cards and the associated relative worth. Before I started this thread, I had went back and reread a lot of past Net54 posts with the same sentiments. Sometimes I think that once I have a sampling of cards from an era, I don't feel the need any longer to acquire more or "all of them." I am starting to want something a little less...scripted. Just a quick ebay search has revealed a whole new world to me...an exciting, overwhelming world
Old 01-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Mike H.

I'm glad you are fired up Robert!

You mentioned programs and pennants as potential areas of interest for you. Do you have a team, player, or era you are most interested in?

You mentioned football. I love football and have often felt the urge to dive into football memorabilia collecting, but finances and space have helped curb my enthusiasm. That being said, I have made football purchases on when I have stumbled upon a bargain I could flip to fund my baseball collection
Old 01-08-2017, 04:57 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I'm glad you are fired up Robert!

You mentioned programs and pennants as potential areas of interest for you. Do you have a team, player, or era you are most interested in?

You mentioned football. I love football and have often felt the urge to dive into football memorabilia collecting, but finances and space have helped curb my enthusiasm. That being said, I have made football purchases on when I have stumbled upon a bargain I could flip to fund my baseball collection
I will always have baseball in my collection. I am a Cardinals fan, and I also like the look of the Indians and Braves pennants for starters. Regarding football, I am really interested in the 19 60s AFL, especially the Los Angeles, San Diego, Los Angeles again Chargers. Later this year, I would like to buy some pennants, programs, etc. In doing some reading on the AFL, it was colorful and exciting!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Mike H.

There are a ton of great Cardinals pieces to collect Robert...pinbacks, pennants, advertising, and even some figural pieces.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
There are a ton of great Cardinals pieces to collect Robert...pinbacks, pennants, advertising, and even some figural pieces.
Yep -- one of the best franchises to collect as there have been so many items produced for them over the years. Many variations of pennants, pinbacks, etc. I've even got some Cards pinbacks and I'm not even a fan of the team. Cool stuff.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Yep -- one of the best franchises to collect as there have been so many items produced for them over the years. Many variations of pennants, pinbacks, etc. I've even got some Cards pinbacks and I'm not even a fan of the team. Cool stuff.
Yep, Cardinals and AFL will probably represent most of the memorabilia that I purchase...along with an Indians/Braves pennant. They are cool! I feel like it is good to have a focus going in because I otherwise might just lose my mind trying to buy everything. That being said, if I were to come across something visually appealing to me and within budget, I would buy it.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Joe

Good Luck Robert. Have fun! We look forward to seeing some your memorabilia pick ups soon.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Yep, Cardinals and AFL will probably represent most of the memorabilia that I purchase...along with an Indians/Braves pennant. They are cool! I feel like it is good to have a focus going in because I otherwise might just lose my mind trying to buy everything. That being said, if I were to come across something visually appealing to me and within budget, I would buy it.
The st. louis cardinals programs are some of the nicest looking programs out there. I tie them with the cubs for the coolest looking ones 47-56. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
The st. louis cardinals programs are some of the nicest looking programs out there. I tie them with the cubs for the coolest looking ones 47-56. Good luck!
Agreed. I would also toss in Philadelphia Athletics programs...I like them a lot too.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Agreed. I would also toss in Philadelphia Athletics programs...I like them a lot too.
So many from many teams are cool. The variety of Tigers' programs with the tiger on the front come to mind. The thing about scorecards and programs is that, whether artistically pleasing or not, they are a snapshot into not only the team and players on the field, but they also give you a sense of the era and culture of the city through the advertisements and photos.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:00 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I always had cards as a kid but I also had media guides and yearbooks (the NY Islanders and Mets that I remember) which I loved reading while I ate breakfast. After college (1986) a buddy and I started buying card collections and doing card shows. We stopped when I moved for my job. I enjoyed the cards but got back into the publications in the late 80's. I found that it was easier to buy memorabilia and publications because there were no price guides and they were not as condition sensitive. I also liked that a publication had all of the players photos, historical information and the period related advertising.

If you are focused, you can find great deals on eBay and also learn a lot by searching completed items. In a few months, you will have a pretty good knowledge base of what is out there and how much it should cost. I think that you will find that the Cardinals items will be more affordable and readily available. The AFL has a big following and you will definitely find more competition and higher prices for those items.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I always had cards as a kid but I also had media guides and yearbooks (the NY Islanders and Mets that I remember) which I loved reading while I ate breakfast. After college (1986) a buddy and I started buying card collections and doing card shows. We stopped when I moved for my job. I enjoyed the cards but got back into the publications in the late 80's. I found that it was easier to buy memorabilia and publications because there were no price guides and they were not as condition sensitive. I also liked that a publication had all of the players photos, historical information and the period related advertising.

If you are focused, you can find great deals on eBay and also learn a lot by searching completed items. In a few months, you will have a pretty good knowledge base of what is out there and how much it should cost. I think that you will find that the Cardinals items will be more affordable and readily available. The AFL has a big following and you will definitely find more competition and higher prices for those items.

Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff, I have already noticed the AFL publications are somewhat more pricey than other items I like. I agree with you that it is a matter of just shopping around and learning the market. I also like what you mentioned regarding the absence of price guides and matters of condition being a bit more in the eye of the beholder.

When I dig myself out of paying for those two AFL football sets, I will be dipping my toe in the water with some pennants or programs. They are just so attractive. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Rob

Non-card memorabilia is where it's at! Just stay away from NY/SF Giants...I don't need the competition.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:01 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Non-card memorabilia is where it's at! Just stay away from NY/SF Giants...I don't need the competition.
With the exception of the occasional Willie Mays item, you have my word!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Well, I might someday get really froggy and buy something of the Christian Gentleman Big Six, but other than that... Good luck in your collecting!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Memorabilia

While I do like an occasional card or two I really enjoy the memorabilia side of the hobby. Also, the more you get into it the more items you find that are out there. I agree what others have said in regard to publications, pennants, etc., but I would also add at least a sign or stadium seat from one of your favorite stadiums as well. I really enjoy displaying the items picked up and you get to view them on a consistent basis.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
While I do like an occasional card or two I really enjoy the memorabilia side of the hobby. Also, the more you get into it the more items you find that are out there. I agree what others have said in regard to publications, pennants, etc., but I would also add at least a sign or stadium seat from one of your favorite stadiums as well. I really enjoy displaying the items picked up and you get to view them on a consistent basis.
And add game used and game worn items to the list, although it takes time to get to feel somewhat comfortable delving into that niche.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Mark, I hadn't thought of stadium signage. That is a cool idea. One thing that appeals to me about the memorabilia side of things is that the items are actual, tangible stuff. Not that cards aren't but some memorabilia items just have an existence all their own in that they're aren't part of a set or listed in a price guide. In some circumstances, the pieces were actually part of the game/team/player.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
And add game used and game worn items to the list, although it takes time to get to feel somewhat comfortable delving into that niche.
I actually do have a couple of game worn football items and would like to eventually have more.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the participation in this thread. It is a lot of fun for me. You guys are a good combination of knowledgeable and laid back. It is fun learning your collecting stories and outlooks. As we go through life, we all have the fingerprints of others all over us. I choose to think our collecting lives are no different.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Jeff Lazarus

For years I only collected cards but more recently began buying other items and finding those much more interesting.

The bulk of my "non-card" collecting is in 2 areas:
1) Team signed baseballs from historic events/teams such the US Tours of Japan, Integration and WWII baseball.

2) Signed line-up cards - Every game each manager writes one along (with 2 carbon copies). It's a pretty unique idea linked to a very specific moment in baseball history, and one that seems to have a pretty limited following (thankfully).

In the word of memorabilia, there are so many different interesting directions one can pursue.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

This one was literally just listed on ebay (not my listing...)

Since you said you're interested in Chargers and AFL Pennants, I'm pasting the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Diego-Ch...4AAOSwjDZYeSUQ

This is my personal favorite Chargers Pennant.

Here's another that's pretty nice...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Diego-Ch...3D142244510959

Bittersweet, as they just confirmed their move to LA (BOO!) But hope this helps, none the less!

Last edited by perezfan; 01-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:09 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
I haven't ventured over on this side of the board much. However, I am getting increasingly interested in memorabilia like pennants and programs. Are there very many of you memorabilia guys who once were card collectors? I am not really looking to get rid of my cards, but I might like to do a little something different. Anyway, your insight would be appreciated.

Hi Robert,

I got into cards early, as a 5 year old buying '75 Topps. If the company could make '75 Topps wallpaper I'd blanket the house with it. I bowed out when the grading stuff happened and drifted towards pennants, purely for the beauty of them.

Here's my favorite Indians pennant. To think that some kid (now about 75 years old) probably bought this for a quarter, got mustard all over it, and then threw it away ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1743.jpg (61.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:47 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Since you said you're interested in Chargers and AFL Pennants, I'm pasting the link...

Bittersweet, as they just confirmed their move to LA (BOO!) But hope this helps, none the less!
Wow, those are nice! Thanks for seeing them.

I am an out of state Chargers fan, but feel for the fans in SD. I am concerned they aren't wanted in LA and detest the idea of rebranding.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:49 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Hi Robert,

I got into cards early, as a 5 year old buying '75 Topps. If the company could make '75 Topps wallpaper I'd blanket the house with it. I bowed out when the grading stuff happened and drifted towards pennants, purely for the beauty of them.

Here's my favorite Indians pennant. To think that some kid (now about 75 years old) probably bought this for a quarter, got mustard all over it, and then threw it away ....
Great pennants! Thanks for sharing your experience and your pennants. I am hoping to venture in later this year.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Hi Robert,

Greg is being very modest...

That's like the only one known to mankind, and is as rare as it is visually stunning. Wish we knew why some pennants are so much rarer than others... but regardless, this one is the "Poster Boy" for that mystery.

Gotta include this emoji as well .... It means I am very jealous
Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Both are cool pennants and both can be had much cheaper than being asked for in those listings. I picked up the first one a while back for $60. The seller might want to add a "best offer" option if he wants to sell that any time soon...especially with the missing tip.

I'm surprised to see that one of that version recently sold for $350 though. It was in much better condition. But it's still not a $350 pennant. It wouldn't take you long to find one that could be had for less than $100.

The helmet pennant can be had for $50 or less most times.

This person got a pretty good deal, despite the small chunk missing by the tip...

http://r.ebay.com/y7DwcK

Last edited by Fballguy; 01-15-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Rob

Quote:
Wow, those are nice! Thanks for seeing them.

I am an out of state Chargers fan, but feel for the fans in SD. I am concerned they aren't wanted in LA and detest the idea of rebranding.

As a lifelong Rams fan...Welcome back to L.A. May your first season in the City of Angels go as swimmingly as ours.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Rob

Here's another rare Chargers pennant that went for a great price due to minor damage. Looked to be in great condition otherwise. The hole gave me cold feet though so I passed.

http://r.ebay.com/X9GxRa
Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Rob

Wish I had seen this one before it was too late....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-AFL-All...p2047675.l2557
Old 01-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Rob

Missed out on this one too...darn it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Oakl...p2047675.l2557

Ok...I'll stop.