NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Default REA-auction lot#298 partner

Hello all

I would love a card or two in the upcoming rea lot #298 t206 errors...(i really would love the whole lot, but with rea one never knows)......

i may take a good run at the whole lot, but wanted to see if anyone might want to partner, talk, etc....

lmk

thanks

Johnny
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default *** Official REA Partnering Thread ***

I've seen a couple posts like this on the board already so I thought I'd try to compile everything here.

Here are a few I'd be interested in. The z18s, Orange Borders and e90-3s would be my favorites -

#162 - 15 e90-3s
#194 - 8 e97 B&Ws
#356 - 15 Orange Borders
#529 - z19 Near-set (maybe the z20 and z11 groups too)
#530 - 60 z18s
#588 - 13 Oxfords

Thanks much,
Brian
Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Sporting News

I'm looking for partners in the large m101-4/5 group of 105 SGC graded (lot 563), and also would be willing to pay for some of the nicer m101-4/5 cards in lot 568 (near complete set). Please don't make me beg.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I don't plan on going after the 1911 Zeenut lot but I would like to pick up a few from that lot should someone want to pursue them.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Todd Schultz

Default e254

I would also be interested in buying a chunk of the LOT 371: 1909-1911 E254 Colgan's Chips Collection (119 cards).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Todd, there are 4-5 cards I could use from that lot if you get a group together (not enough for me to make a run on the group myself).

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-16-2011, 02:32 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

As a newbie, I'm curious to know how the partnering usually works. How do you decide who places the bids? How do you jointly decide upon the maximum bid price on the lot? How do you decide the cost you will share if you still don't know how much the lot will close for? If the lot is a bunch of commons and a key HOF, how do you decide how much of the cost the person getting the HOF should cover?

All tips and advice are welcome.

Here are the lots I know I'm interested in, but I haven't got my catalog and pored over every lot yet, so there could be more.

Lot 356 - Orange Borders - Carrigan and Stahl
Lot 297 - T206 Rare Backs - Carrigan Broadleaf

-Jonathan
Old 04-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Brian, I would be interested in a card or two from Lot #194. Thanks Joey
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Delete

Last edited by Brian Campf; 08-25-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Jonathan

Quote:
As a newbie, I'm curious to know how the partnering usually works. How do you decide who places the bids? How do you jointly decide upon the maximum bid price on the lot? How do you decide the cost you will share if you still don't know how much the lot will close for? If the lot is a bunch of commons and a key HOF, how do you decide how much of the cost the person getting the HOF should cover?
There are of course many ways to approach it, but I'll give you some generalities on some deals where I have participated. I have not been in any large consortia, which may have its own dynamic. For smaller groups, you set a max price that you're willing to go, and commit to shares (not necessarily equal) of that price. The collectors then piece out what cards they must have as part of their take and divvy up the rest in a manner they all find acceptable. In your example, one guy might insist on the HOFer and may not get much else and/or may have to be flexible, and of course may end up paying just as much as others depending on the HOFer--everyone prices these out in their own minds to make sure they're getting their desired value. I've also been part of a winning lot where we had kind of a "draft" of the residual or common players--I pick Betzel, you take Weilman, my turn again, etc.

When the price approaches or exceeds your max, you need to have everyone on board as to what happens next. You pick someone as bidder at the outset, and stay in pretty regular contact, especially of course auction night. Obviously, trust and familiarity go a long way. You have a bidding strategy--maybe enter a block bid or jump a few spots beyond the next increment so that the opponent will have to exceed your max to go in the lead. You confirm beforehand that if your max is topped, who in your group is out and whether/should the group continue--if so, someone or all may have to commit more $$$ to the project. It can get frenzied but not in my experience--again, if you know your "partners" there is a comfort level that can make these things go very smoothly.

I'm probably leaving out a bunch of things but there's a starting point.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Scott R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post

All tips and advice are welcome.

Here are the lots I know I'm interested in, but I haven't got my catalog and pored over every lot yet, so there could be more.

Lot 356 - Orange Borders - Carrigan and Stahl
Lot 297 - T206 Rare Backs - Carrigan Broadleaf

-Jonathan
Save some Carrigans for the rest of us!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Rawn Hill

Default Rea

So now everyone is on my bandwagon. Look for mine in the Live auctions coming up soon.

Rawn
Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Default 1912 Zeenut lot

I would love to buy the 1912 Berry and Boles Zeenuts in this lot:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=18796

I will pay extremely well for these two cards, so I can finish my run of catcher pose cards in this set.

If someone wins this set and already has these cards, I'd like to buy the duplicates.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Bill T.

Default REA Rose PCs

If anyone is going after the lot of Rose PCs (lot 722) I could take a couple off your hands: the Milan and any one other Washington player.

Bill
Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I'm interested in the San Antonio Broncho cards from the T210 Series 3 lot,
and also some of the Los Angeles cards in the T212 lots.

Steve
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty21690 View Post
Save some Carrigans for the rest of us!
So you too can drown out the sorrows of a 2-10 start by buying vintage RS cards?

Last edited by Collect Equity; 04-16-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: To add a smiley
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Scott R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
So you too can drown out the sorrows of a 2-10 start by buying vintage RS cards?
That about sums it up!

EDIT: By the way, I LOVE that card in your avatar!

Last edited by scotty21690; 04-16-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 PM

I need 4 cards from the 1911 Zeenut lot to complete my set. I was planning on trying to win the whole lot and selling off all but the 4 so I would be interested in partnering if 54ers are interested.
tbob
Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
TT40391

Default Interested in Louisville Old Judges

If anyone needs a little extra money chipped in on the old judge lot in REA I am trying to pick up at least one whole Louisville card that isn't trimmed etc. I am very interested in the Scott Stratton card especially. If anyone is bidding on the lot and would like a little extra money chipped in I am interested in any of the Louisville cards in it. Email me at wacturner@hotmail.com
if interested in the help. The whole lot is way out of my pay grade as they say.

Tony Turner
Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Michael S

Default T 207 Lot

If anyone wins this lot:

LOT 119: 1912 T207 Brown Background Rarities: SGC-Graded Collection (25)

I would be very interested in the Bushelman (SGC 20) from the lot. I could also partner to help with the lot if needed. Thanks, Michael

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 04-17-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I'm interested in the San Antonio Broncho cards from the T210 Series 3 lot,
and also some of the Los Angeles cards in the T212 lots.

Steve
I'm also interested in all or some of the Houston cards from the T210 lot. Anyone else collecting Series 3?

Last edited by rdixon1208; 04-17-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Lot 297

I would be interested in the Perry Lipe Brown Hindu from Lot 297. Please let me know if you would like to partner on this one, thanks.

Mark
Old 04-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
I'm also interested in all or some of the Houston cards from the T210 lot. Anyone else collecting Series 3?
I'd be interested in the Dallas cards.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I am intersted in the T210-3, I need a bunch and im open on the teams.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm no lawyer, but isn't this collusion? I know it's been going on with this forum forever, but I've always been a bit curious about that...I know that if you go to an auction you can not sit there and make deals with people to not bid on this and they won't bid on that.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm no lawyer, but isn't this collusion? I know it's been going on with this forum forever, but I've always been a bit curious about that...I know that if you go to an auction you can not sit there and make deals with people to not bid on this and they won't bid on that.
What you described is collusion (whether it is in person or virtual). What happens here is not. Many cases where people team up it is because they can't afford to pursue the lot on their own and so by having them as part of the bidding pool through this kind of thread it's actually accomplishing the exact opposite of what collusion does for the consignor.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What you described is collusion (whether it is in person or virtual). What happens here is not. Many cases where people team up it is because they can't afford to pursue the lot on their own and so by having them as part of the bidding pool through this kind of thread it's actually accomplishing the exact opposite of what collusion does for the consignor.
If I'm at an auction and there is a box of cards is it legal for me to tell my bidding nemisis that I won't bid if he'll split the cards with me after the auction?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
If I'm at an auction and there is a box of cards is it legal for me to tell my bidding nemisis that I won't bid if he'll split the cards with me after the auction?
I'm pretty sure that's collusion, but again, that's not analogous. What if we met at auction and started talking about a lot and we each observe that it's too bad because it has some really cool cards and there's no way we could win it individually, at which point, you propose the brilliant idea of pooling our money to go after the lot. Not only is that not collusion, it's desirable to the consignor.

To put a finer point on it, I believe it is only collusion if all participating parties initially had intent to go after the full lot.

Last edited by Matt; 04-18-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm pretty sure that's collusion, but again, that's not analogous. What if we met at auction and started talking about a lot and we each observe that it's too bad because it has some really cool cards and there's no way we could win it individually, at which point, you propose the brilliant idea of pooling our money to go after the lot. Not only is that not collusion, it's desirable to the consignor.

To put a finer point on it, I believe it is only collusion if all participating parties initially had intent to go after the full lot.
How can you prove intent?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
D.B. Cooper

I need someone to buy the 1909 Obak set and then sell me the Speas.

I know that will happen. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Barry Sloate

Dan- we've had this discussion many times, and I was always the one who suggested these groups were colluding to keep the bids down. But now I realize there can be extenuating circumstances.

Say there is a large lot of cards that appears likely to sell for around 10K. And let's suppose that five collectors can each use quite a few cards in the lot, but none of them can afford to spend that much. As a result, they form a group and bid on it that way. In that example, you've actually created an extra bidder, because individually none of them would have bid.

I imagine intent has something to do with whether or not it is collusion, but I don't know legally know how it can be determined.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
I collect series 3 also, and am particularly interested in the Crable , Galveston card. I've been trying to get this card for about 17 years now
Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Mike

I would really like some of the bf2's in lot #556:
Harry Coveleskie
Josh Devore
Joe Gedeon
Miller Huggins
Bill Killefer
Bill James
and Joe Jackson

If the winner is not interested in parting with all of these, please keep me in mind for one of the Joe Jackson pennants.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Old Judge Lot 36

I'll keep Tony Turner company by saying I, too, would be interested in some cards in the lot containing the Louisville players (not necessarily the Louisville players, Tony, and specifically not Stratton ).
Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Andy Garden

Anybody looking to partner up on Lot #278? It's a lot of 56 SGC 50 206s.

Best,

Andy
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
R Dixon

Default T210-3 Lot

If you're interested in going in on the T210-3 lot, please PM me your email address. I'll send out a group email and we can go from there.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 AM
John

Is anyone interested in the T210-1 lot?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:23 AM

I've been on both sides of the collective bidding coin, consigning and as a bidding partner. I agree with Barry and others that it actually many times helps the seller because collectors will get together to bid on and buy a lot/set when each collector only needs a portion of the total lot/set.
I don't consider it in any way collusion because I know on the last three or four sets I have bid on with others, I and several others of the partners wouldn't have been able to financially bid on and buy the whole item and thus would have been knocked out of the bidding. Thus the "cabal" style bidding did not reduce the number of bidders and thus lower the final price for the seller but instead kept a very active and competitive bidder involved and brought the price up.
Just my 2 cents.....
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
MikeHealer

Last edited by Mikehealer; 04-21-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Sean Brennan

I wouldnt mind getting in on the big m101 lot. Anyone else into this?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Brian Wolf

Default REA Lot 287: 81 T206 SGC 60s

I am pursuing this lot and there will be 14 cards I do not need. If anyone is interested in these 14 cards as a lot, let me know what you'd be willing to pay. If we agree on the price, I will sell you the cards should I be fortunate enough to win the lot.

The 14 cards are:

Davidson
Demmitt (NY)
Devlin
Dougherty (portrait)
Fiene (throwing)
Gray
Hoffman
McBride
Merkle (portrait)
Mowrey
Payne
Seymour (portrait)
Heinie Smith
Snodgrass (catching)

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Larry

Anybody interested in partnering in on lot 788, the '51 Wheaties Premiums? I'm after the main card, of course (Mantle), and possibly the Rizzuto, but don't really want to pay for the other hall-of-famers. I would assume that the Mantle in PSA 6 alone would fetch $1500-$2000, based on past sales.

Larry
Old 04-22-2011, 12:35 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Is anyone interested in partnering on the T206 Wagner? i'd think we can cut it up, have a restorer make a brand new Wagner out of each of the pieces, sell all the copies, and come out way ahead.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Is anyone interested in partnering on the T206 Wagner? i'd think we can cut it up, have a restorer make a brand new Wagner out of each of the pieces, sell all the copies, and come out way ahead.
LMAO, classic!

Jay you owe me a new keyboard I think the Coke I spit out of my mouth may have an effect on it....

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-22-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Yeah good one but actually not too far fetched. Where is the line between restored and counterfeit, between restored and contrived?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Rich Klein

Default Jay

I think that has been in a slightly different way before -- with a group of people all owning a "share" in a Wagner card

Rich
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I think that has been in a slightly different way before -- with a group of people all owning a "share" in a Wagner card

Rich
In a scenario like Rich described, I wonder who would get the Wagner on the weekends? Or would it be fairer if all parties alternated possession on weekends and major holidays?

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-22-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Make my statement more questionable
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Val Kehl

Default Re REA Lot #568 (M101-4/5s)

Todd, Rhett & Sean,
I am interested in the following 3 cards from this lot:
M101-4 #91 Johnson w/blank back.
M101-4 #142 Rixey w/Herpolsheimer back.
M101-5 #130 or # 158 w/Successful Farming back.
Val
ekehl333@aol.com
Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

If anyone is into #353 T206 BLs. I'm interested in the BL350 Grimshaw.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Brief update -

I have a teams interested in the e97s, z18s and EUnc orange borders. I'll be starting to organize things in the next day or so if you have interest in any of these, let me know.

Anyone out there interested in the e90-3s? Haven't heard back from anybody on that group yet....